Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working on a library for using mobiles and tablets as controllers (for Java games)

• 10-07-2013 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Still not finished my first project, and for some reason i decided I wanted to do this!

I'm calling it "More Controllers Please"

Basically, you will be able to add this library to your java code and with a couple of lines of code be able to receive controller input from any device with a touchpad.

I've seen some apps do this before, where you need to download a separate controller app from the market, but mine will not require you to download any apps, or require an internet connection

The initial release will only have a standard controller screen to use, but I am planning on extending it so you can customize it to shape the controller however you want.

I'm hoping to have an alpha build of this ready in the next couple of weeks, would anyone be interested in trying it on their game?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Got an initial version of this working with my game last night. Way too rough to release though!

Also I only tried late last night, but it didnt work when I deployed my game on the ouya (the game is crashing, classNotfound on eventListenerList or something) so need to debug that.

Lag-wise it seems pretty decent, didnt notice anything tbh. Now maybe you might not be able to play super meat boy, but i think it will be perfectly fine for most games.

So the controller part is written using html5, and i need to spend a bit of time on that too. Currently its possible to not send the button up event if you slide your finger from the button rather than lift it. Hopefully it should be ok to sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It is intended to be very open and usable (well the usable is subjective! :) )

I have the source available on my github:
    https://github.com/witnessmenow/MoreControllersPlease

It works on android and desktop now.

The default controller is a poc mess, but if you go to Ipaddress:port/canvas that one is much better. It completely adjusts to the size of the screen of the device its on.

Mm4TWuX.png

Android has a bit of a problem with it which does limit its usefulness a good bit:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17642281/touchmove-event-only-starts-when-user-moves-their-first-finger

In the coming weeks I'm hoping to knock out a few POC games to show what you can do with the library.
    E.g a texas hold'em game, a messaging system etc

Advertisement