Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Passport Abroad, happened to anyone else?

• 10-07-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all
    i've been in germany for the past week and three days ago i lost my passport in my bag which i left on a street tram. I've checked lost n found offices etc, but i'm feeling more and more resigned to contacting the embassy in berlin, which i was supposed to do 3 days ago.

with a lot of hassle and paper shuffling for people at home, they would give me a new one of some sort. i'm guessing it will this be an emergency-short-term-sort-of-job, that'll get me home, but i'm wondering if i can use it to work which is what i originally came to do.

has this ever happened to anyone before? any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Had a friend have a passport stolen in spain at a bus station..on the way to the plane home!oh and wallet gone as well no no identification or money...was somewhat stressful but she got home!

Officially report it as stolen or lost then contact the embassy and go from there.....its a short term one she got I believe ....but her case was helped by the fact she had a copy at home that was faxed to the embassy people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

The Emergency short term job that the embassy gives you will be taken off you as you arrive back in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 neildebrun15

Aru wrote: »
    Had a friend have a passport stolen in spain at a bus station..on the way to the plane home!oh and wallet gone as well no no identification or money...was somewhat stressful but she got home!

Officially report it as stolen or lost then contact the embassy and go from there.....its a short term one she got I believe ....but her case was helped by the fact she had a copy at home that was faxed to the embassy people.

yeah im still clinging to the hope that it'll be returned, as was nothing worth taking in the bag. if i contact the embassy and the lost one is returned to me afterward, the embassy people will cancel it.

Q. What should I do if I lose my passport? A. If you lose your passport, or if it is stolen , you should immediately report the loss to the Passport Office or your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate. You will be asked to confirm this in writing, or if you are applying for a replacement passport, to complete and have witnessed the relevant section of the application form. Further information is available on the Passport Service website.

Q. What should I do if I find a passport which I had reported lost or stolen? A. The Passport Service, in accordance with EU regulations advises international authorities, through Interpol, of all passports reported as having been lost or stolen. Once the passport is reported, the passport is cancelled and may not be re-activated. At this time the passport is not a valid document and under no circumstances must be used.

Source:

Department of Foreign affairs.
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=261

Citizen information.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_irish_passport.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3 neildebrun15

sKeith wrote: »
    Q. What should I do if I lose my passport? A. If you lose your passport, or if it is stolen , you should immediately report the loss to the Passport Office or your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate. You will be asked to confirm this in writing, or if you are applying for a replacement passport, to complete and have witnessed the relevant section of the application form. Further information is available on the Passport Service website.

Q. What should I do if I find a passport which I had reported lost or stolen? A. The Passport Service, in accordance with EU regulations advises international authorities, through Interpol, of all passports reported as having been lost or stolen. Once the passport is reported, the passport is cancelled and may not be re-activated. At this time the passport is not a valid document and under no circumstances must be used.

Source:

Department of Foreign affairs.
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=261

Citizen information.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_irish_passport.html

i rang the berlin embassy just now and they're sending documents to me. still unsure as to whether the solution will allow me to stay here until september.

• Advertisement

I need to bow out before I give bad advise as this is news to me.

Local Laws and Customs

If you intend to stay in Germany for three months or more you must register with the local German authorities (Einwohnermeldeamt). Those coming to Germany for short stays are not required to register with these authorities.

You should carry your valid passport with you at all times. German police have the right to ask for identification at any time, and the only acceptable form of ID for Irish citizens is a valid passport. For this reason it is also advisable to take a number of photocopies of your passport with you, should you lose the original.

source:
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=8772

Advertisement