Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analysing blog content for SEO purposes?

Options
  • 10-07-2013 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Did a search through old threads on effective blogging etc, but am wondering if there are any tools you would recommend that could help analysing blog posts.

For example, is there something that could help identify the percentage or amount of times a keyword was used, so as not to overload/keyword stuff a blog post with unnatural and bad looking phrases.

I know it's as much down to what you write. As in, write quality articles as opposed to rubbish keyword stuffed ones.

But is there something I could use as a yardstick/checklist once I finished writing a blog post. I could then say "hmmm, I might try and get in a few more sentences with a particular keyword or search term", or "hmmm, looks like I need to change my titles or my sub headings".....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

It should be all about user experience and relevance rather than kw stuffing nowadays, that tends to reflect how the algorithms are evolving.

There's a pretty good blogpost on this topic on Moz - my SEO bible! - http://moz.com/blog/how-to-blog-successfully-about-anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Cheers for the link. I knew I had come across something before. I agree with you. Quality over anything else. Give people a reason to read or link to you.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The value from an extra 10 instances of your keyword on the page is far less than earning one good editorial link from a source that doesn't think you're a search spammer.
    From the book you just linked to in the other thread.

Rule of Thumb: Write for your users, not SEO. (That doesn't mean neglect SEO, if anything use keywords properly under the bonnet as opposed to stuffing within article content)

Yep, I suppose my original question should have been "Is there a checklist for writing good blog posts". A rule of thumb/yardstick thing...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

seachto7 wrote: »
    Yep, I suppose my original question should have been "Is there a checklist for writing good blog posts". A rule of thumb/yardstick thing...

Not really, aside from writing well and ensuring your titles / headings are snappy and engaging.

Think quality of content, pretty much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are several plugins that can help analyse your blog's content.

They won't help you if your content is low quality, but they will help you fix "obvious" issues
    http://yoast.com/wordpress/seo/ is very good and can help remove crud from post titles, add in open graph markup for twitter / facebook / Google+
    and give you some assistance in tweaking the content to make it work better for search engines

It won't help you if you're trying to trick them ie. blackhat junk ..

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

The idea that you would worry about keyword density is old hat! Just write normally, with content that will interest your users and you're unlikely to run into any keyword stuffing issues. www.copyblogger.com is great for consistently good blogging advice.

Yes, I would have used yoast before, but need to revisit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

seachto7 wrote: »
    I know it's as much down to what you write. As in, write quality articles as opposed to rubbish keyword stuffed ones.
    It is more to do with the numbers of those who read what you write. Remember the Borg (Google) has a lot of data culled from readership and user patterns that are used as inputs to their algorithms. Spun content and keyword loaded content would, from what I remember, have very different statistical profiles (keyword distance, keyword frequency etc) to ordinary content.
    But is there something I could use as a yardstick/checklist once I finished writing a blog post. I could then say "hmmm, I might try and get in a few more sentences with a particular keyword or search term", or "hmmm, looks like I need to change my titles or my sub headings".....
    The other aspect that you've missed is the link profile for the post. If you have unmoderated pingbacks and comments, then it is going to be difficult to have your blog identified as being of high quality. Immediately cull me-too replies and linkdrop replies. This might help boost the perceived quality of the blog.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement