Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 48 mobile deals: €10: 1GB, 300mins, all texts, 60 landline

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

bk wrote: »
    It is a good question and no one seems to know!

I thought 48 was owned by Telefonica and Three just purchases O2 off Telefonica?

Meaning 3 will control the network 48 use but won't own them.

Saying that I'm sure 48's decent prices are due to the fact they can piggyback on the O2 network cheaply or for free and that might change once Three take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

Just got a heads up from a friend of mine, a guy she works with has a contact in 48 months and apparently they're about to go under as a result of the sale of o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gollyn9

Mezcita wrote: »
    How about texts to non Irish mobiles? They don't seem to be covered by the various offers. Is it just a case of buying credit for those?

I want to know this aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

fartyarse wrote: »
    Just got a heads up from a friend of mine, a guy she works with has a contact in 48 months and apparently they're about to go under as a result of the sale of o2.

I just joined them ha ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I just joined them ha ha.

So did I!!! RAGING!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'd question the legitimacy of this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I'd question the legitimacy of this...

Yeah while it may be true I'd think it odd that they would release new plans now if they aren't going to be around in a couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Does it really matter. At worst you'll get a better deal when you switch back to your old network.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The three/Telefonica deal will take about 8 months to get past the competition authority so 48 should be safe for the next 6 months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Senna wrote: »
    Is this an attempt to get the people still on the original €10 (all calls, all texts) off it and onto one of the new plans. I would say if you do change from the original plan you can never go back to it. The wife is on the original plan and she doesn't want to change.

Yeah be careful if you switch from the old €10 all calls and texts deal, to one of the new deals, you can't go back. Its on the web site somewhere, I can't find it now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Oracle wrote: »
    Yeah be careful if you switch from the old €10 all calls and texts deal, to one of the new deals, you can't go back. Its on the web site somewhere, I can't find it now though.

yes you can they have changed that aswell, you can switch as often as you like now.

gustafo wrote: »
    yes you can they have changed that aswell, you can switch as often as you like now.

OK thanks I didn't know they'd changed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Cool :http://community.48months.ie/t5/Need-Help/Standard-Membership-and-The-Don/td-p/1736

Staying on the Standard deal and adding 1Gb of internet for €3 seems sweet. Pity they got rid of the Snacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

For those querying if the 18-22 year old requirement is legal, I can confirm it is not.

Please see the below from the CHARTER OF FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS OF THE EUROPEAN UNION

Article 21
    Non-discrimination
    1. Any discrimination based on any ground such as sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation shall be prohibited.

The above is what led to the reinterpretation of the law regarding discriminating between sex and charging more for men than women for car insurance.

Although there was EU legislation allowing for insurance companies to use statistical information to charge men and women differently, the above took trumps any such legislation as it is a human right under EU law.

So i dont think there is any chance they can refuse someone on the basis of age legally.

• Advertisement

Yes you're right, its not legal. I've posted about this before, discrimination on the grounds of age contravenes the Irish Equal Status Act. I think they know it, which is why they don't enforce the age restriction and don't check. Any advertising that indicates an intention to discriminate on the grounds of age also contravenes the Act.

Oracle wrote: »
    Yes you're right, its not legal. I've posted about this before, discrimination on the grounds of age contravenes the Irish Equal Status Act. I think they know it, which is why they don't enforce the age restriction and don't check. Any advertising that indicates an intention to discriminate on the grounds of age also contravenes the Act.
    I think the age thing is just a gimmick as its not enforced at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

i'm with 48 now with a while and i find them grand but lately i have had to call the uk a fair few times and they charge 50 cent a min for the calls which is pricey, as i will need to be calling a lot into the future i think maybe i will have to change to find a cheaper provider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

As has been posted on this site plenty of times they are not doing anything illegal. Clubs are allowed to discriminate based on age, 48 is a club, you pay for membership. When you are a member they provide you with network coverage. The 10 is not for credit but to join the club.

There has been many examples of this type of set up for years, to avoid paying tax, some of the smaller bus (as in very local) companies decided to charge x amount membership to join the bus club. Your membership lasted the length of your bus journey.

i'm with 48 now with a while and i find them grand but lately i have had to call the uk a fair few times and they charge 50 cent a min for the calls which is pricey, as i will need to be calling a lot into the future i think maybe i will have to change to find a cheaper provider

You could use a Tesco Mobile sim or use a service like 13434.ie while still using 48Months. Using 13434 calls to UK mobiles cost 7c per min. UK landlines cost 0c per min, plus 5c connection fee: http://13434.ie/mobilerates.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Just because clubs and others do it does not make it legal. Tradition does not overide and trump EU law.

It is a violation of an EU citizens fundamental rights to be discriminated against on the basis of age. So please explain the legislation or legal loophole that would allow clubs of any kind to be exempt from abiding by the Charter of fundamental rights of the European Union.

bren2001 wrote: »
    As has been posted on this site plenty of times they are not doing anything illegal. Clubs are allowed to discriminate based on age, 48 is a club, you pay for membership. When you are a member they provide you with network coverage. The 10 is not for credit but to join the club.

There has been many examples of this type of set up for years, to avoid paying tax, some of the smaller bus (as in very local) companies decided to charge x amount membership to join the bus club. Your membership lasted the length of your bus journey.

When providing a service to the consumer you cannot discriminate on any of 9 grounds, one of which is age: http://www.equality.ie/en/Information/Equal-Status/

48 Months doesn't qualify as a club under the Act. Its principle service is providing a mobile phone service, that has nothing to do with age. Therefore it cannot claim age specific exemption. Unlike say a youth club or a "meals on wheels" service for seniors, they are age specific and age related services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

On Tesco atm with the Triple Credit plan, before even ordering a SIM, can anyone take a speedtest of the 3G? Tesco is awful slow tbh.

On Tesco atm with the Triple Credit plan, before even ordering a SIM, can anyone take a speedtest of the 3G? Tesco is awful slow tbh.

Can't take a speed test but been usen it all day and its as fast as Vodafone on the iPhone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Will 48 sims work in o2 phones lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

This post has been deleted.

I usually get between 2-3Mb on speedtest on the Galaxy S4. Upload is about 800Kb-1Mb. I only get 3 bars signal-wise where I live & do the tests. It's deffo not quite as fast as 3 though, who I was on before.

Unfortunately no, any time I've gotten a friend of mine to switch from O2, I've had to get the phone unlocked first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Okay, if the speed is the same as Tesco I'll hold on for a bit. Lets hope the three network will be quicker and also the arrival of LTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Gadge wrote: »
    I usually get between 2-3Mb on speedtest on the Galaxy S4. Upload is about 800Kb-1Mb. I only get 3 bars signal-wise where I live & do the tests. It's deffo not quite as fast as 3 though, who I was on before.

Unfortunately no, any time I've gotten a friend of mine to switch from O2, I've had to get the phone unlocked first.

Can you watch video on 3G on 3?
    Is it fast enough for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Can you watch video on 3G on 3?
    Is it fast enough for that?

Youtube has always been perfect & lag-free for me.

• Advertisement

I usually get 6Mb/s on Three but like with any network it depends on the coverage in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WRECK TANGLE

The three/Telefonica deal will take about 8 months to get past the competition authority so 48 should be safe for the next 6 months or so.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/three-buys-o2-in-850m-deal-235066.html

So it will. Pointless delay.

That mentions nothing about 48 tho

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not really a pointless delay. We need to protect competition for the consumer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Any SIM wil work as long as you get it unlocked.

That mentions nothing about 48 tho

48 is owned by Telefonica Ireland. Only the O2 operation is being sold to Three.

Piliger wrote: »
    48 is owned by Telefonica Ireland. Only the O2 operation is being sold to Three.

So 48 should stay operational so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

48 will more than likely become retired or sold off. Only, I don't see anyone buying it, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

48 will more than likely become retired or sold off. Only, I don't see anyone buying it, to be honest.

If its not part of the '3' deal i dont see any reason why they shouldnt continue as normal

• Advertisement

NATLOR wrote: »
    If its not part of the '3' deal i dont see any reason why they shouldnt continue as normal
    I agree. I see 48 as basically a trial of a 'different' kind of business model being tested by O2. A no frills service.

Piliger wrote: »
    I agree. I see 48 as basically a trial of a 'different' kind of business model being tested by O2. A no frills service.

A no frills service that gives you a lot more than the O2 service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

and a lot less. i.e. customer service, something o2 can be proud of

Is the 48 support not as good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

they only offer online support

beauf wrote: »
    Is the 48 support not as good?
    It's not an issue of good or bad. It's a matter of extent.

O2 gives customers access to their shops and staff, a huge online portal, account history, call history, hundreds of free online web texts, a phone helpline etc etc.

48 gives you an email helpline and a small and limited web site.

I have no problem with that. I have been with 48 for about 15 months and hardly a day's problem. I accept the customer service because I pay a lot less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

From my experience they're customer service is very poor. If you have any sort of technical problem your on your own. They just try fob you off with some script along the lines of "have you tried turning it off and on again."

While I know three can be just as bad sometimes I still think their €20 deal is better value. More reliable network, better online customer service and faster Internet (assuming your in a good coverage area).

Just checking because I found some other other operators poor.

I'm not sure I find value in those frills with O2. TBH O2 is best when you deal with it online. Online is cheaper, the shops refer you to online on many issues, the webtext is brutal unless you use a 3rd party app like cabbage which O2 frequently break by changing their site.

In general though O2 phone and online support is very good. You might not always have web access when you have an issue. Their SMS support chat has saved me a couple of times. So theres a lot of value in that.

I'm really only looking to use 48 for data on a second sim.

TBH I had the same experience on the 3, had a problem, they weren't interested, even if could have understood them. Which I couldn't. even via email. For €20 you've a lot to choose from in terms of plans. But this is at €10.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    While I know three can be just as bad sometimes I still think their €20 deal is better value. More reliable network, better online customer service and faster Internet (assuming your in a good coverage area).

Three has better network!!!

Not a hope in hell. I live less then 2 miles from Dublin city center yet had no network at all in my apartment!

I even had problems connecting to the three network while walking around Grafton Street.

Threes network is atrocious, I couldn't switch off them fast enough!

And this is technically accurate. Three have much smaller coverage footprint then o2/48mnoths according to Comreg.

Three also only have 3G spectrum, they have no 2G spectrum (GSM/Edge) to fall back on if the 3G coverage was bad (3G operates on higher frequencies, so it doesn't travel as far or penetrate buildings). Now they do have a roaming agreement with Vodafone to fall back to their 2G network, but it turns out doing that causes all sorts of problems with smart phones (iPhone) not connecting to the correct network, which leads to no connection at all!

I contacted three CS about this a number of times and they were worse then useless. They tried to fob me off saying it was my phone and their network was perfect.

There are serious issues with the three network and they know it, but there is little they can do about it (it needs to be fixed at the high level management/engineering level *) so they just try placate you while on the phone to customer service, while not actually doing anything about it.

48months on the other hand is fantastic. I have coverage absolutely everywhere. It tends to fall back to edge in my apartment, but at least it does so smoothly and returns to 3G smoothly when available. But more importantly at least I can still receive calls and texts in my apartment, unlike with three.

* Strictly speaking Three buying o2 should fix this issue, as they will now have an extensive 2G network to fall back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

is it true you can use your 3 data usage while abroad without it costing extra?

• Advertisement
Advertisement