Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Blendtec blender to 220v??

Options
  • 10-07-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I was hoping someone could help me with this issue. I have a Blentec blender I brought from the US. I searched online to get info to see if I could convert the interiors to 220V, but could find nothing.
    I have attached a photo of the model number and power info.
    I think I might just need to get a construction transformer? which will not go across well with the wife!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Converting the innards of a domestic appliance to handle 220V instead of 120V is a non-starter. That appliance is rated at 1.56 kW so you will need a heavy-duty transformer.

This is the kind of device you'll need, I don't think your missus will be pleased to have to lug this out and plonk it on the kitchen counter every time she needs to use that blender!

317LjvoF9qL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-TR1500-Transformer-1500VA-Rating/dp/B000R9ZSDI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1373815616&sr=8-11&keywords=110v+transformer

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

Yeah, thanks. This is what I was trying to avoid. I think its my only option though!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey, what did you end up doing with this in the end? I have the same query, my 10 year old Blendtec which I actually got originally from the US, but managed to get a 220v version from a US supplier and it worked out much cheaper than buying in IRE/UK/EUR, has developed issues that doesn't make it feasible to repair due to costs.

The replacement one I want to buy is more than DOUBLE the cost to get it shipped to me from the UK distributor, than it is to get it landed in the US.

I was thinking that since I have the old model, perhaps whatever controls the 220 or 110v power in the unit, could be swapped from my old one into the new one?

I really don't fancy getting a transformer and I've been told by blendtec that the transformers can also lead to unreliable performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

dardis wrote: »
    Yeah, thanks. This is what I was trying to avoid. I think its my only option though!

Might find some internal switch on this teardown if you look closely...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA0kiYqyBmo

note: language used in his vids mayby a little nsfw....

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ozmo wrote: »
    Might find some internal switch on this teardown if you look closely...

A 'switch' - like a 110/220V selector switch inside the machine?

Doesn't work that way. A lot of desktop PCs have a voltage selector around the back but you do not tend to get that with domestic appliances where the motor or heating element is designed to run off the local supply and you cannot adapt it for a different voltage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

coylemj wrote: »
    A 'switch' - like a 110/220V selector switch inside the machine?

Yeah - exactly - I've seen them many times in older and higher quality equipment (this one being a very high quality item)-

But I just checked and you are correct for this device - the official word from the site it says they themselves use the following pictured item to run it on 220v - so even that big yellow trafo is not enough to do it properly as the mains frequency will still be incorrect...

bertha-small.jpg

Wouldnt want that on the kitchen counter :) Looks to be an electric motor running a generator to generate the correct frequency and a variac to select the voltage...
    link

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks again :)

Kinda annoying, this is the one I was after:

https://www.blendtec.com/collections/professional-blenders/products/professional-800?variant=46693387540

$799 on the US site...

£1,299 on the UK site ...

https://blendtec.uk/product/professional-800/

:(

Advertisement