Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for Renovation/Self-build

Options
  • 10-07-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Has anyone managed to get this lately? I've tried all the previously identified options here from boards:
    • Frost are no longer doing it as they are in the middle of changing underwriter.
    • Hooper Dolan no longer offer it.
    • Munster Group only do it for new-builds.
    • Allianz & FBD don't do it.
    • AIB might, but it won't cover liability.
    Most urgently I need insurance to draw down on the mortgage which has to cover Fire & damage, but I'm even struggling to get this as the house is not really livable at the moment, so regular house insurance won't cover it.

But once works starts I'll also need liability, theft, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

tedimc wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get this lately? I've tried all the previously identified options here from boards:
    • Frost are no longer doing it as they are in the middle of changing underwriter.
    • Hooper Dolan no longer offer it.
    • Munster Group only do it for new-builds.
    • Allianz & FBD don't do it.
    • AIB might, but it won't cover liability.
    Most urgently I need insurance to draw down on the mortgage which has to cover Fire & damage, but I'm even struggling to get this as the house is not really livable at the moment, so regular house insurance won't cover it.

But once works starts I'll also need liability, theft, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PM SENT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

tred wrote: »
    PM SENT

Can u send same to me pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 babs2

could you please pm me too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Got best price of arachas.ie a couple of weeks ago

Hooper Dolan seem to be underwritten by Frost (as were many others) but as you mentioned, its not currently available (may be back online again though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Hooper Doolan are still doing it
    Frost will be back in the market in a month theyre changing underwriters
    Keystone, Campion, FBD, Travelers are all offering self build insurance.

Hooper Doolan & travelers are quoting through Optis who are underwritten by Catlin Ins.

Keystone get their quotes from Arachas so if you get a quote off one the other wont quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 chunkyboy

can I just ask... is there any insurance to cover the actual building during renovations? hoping to build on an extension to the rear of my house but have nightmares about the place falling down!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

Yes. My broker arranged it for me, no problems. You prob won't find this service directly from insurers we went demented trying to get it. . Ring a broker. I recommend Glennons in Portobello .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Soulsent

Frost are back up with their self build product. My broker put me on cover with them last week!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Cost?

€1,400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Thank Soulsent.

Property deal got delayed, so timing is probably bang on.

Can you send on other details: Property size, renovation budget, etc?

Sq ft is 3200 and don t recall needing value to get quote/cover.

Advertisement