Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circling planes

Options
  • 10-07-2013 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does anyone else find the light aircraft continuously circling over Galway city very irritating? That constant drone is really getting on my nerves. I'm trying to work goddamit :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Is it just me or does anyone else find the light aircraft continuously circling over Galway city very irritating? That constant drone is really getting on my nerves. I'm trying to work goddamit :rolleyes:

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd never noticed before, but they really spoiled a romantic stroll down Nimmo's Pier on Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

First world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Saw this over the last two days. I saw people parachuting from it on Monday and on Tuesday I saw what looked like same plane climbing up very high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I'd never noticed before, but they really spoiled a romantic stroll down Nimmo's Pier on Sunday evening.

That was the paparazzi following you :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

First world problems.

Oh no! Is the Celtic tiger back?

First world problems.

no not really , it was just interfering with my naked sunbathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You have little to worry about if thats all thats bothering you, at Weston in Dublin they are in the air all day and at clonnmelouge its a sport.

Judging by the success of the park and ride the airport may not be open much longer anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Where are the skydivers landing?

• Advertisement

They land on the green areas at the Airport, the Airport which is doing very well with general aviation, Coastguard and Air corps helicopters and aircraft and private jets owned or hired by major companies in Galway bringing in senior exs, so things are not all doom and gloom out there, lets hope that some day we will see flights to the UK again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

kraggy wrote: »

I'm no expert, but I'd guess on the ground maybe??
    ( I'll get my coat)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

That constant drone is coming from the aircraft that is parachuting.

ratracer wrote: »
    ( I'll get my coat)

Storm 10 wrote: »
    They land on the green areas at the Airport, the Airport which is doing very well with general aviation, Coastguard and Air corps helicopters and aircraft and private jets owned or hired by major companies in Galway bringing in senior exs, so things are not all doom and gloom out there, lets hope that some day we will see flights to the UK again

no need for flights to UK from there. Knock and Shannon are only an hour away and Dublin is only 2.30 away. No need for it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

ratracer wrote: »
    ( I'll get my coat)

I stupidly asked a skydiving instructor
    "If the main parachute doesn't open, how long have you before you need to pull the emergency parachute?"

His answer - "The rest of your life"

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

does anyone else find the light aircraft continuously circling over Galway city very irritating? That constant drone is really getting on my nerves.

Its great to see and hear aircraft in the air :)
    if you're at work, well, it may become a bit irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

It's the bear partrol keeping our city a bear free zone. Would you rather the place be over run with them?

no need for flights to UK from there. Knock and Shannon are only an hour away and Dublin is only 2.30 away. No need for it there.

And Carnmore is 10 minutes away. Competition.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    And Carnmore is 10 minutes away. Competition.

Except commercial jets can't use Carnmore.

And those companies that use the type of plane that can use Carnmore, aren't competitive enough to offer decent prices.

• Advertisement

Well I flew twice from Galway to Malaga on a BAE 146 which carries 100 passengers, that is a commercial aircraft,
    it flew to Malaga very Saturday and Lorient via Waterford midweek, great service you could arrive 30 minutes before departure and board. it ran for three years and operated by Aer arann with a leased aircraft, A few years ago a British Airways one came in for the races and there was one there last year

The 146 is pretty much the only sizable jet that's run commercially now that's capable of using Carnmore but there aren't many left. It's on the way out.

Even at that it's not very big. More importantly, none of the popular airlines use them. They all use either 737s or airbus 320s or 321s. None of them can fly into Galway. Ryanair only has 737s. Are Lingus only has airbuses, as do easyjet.

Without a runway extension, Carnmore is a dead duck. Even with an extension, it doesn't stand much of a chance of attracting commercial business.

Galway Airport very busy to day lot of private and Air Corps activity similiar yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

its great to see the airport busy , and they are more noisy than normal flights as they really have to gun their engines to get to their jump height with a full load.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

On the airport grounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There was one circling around the western part of town today.
    It was really really loud to the point of drowning out a conversation! They should fit a muffler on their engine thingyimajik or feic off over the bay

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

snubbleste wrote: »
    There was one circling around the western part of town today.
    It was really really loud to the point of drowning out a conversation! They should fit a muffler on their engine thingyimajik or feic off over the bay

Loud pipes save lives...

(Don't worry, i'm getting my coat..) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Why are they circling over the town causing a noise nuisance & a safety risk?

Why not circle over open country or the sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Discodog wrote: »

Yesterdays plane was an Air Corps spotter plane which provides aerial cover to cash in transit deliveries to the banks, it happens almost every Monday.

http://www.military.ie/air-corps/fleet/cessna-172/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Discodog wrote: »

Why not circle over open country or the sea?

In the normal course of events a plane will land into the direction of the wind (more of a breeze these days). When they have to circle they will do so down wind so as to fly into the wind when landing. Unusually the wind/breeze has been coming from the east lately so the planes will circle to the west of the airfield so as to land into the breeze - putting them over town.

Advertisement