Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circling planes

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 airdogace

In fact while it may appear to be circling the city. They may well be over the bay and even if it was right over the town, short of the aircraft being shot out of the sky by an irate resident. The likelihood of it falling into Shop street is nil.

Yes definitely noise abatement procedures are in place. But it's unavoidable that someone will get irritated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Out of interest for the aircraft enthusiasts (like me) what kind of plane is it?

They're GA8 Airvans, Australian made 8 seaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Long may it last, great boost for the Airport and especially all the charities that the people jump for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

airdogace wrote: »
    They're GA8 Airvans, Australian made 8 seaters.

Ta very much for the info - have you actually left the seats in them or are they modified for the jump school?

Looking at them it doesn't look like you could have steps or put people out onto the wing struts for the jump ala cessnas etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭johnsds

Discodog wrote: »
    I stand by my comment regarding safety.

You should visit Dublin or London Heathrow or any other airport for that matter and see the way they stack aircraft.

Discodog wrote: »
    I am an aviation enthusiast. When I was gliding in the UK we were taught to avoid towns. If and I agree that it's an unlikely if, the plane suffered a major failure it could be incapable of a controlled decent.

Why were you taught to avoid towns in a glider?

Only in the most extreme of cases can an aircraft be incapable of a controlled descent. You can fly for quite a bit with one engine off/feathered.

Cessnas can do that very well.

Ta very much for the info - have you actually left the seats in them or are they modified for the jump school?

Looking at them it doesn't look like you could have steps or put people out onto the wing struts for the jump ala cessnas etc.
    Straight out the door. :eek: Check out youtube or the website. There are hundreds of videos of jumps there. Some great scenic views of Galway too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

johnsds wrote: »
    You should visit Dublin or London Heathrow or any other airport for that matter and see the way they stack aircraft.

I was sctually in a stack over London City waiting our turn to land in Heathrow, we were on top, pilot told us there were five aircraft below us seperated by 1,000 feet gaps as one departed we dropped down to become no 4. now let me see five aircraft circling a hugely populated City of 9 milluon with a couple of hundred passengers and we have people here giving out about a tiny plane over Galway, Unreal what people complain about can you imagine the noise from these jets as they circled above.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

I arrived in Oranmore about 2:30, there have been planes circling since then(7 pm now), the noise is driving me mad it's like listening to a demented bluebottle. Is there any noise nuisance regulations for planes ?

Seems like I am not alone, I live in Roscam and most good days recently its like having a lawn mower hanging over the house for hours with a few breaks in between.
    :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I was sctually in a stack over London City waiting our turn to land in Heathrow, we were on top, pilot told us there were five aircraft below us seperated by 1,000 feet gaps as one departed we dropped down to become no 4. now let me see five aircraft circling a hugely populated City of 9 milluon with a couple of hundred passengers and we have people here giving out about a tiny plane over Galway, Unreal what people complain about can you imagine the noise from these jets as they circled above.

The noise of London city itself is just a bit different to that of Galway city, it's quite understandable why some people would give out about the noise of "a tiny plane" over a small quiet city.

Personally plane noise doesn't bother me in the slightest, I actually quite like it :pac:

• Advertisement

Seems like I am not alone, I live in Roscam and most good days recently its like having a lawn mower hanging over the house for hours with a few breaks in between.
    :mad:
    Hours? Most flights last just over twenty minutes. More like five minutes if that.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

airdogace wrote: »
    Hours? Most flights last just over twenty minutes. More like five minutes if that.

airdogace you are wasteing your time responding to some of the posters here, they would find a fault with anything, they have very little in their lives to be giving out about if all that bothers them is a small plane in the Sky, I live in the City have seen the plane lots of times over Galway Bay and othere areas, it never bothers me. Bunch of whingers to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Chicken1 wrote: »
    they have very little in their lives to be giving out about if all that bothers them is a small plane in the Sky

When your trying to enjoy the garden on a nice day,, the noise bothers me alright.

Advertisement