Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it so windy here in Jersey?

Options
  • 10-07-2013 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭

Like in Ireland, it's very sunny here in Jersey at the moment but we're being blasted by an F4/F5 north-easterly wind which, although warm, is a right pain for my golf game!!

Anyway, looking at the weather charts, I don't understand how the wind is so strong considering how far apart the isobars are. If this was a low pressure system, the winds wouldn't be so strong so I don't understand why a high pressure system differs in this respect.

I always thought that wind speed was determined by how closely packed the isobars are, but I must be wrong!

2whl79y.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There is a difference of 5 hectopascals in a relatively short distance between the English Channel and Northern France.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

As Jpmarn said, if you look at the pressure chart in your post there is very little pressure difference over the UK and Ireland but you can see the isobars closer together near your neck of the woods, so it's bound to be a bit windier there in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

But is the wind strength not determined by how close the isobars are? I'm just speaking in relation to some of the low pressure systems we've had here recently that had them packed more tightly together yet they produced wind of similar strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Here is a better example, notice the areas of closest isobars matching up with the area of highest wind gusts. (Mostly over the sea/close to shore since inland European areas wont experience the same winds due to drag)

BbxAXGN.gif

Cu9I8Mp.gif

There is probably some type of local funnelling effect due to the channel happening there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Perfect, great explanation. Thanks Maq!

• Advertisement
Advertisement