Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hawke scopes?

Options
  • 10-07-2013 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Question for you lads in the know. I had nearly made up my mind on a varmint sf 6-24-44 to go on a new .17. I have a N sterling on the 22 and it does ok,but i want to get something just a little bit better for the new purchase. Looking at the internet today, a nite-eye and an eclipse 30 caught my eye for a bit more. Read the specs,so just wondering what your experiences on the differences are in the field/range.Thanks in advance lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

Ra1mondo wrote: »
    Question for you lads in the know. I had nearly made up my mind on a varmint sf 6-24-44 to go on a new .17. I have a N sterling on the 22 and it does ok,but i want to get something just a little bit better for the new purchase. Looking at the internet today, a nite-eye and an eclipse 30 caught my eye for a bit more. Read the specs,so just wondering what your experiences on the differences are in the field/range.Thanks in advance lads.

i have 3 hawke scopes 3-9 x50 hd a 3-9 hd ir and a 3-12 hd ir
    first was on an air rifle second is on a .22lr and the 3-12 was on a .223.
    i dont think you can beat them for the price range. only ever had a problem with the 3-12 hd ir one day it was just fuzzy sent it back to hawke in the UK and i will have a new one this week. they said Parallax out of focus and sending a new one, it is one year old this week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I also have three.

Sidewinder 30 in 8-32
    Sidewinder 30 in 6-24
    Varmint SF in 6-24

All three scopes are brilliant especially considering the price. They are robust, accurate, hold zero, have numerous features not found on higher costing scopes, and never loose point of impact when adjusting zoom.

I have the exact model you are talking about on my .22lr. She is clear, and light transmission if perfectly for the caliber. IOW even if it were to get faded at longer rangs the calibers limit means it's fine for all my shooting. The same will hold true for the .17hmr.

She has side focus (so no fixed parallax), 1/4" clicks and mil dot reticle. Everything you'd need and all for under €190 brand new. IMO it beats other brands that cost up to €70 more such as Bushnell, etc.

The Eclipse 30 is very similar to the Sidewinder 30. Same tube size, but a little less magnification range. However i'd have no problem recommending one, and at around €120 - €200 less than the Sidewinder it's good value.

All you need do is determine how much mag you need then choose the model that gives you what you need and is within your budget.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

They'll do all you need and more on a HMR. Unless you plan on doing target shooting with the hmr id go for one with a bit less mag then you mentioned. 4-16x50 is plenty I found. I rarely go over 10-12 on mine and can shoot easily at 150 yards without adjusting. Another thing is with the higher mag you'll have to adjust parallax for each shot on anything much over 10 to have a clear view for different ranges.

eclipse 30 side focus 4-16x50 would be my choice.

http://www.deben.com/hawke-riflescopes.html

good sight to browse all models. Good prices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I had a nite eye and I'd never go back after using the sidewinder. Had it on my 22 and I was just never happy with it so put on a cheap scope and its alot more comfortable and reliable.

The sidewinder is on my 243 and is a savage scope I'm delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ra1mondo

Thank you all. I am so happy that none of you (so far), have told me to save up for a zeiss,leupold or s&b. Just want to be comfortable out. Enjoy reading all your posts,and replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Another vote for the Nite-eye and the Varmin there.

Have the 6.5-20x50 AO Nite-Eye, and the 6-24x44 SF Varmint - both excellent value scopes for the money and entirely appropriate for short range work.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

Just got my sports hd 3-12 back today on a Saturday at 10am. full replacement perfect glass again

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ra1mondo

Thanks lads.Getting a price from my man locally for both nite eye and varmint.I know i will get a good deal on either,so its up to me to choose which.

Advertisement