Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken pox vaccine

Options
  • 10-07-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

It is one of the routine vaccines in North America for kids age 12 to 18 months and I would like to get our baby vaccinated. Has anyone done that in Ireland and is it expensive or difficult to get the vaccine? Mentioned it to the gp and she gave the impression it had never been done before which I find hard to imagine...
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

You can get the vaccine here. According to my GP you need two injections and it is €60 per shot, so €120 in total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I don't know, but if the get the vaccine are they more likely to get shingles, which as far as I know occurs usually in those who don't have chicken pox.

Also I wonder if they vaccinate in some places because that race is more vulnerable to chicken pox or get it more severely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I don't know, but if the get the vaccine are they more likely to get shingles, which as far as I know occurs usually in those who don't have chicken pox.

Also I wonder if they vaccinate in some places because that race is more vulnerable to chicken pox or get it more severely?

In medical or nursing professions I think you have to show immunity to the varicella virus and if you don't you get the two vaccines. As previous poster said, I think they are €60 a piece

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Shingles is a reactivation of chicken pox virus, you have to have had chicken pox to get them

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Quick question for those of you who did vaccinate. I can order the vaccine myself but what age did you get it for your child. We have the MMR and 13m vaccines coming up so was it 14m before you get them vaccinated or closer to the 13m or due to the outbreak currently should we go ahead and see if we can get her done at 11m?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

polydactyl wrote: »
    Quick question for those of you who did vaccinate. I can order the vaccine myself but what age did you get it for your child. We have the MMR and 13m vaccines coming up so was it 14m before you get them vaccinated or closer to the 13m or due to the outbreak currently should we go ahead and see if we can get her done at 11m?

You can get it done with the other normal vaccines but we decided to do it at 14 and 15 months, it's a 2 booster. Although it means more visits we reckoned it was slightly easier that 3 jabs on the one day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Shingles is a reactivation of chicken pox virus, you have to have had chicken pox to get them

Not sure about that. I never had Chicken Pox (I did have the German measles though), and I had Shingles when I was 19.

No shingles is definately a re activation of chicken pox virus so someone either forgot when you had it or you had one of the rarer sub clinical cases which do happen.

Thanks RentDayBlues. They say you should get them a month apart from the other vaccines esp MMR as they are live vaccines. Think I will do what you suggest and go for 14-15m

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

polydactyl wrote: »

What outbreak? Of chicken pox?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is always an outbreak of chickenpox in Ireland, but usually only people with compromised immune systems are offered the vaccines and others have to ask for it.
    It is accepted that every child will probably get it and it is rarely dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I got the first of the chicken pox vaccine shots last week for my 2 year old. Cost €75 inclusive of the GP fee. I decided to get it because I remember being really sick with it as a child. I had all the illnesses that kids are now vaccinated against..measles, rubella etc. my mother remembers measles with horror but chicken pox really stands out for me. I remember having the horrible sores all over me..in my mouth, up my bum, everywhere and feeling really awful:(

I thought it was worth the expense to spare both of us that. She screamed the surgery down and felt very sorry for herself for half an hour but otherwise had no ill effects.

We've to wait a month for the second dose

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just to clarify, Shingles is a reactivation of Chicken Pox, you have to have had chicken pox to get it. People often get confused and think that to get Shingles you can't have had Chicken Pox. The confusion is that you can get Chicken Pox when your older if you have never been had before and this would be called shingles by people. Chicken pox in adults can be dangerous, Shingles is rarely dangerous, just annoying. Many often think that shingles are dangerous, again from this confusion.

Shingles can give others chicken pox but chicken pox cannot give you shingles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just to clarify, Shingles is a reactivation of Chicken Pox, you have to have had chicken pox to get it. People often get confused and think that to get Shingles you can't have had Chicken Pox. The confusion is that you can get Chicken Pox when your older if you have never been had before and this would be called shingles by people. Chicken pox in adults can be dangerous, Shingles is rarely dangerous, just annoying. Many often think that shingles are dangerous, again from this confusion.

Shingles can give others chicken pox but chicken pox cannot give you shingles.

Really? I thought shingles can cause brain encephalitis? I know of a few recent cases of this due to shingles....

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Really? I thought shingles can cause brain encephalitis? I know of a few recent cases of this due to shingles....

I know of eight separate kids with chicken pox at the moment and none know each other and some friends are GPs and say they are inundated with CP at the moment as it's going around.

While it's rarely dangerous it can be esp it can cause encephalitis, have seen one kid in icu for a month with this, severe pneumonia and bacterial infections. So while it's not usually life threatening it can be and with a simple vaccine is preventable so well worth it in my opinion.

Any re activation of a virus can lead to encephalitis including shingles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Shingles and chicken pox can be very dangerous in some cases (e.g. mine) so I have been tested for immunity - which I have thankfully. Going to get my toodler vaccinated - why put them through that!

Advertisement