Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Closure of Motors "Chat" thread

Options
  • 10-07-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to make a valid proposal to the Mods and users of Motors over the closure of the "Chat" thread.

During my time here and in my previous incarnation, I've enjoyed the straight talking, infinite knowledge base that existed within motors.

Since the Off Topic thread started and failed and the rehashed version have come along, there's a notable decline in the standard / quality of posting within the forum. What's happened is that "cliques" now exist in certain elements and the chat thread itself is now riddled with flirting and in a lot of cases chat about everything but motors.

I'm not saying that I am not guilty of this myself but it's spread like a virus out into other threads and has frankly only served to push regulars away from the forum out of sheer frustration. It's clearly evident that posters who helped build the forum into what it was are now actively avoiding it.

Maybe it's closure would be beneficial, maybe it wouldn't. Maybe a heavier hand would improve it, maybe it wouldn't. I suppose that's the purpose of this thread.

Opinions / Thoughts?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

I've never understood the need to have off-topic chat threads. It seems like every forum has one now. Why? Surely the threads themselves and After Hours would be enough for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I don't have an issue with Off Topic threads personally.

My main gripe is when contagion kicks in and it spreads out into the forum itself which is what I feel has happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I have to be honest, I don't think the problem you're describing is limited to the chat thread.
    When I first joined Boards, I spent a lot I time in the motors forum. It was great.
    But then it turned very cliquey. People were coming in and asking genuine questions but were met with condescending remarks and replies from smart arsed know-it-alls . It turned me totally off the forum and I never go in there anymore.

I've also heard the same from other members of the site who've said they won't go into the motors forum at all because of the general vibe in there.

Obviously not all the posters in there are like that but that's just been my experience of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Closing the chat thread won't get rid of the cliques!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Tallon wrote: »

No, but the chat thread is particularly bad.

• Advertisement

No, but the chat thread is particularly bad.

Care to elaborate!?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've never understood the need to have off-topic chat threads. It seems like every forum has one now. Why? Surely the threads themselves and After Hours would be enough for people.

With the forums I mod it's because communities have formed and users have got to know each other to a point where they want to "chat" to each other rather than post in specific topics.

Of course it won't but it would be a massive step forward in eradicating frankly some of the ridiculous carry on in other threads...... In my opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

MugMugs wrote: »
    What's happened is that "cliques" now exist in certain elements and the chat thread itself is now riddled with flirting and in a lot of cases chat about everything but motors.
    Isn't the point of a chat thread to allow people talk about whatever they want? And would closing the chat thread not just cause any cliquey chat to proliferate into other threads?

I don't believe you can prevent cliques from forming in any community, so better to *attempt* to contain such interactions to a single thread, I'd have thought. A thread that nobody has to read if they don't want to.

Dades wrote: »
    Isn't the point of a chat thread to allow people talk about whatever they want? And would closing the chat thread not just cause any cliquey chat to proliferate into other threads?

I don't believe you can prevent cliques from forming in any community, so better to *attempt* to contain such interactions to a single thread, I'd have thought. A thread that nobody has to read if they don't want to.

A bit of background regarding the history of the threads. The original "Off Topic" Thread was closed off for much the same reasons as above. There was a Feedback thread in this forum over it's closure.

The "Chat" Thread was born with the following OP therein.

1.This thread is for motoring topics which you feel are not worthy of starting a new thread for, banter from a meet or general motoring related chit chat.

2.No lonely hearts (This is not a personal dig at anyone, it's how we feel is the best way to describe what we want to avoid. )

3.Keep it clean.

4.The Motors charter applies.

It's evident from the moment you step foot in there that whilst there is a degree of Motors chat in there that there's also a serious amount of tripe discussed. Fair enough, I don't have to go in there and I actually don't any more. You're right though, you can't stop cliques forming and containing them could be a good way of controlling them but that isn't working here.

The issue here is that it isn't contained anymore. It's actually turned contagious and spread like a virus into other threads. What's happened now is that somebody comes along looking for help and they're at times overwhelmed with running jokes from "chat" posters that have no relevance to their query and cause them to leave the site in frustration.

I feel it's spread so much so that our Mod team who I've got serious respect for have actually lost the will to mod a lot of the time. The forum is riddled with a light hearted banter ridden posting style that frankly and without agenda of insulting anybody is turning the forum into a kindergarten.

There's a significant absence of a mod who is on holidays at present and his absence has shown just how much we need him. I am not having a dig at mods here. They all do a savage job and always have and I don't believe the buck stops with them. I really believe it stops with the members and users of Motors collectively to try and stop this now before it's too late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

OSI wrote: »
    The chat thread needs to be enforced more as THE chat thread. And other threads controlled better in keeping them relevant and discourage the cliquey smart mouth replies in them.

I've noticed since Alanstrainor has gone on holiday that there seems to be far less of a moderator influence in the forum and it has started to spiral towards a big mess.

Have to say I agree with this. Closing the chat thread would be a backwards step but it needs to be made clear that all chat belongs in the chat thread. It's nobody's fault and it's not a case of finger pointing, just the whole lot needs a gentle nudge in the right direction

The Motors forum is about the only forum I post in or even read at this stage and there is a massive knowledge base between all the users but the chat spills into everywhere and dilutes the rest and eventually it turns into a pain in the arse to read

A bit of background regarding the history of the threads. The original "Off Topic" Thread was closed off for much the same reasons as above. There was a Feedback thread in this forum over it's closure.

The "Chat" Thread was born with the following OP therein.

It's evident from the moment you step foot in there that whilst there is a degree of Motors chat in there that there's also a serious amount of tripe discussed. Fair enough, I don't have to go in there and I actually don't any more. You're right though, you can't stop cliques forming and containing them could be a good way of controlling them but that isn't working here.

The issue here is that it isn't contained anymore. It's actually turned contagious and spread like a virus into other threads. What's happened now is that somebody comes along looking for help and they're at times overwhelmed with running jokes from "chat" posters that have no relevance to their query and cause them to leave the site in frustration.

I feel it's spread so much so that our Mod team who I've got serious respect for have actually lost the will to mod a lot of the time. The forum is riddled with a light hearted banter ridden posting style that frankly and without agenda of insulting anybody is turning the forum into a kindergarten.

There's a significant absence of a mod who is on holidays at present and his absence has shown just how much we need him. I am not having a dig at mods here. They all do a savage job and always have and I don't believe the buck stops with them. I really believe it stops with the members and users of Motors collectively to try and stop this now before it's too late.
    To be fair Mugs, there are 5 mods of the forum, 1 is on holidays, 4 are very active...

Have you reported any posts in the thread?

I don't see any valid reason to close it, its stops the needless chit chat on all the other threads in the motors forum

Like you said yourself, you don't go into it, so what's the problem?

To be fair Mugs, there are 5 mods of the forum, 1 is on holidays, 4 are very active...

Have you reported any posts in the thread?

I don't see any valid reason to close it, its stops the needless chit chat on all the other threads in the motors forum

Like you said yourself, you don't go into it, so what's the problem?

Read the post you quoted. The answer is staring you right in the face**

**Hint - It's in the 4th Paragraph.

Read the post you quoted. The answer is staring you right in the face**

**Hint - It's in the 4th Paragraph.
    Read my second sentence....

Read my second sentence....

I fail to see how it's wholly relevant to the point being made here however to answer your question, yes. :confused:

Point is, if you report said posts, it builds a better case for closing the thread, or reigning it in a bit

Posting your '4th paragraph' without context or links is hard to make an informed decision on it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Tallon, to be fair to MugMugs you posted this:
    While quoting this:

---

MugMugs, it sounds like some of the chit chat in "help requested" threads needs to be curtailed, alright. I'd still see the chat thread as being more of a flycatcher than a breeding ground however. Closing it at this point would make the issue worse (imo, of course - it's not my call).

If don't know if you do already, but reporting posts would be really useful.

Advertisement