Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circling planes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I arrived in Oranmore about 2:30, there have been planes circling since then(7 pm now), the noise is driving me mad it's like listening to a demented bluebottle. Is there any noise nuisance regulations for planes ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They are a licenced parachute club, its a very popular sport , Friday is charity jump days I work not far from the Airport dont bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I arrived in Oranmore about 2:30, there have been planes circling since then(7 pm now), the noise is driving me mad it's like listening to a demented bluebottle. Is there any noise nuisance regulations for planes ?

God help you if you were around a few years ago when the Aer Aran planes used to land, that was loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Like you anto I just keep having to respond to posters giving out about aircraft in Galway , I have a friend in Dublin living near the Airport and under the flight path, in Summer plane every few minutes non stop all day and like Heathrow Dublin does not close for night flights so its 24/7. Wonder how these people would manage in Dublin or near Heathrow where you have a plane over your house every minute.

antoobrien wrote: »
    God help you if you were around a few years ago when the Aer Aran planes used to land, that was loud.

The Aer Aran planes were very quiet

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Like you anto I just keep having to respond to posters giving out about aircraft in Galway , I have a friend in Dublin living near the Airport and under the flight path, in Summer plane every few minutes non stop all day and like Heathrow Dublin does not close for night flights so its 24/7. Wonder how these people would manage in Dublin or near Heathrow where you have a plane over your house every minute.

Storm 10 I know the feeling, I lived under the southerly approach to Dublin airport for a while. It was loud at first, but you got used to it fairly quickly and just ignored it - a bit like the early morning trains going through Renmore.

May I ask where were you when these "quiet" planes were approaching the airport, because if you think they were quiet then you must have been stone deaf (or got the hearing aid repaired/replaced).

No need to be a prick

No need to be a prick

Considering I have lived under an approach for Dublin airport and live in the vicinity of the airport here, your whining about a sound that is barely noticeable is sounding ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Alright guys. Stop with the baiting and antagonising. It's not helping anyone. Please continue this discussion with a bit more civility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Considering I have lived under an approach for Dublin airport and live in the vicinity of the airport here, your whining about a sound that is barely noticeable is sounding ridiculous.

its not barely noticeable. Aer arann planes did not sound like an out of tune Honda 50 roaring over your head half the day during the only fine spell since 1995.

its not barely noticeable. Aer arann planes did not sound like an out of tune Honda 50 roaring over your head half the day during the only fine spell since 1995.

It is barely noticeable, I only hear the thing when it's landing/taking off (whichever direction takes it near home).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I like how on here just because some people are not annoyed by it, it therefore means no one should be annoyed by the sound of these planes, and Gordongekko is right, it's a completely different sound to the Aer Arann planes, and also, Aer Arann used to just land and take off...they didn't continuously circle overhead. I have no problem with the planes themselves, the people who use them, or events they are used for etc. I just don't like how they have to keep circling the city any fine day we have.

I like how on here just because some people are not annoyed by it, it therefore means no one should be annoyed by the sound of these planes, and Gordongekko is right, it's a completely different sound to the Aer Arann planes, and also, Aer Arann used to just land and take off...they didn't continuously circle overhead. I have no problem with the planes themselves, the people who use them, or events they are used for etc. I just don't like how they have to keep circling the city any fine day we have.

The air corps helicopters is also a very different sound and also fades away fairly quickly. comparisons of a plane circling at several thousand feet with a honda 50 revving at the back door are laughable. The squad cars/ambulances that tore out past briarhill last night made more sustained noise than the weekends parachuting activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭johnsds

Damn right ATR 42 and ATR 72 type aircraft are very quiet and economical.

L O L

I just don't like how they have to keep circling the city any fine day we have.

Well the Airport is close enough to the city so that circling will take them over the city as the aircraft climbs slowly in a large climbing circle pattern ( Loud Droning Engine Noise ) and the turboprop aircraft needs to get to its optimal parachute height usually anything above 2,000AGL and needs lift so the wind direction is a factor there and it also needs to be at a right spot in the sky for the parachutists to safely navigate to the Airport once they have exited the aircraft, also the aircraft is laden with fuel and parachutists so it will essentially take a while to climb to whatever safe jump height they have determined for their relative jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Circling over any built up area is wrong both from the aspect of noise & safety.

There is a lot of open land & sea available. Maybe the pilots choose to circle over the town as it's more appealing to the paying passengers?

I once lived near a gliding club. They had a rota for towplanes to ensure that there wouldn't be over flying of the same areas.

johnsds wrote: »
    L O L

Ever under them when they came in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Damn right ATR 42 and ATR 72 type aircraft are very quiet and economical.

Economical maybe. Quiet - you gotta be joking. Was on one last week and was in Shannon yesterday when they were taking off and landing.

• Advertisement

You expect noise if you choose to live next to an airport. You don't expect it, in a quiet suburban garden, miles from an airport.

Discodog wrote: »
    You expect noise if you choose to live next to an airport. You don't expect it, in a quiet suburban garden, miles from an airport.

The end of the runway is 2.5km from Doughiska and just under 3km from Oranmore village, so yeah I'd expect it in a suburban garden.

The end of the runway is 2.5km from Doughiska and just under 3km from Oranmore village, so yeah I'd expect it in a suburban garden.

In Salthill? The takeoff & landing aren't the issue. It's the circling, under full power, to gain height that causes the nuisance.

There is nothing stopping them from flying away from the city, gaining height & retuning to the field for the drop.

Any nuisance is easily avoided.

Circling over any built up area is wrong both from the aspect of noise & safety.

No its not. It is not restricted military airspace, provided there are no active NOTAMS ( Notice To All Airmen/Women ) it is civilian controlled airspace so it is fair game for any pilot to fly where he/she likes once and including all procedures are followed such as comms with Galway/Shannon ATC.
    There is a lot of open land & sea available. Maybe the pilots choose to circle over the town as it's more appealing to the paying passengers?

Possibly but also consider from a safety point of view, if your landing spot as you make a parachute jump was Galway Airport, then would you prefer to exit the aircraft over the Galway Airport/Galway City general area as that's where you can safely drift down to the Airport with the prevailing winds which play a huge factor in any jump or would you like to exit the Aircraft from farther away.

They could just as easily climb over open farmland to the East - after all they are circling to gain height rather than flying directly into the wind. Then make a final approach to the airport.

If noise restrictions were put in place then they would soon adapt.

I would rather lose an engine upwind of the airport & over open fields rather than downwind & over the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Possibly but also consider from a safety point of view, if your landing spot as you make a parachute jump was Galway Airport, then would you prefer to exit the aircraft over the Galway Airport/Galway City general area as that's where you can safely drift down to the Airport with the prevailing winds which play a huge factor in any jump or would you like to exit the Aircraft from farther away.

I would certainly prefer to exit the aircraft over terrain that provided alternative landing areas. Particularly if, as once happened to me, the winds were so strong that I could not make it back to the drop zone.

Open farmland would be infinitely preferable to city streets or the sea - provided there were no high-tension lines. Bad news high-tension lines.

Ever under them when they came in?

Yes under the ATR 72 and ATR 42 and the Avro RJ's when they operated there.

Yes under the ATR 72 and ATR 42 and the Avro RJ's when they operated there.

Not exactly quiet buggers when you're near the end of the runway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 airdogace

That's nonsense. In fact much of the comment here is nonsense. Let's ruin it with a few facts.

Yes the planes are noisy something both the operator and the airport are conscious of. Actually each flight takes a different path so no one area has to be subjected to all the noise. So yes occasionally the aircraft crosses the city even as far as Salthill. But the same could be said of Athenry, Craughwell and all points of the compass. In fact generally from a noise point of view you disturb less people because cities are inherently noisy places and most people in town never hear it. In a quiet country area the noise is more obvious. But no one area is going have the planes overhead twenty times a day unless it's right at the airport.

There is no safety issue with overflying Galway city as it's usually at a high enough altitude and in the event of an emergency the plane can easily reach the airport or find a field nearby. I'm sorry to disillusion you people but Galway is not a sprawling metropolis. Even if the jumpers exited out over Eyre Square they could easily steer away from built up areas into open countryside or parks.

Plus in all seriousness do you think the pilots involved are stupid and don't know their job? They're professionals and are fully aware of the rules and safety issues. They will not risk their lives the lives of the passengers or risk losing their licences by doing stupid things.

Another issue is weather, when there's cloud or rain showers around these must avoided. This might have the effect of funnelling the aircraft onto certain routes. That's unavoidable.

On another point if the noisy plane is Dark Green and circling the city on a Monday, don't call the airport. It's nothing to do with them. It's the Air Corps on official business. Call the Minister for Defence to complain.

Also if you have a problem with the noise by all means contact the airport or the operator. It is taken seriously and both are conscious of the issue. It is not in their interests to antagonise local people.

Do not for one minute imagine they are buzzing around in a careless cavalier fashion not caring who they annoy. That's far from the truth.

• Advertisement

I stand by my comment regarding safety. You would only circle over a city if it was unavoidable. Every aspect of aviation is designed to minimise risk.

I am an aviation enthusiast. When I was gliding in the UK we were taught to avoid towns. If and I agree that it's an unlikely if, the plane suffered a major failure it could be incapable of a controlled decent.

I support the use of the airport. If the pilots are using noise abatement measures & varying the route then there should be minimum disturbance.

Advertisement