Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Outdoor Swim

Options
  • 10-07-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭

Ok so planning to go for a dip after work. Where is a good spot either sea or just fresh water to go for a swim. Doesnt have to be a beach either just someplace nice and not too manic..

I spotted one place on the way into Dripsey village before but never stopped there so not too sure if tis worth the drive out..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

One of the nicest places I've found in Cork for swimming is the South Harbour in Cape clear.

xSouth_Harbour_,28Ineer,29_Clear_Island_County_Cork_070.jpg.pagespeed.ic.dJfPpWUfyz.jpg

It's a bit far out so the only suggestion I have is:

caesarspool.jpg

Although I don't think doggies are generally included with paddling pools.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

haha I was just talking in work and a pool for the dog was suggested to cool her down. this spot looks great was kinda hoping for somewhere a little closer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Sandy Cove is a lovely swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Roberts Cove is a nice spot for a swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Milly33 wrote: »
    haha I was just talking in work and a pool for the dog was suggested to cool her down. this spot looks great was kinda hoping for somewhere a little closer

I saw on a site somewhere a dog collar that you can fill with ice cubes or cool water. There's an outdoor version where the ice melts and simulates sweating for the dog and an indoor version that doesn't drip but cools around their neck, chest and head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ger89

Fountainstown is great just now, water nice and warm. You could go to the further-off beach for sunbathing and a bit of peace and quiet, then head back to the main area for a swim when the tide starts returning from around 4 p.m. on. Also a good bus service to Fountainstown from City Centre.

I know sandycove alrite tis a lovely spot just a little bit further away. I didn't know a bus ran to Fountainstown interesting...Does it run for the City Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Do people swim out in Inniscarra?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

cantdecide wrote: »
    Do people swim out in Inniscarra?

They do,,,but it's actually not allowed.

Just heard it on the radio a few minutes ago. Cork County Council were on about it,,but I'm not sure if it's enforced.

was listening to it too. I suppose the dam would be safe enough but I have heard some spots aren't around there. Someplace called the hell hole because there is a big hole as such with strong currents/ants there..

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    I know sandycove alrite tis a lovely spot just a little bit further away. I didn't know a bus ran to Fountainstown interesting...Does it run for the City Centre
    Yeah, get it at the Bus Station in Parnell Place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

such a silly thing to do..What a bunch of muppets too for attacking those trying to help.. On the happier note went back to garryvoe again and ohh suits you twas loverly. The water is lovely an clear there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Had a dip in Roberts Cove the other day. It was brilliant. Water was actually somewhat warm. Not a huge amount of people there either which was a major plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Been in most days over the last two weeks and the water had been fairly cold for july up till about 10 days ago. Lovely now though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

gimmick wrote: »
    Had a dip in Roberts Cove the other day. It was brilliant. Water was actually somewhat warm. Not a huge amount of people there either which was a major plus.

I was down by Robert's Cove the other evening and the water was covered with seaweed :(. It did not look tempting at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ya there was quite a bit of seaweed but it wasn't all that thick and it doesn't go all the way out. I wouldn't be discouraged over it.

Had a swim out in Harbour View on Saturday. Water was beautiful and warm. Some seaweed there as well but not enough to be a problem.

Advertisement