Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Online Seller Postage Service-Demand or Not?

Options
  • 10-07-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi, We are a distributor based in Monaghan. We are launching a new packaging site next month, it will be specifically aimed at providing the new Royal Mail packaging , which is termed as PIP packaging (PIP being pricing in proportion). Basically the Royal Mail have defined certain pack sizes and weights that will sit in certain pricing brackets for their service.

It is obviously a big market given amount of UK and Irish online sellers at present.

My question for those on here is that I am considering an add on service, what I would term a fulfillment service for Irish sellers seeking easy shipping access to UK. Or particularly if you are unhappy with what An Post offers or did not wish to have your own warehouse/storage costs. What we can offer is warehousing, packaging and fulfillment via Royal Mail given we are close to border with NI. Is this something that would appeal to online sellers on here? Any feedback welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

I would think that most online initial small sme's could use your service to start out with
    1. Royal mail is cheaper
    2. Northern Ireland has 2 markets (Ireland & Uk) as opposed to inflated costs with recorded postage with An post to the Uk
    3. Fullfillment, Pick & Pack services. Most small startup online businesses dont have the premises, cant afford to have 1 tonne of product lying around, cant afford volumes of packaging,

Initially small businesses must start out, but this may be your niche.. there are 2-3 that i have personally looked into for a website 1 is based on the Naas road near Newlands cross.
    Pickandpack.ie is another operator.

I would think there is sufficient scope for this kind of business whether there is enough market for another opearator is another question. The business model i have seen is a set charge for 20-30 parcels a month for 39.99 and you have additional costs per extra parcel over that, there are seperate charges for slower or higher peak times etc and can easily be changed.

Versatility is key - and something like this although im operating online (without physical products) not what i need now it would certainly appeal to me in the near future especially the fact you have royal mail as a carrier with the link to britain etc. You may have something which none of those other sites have so you may have some competitive advantages..

Advertisement