Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Wire of Electric Shower Switch burnt

Options
  • 10-07-2013 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

My electric shower would not work yesterday. When I switched it on the red light came on but when I went to put on the shower unit it would not work. It turns out the blue wire in the switch had burned and blew a fuse in the switch. However, the trip switch never went off when this happened. Is this significant? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

angeline wrote: »
    My electric shower would not work yesterday. When I switched it on the red light came on but when I went to put on the shower unit it would not work. It turns out the blue wire in the switch had burned and blew a fuse in the switch. However, the trip switch never went off when this happened. Is this significant? Thanks.

A mains voltage electrical cable that is melting and/or burning is always significant.

The trip switch (generally refereed to as an MCB) did not trip because it is not designed to trip unless the circuit it is protecting is suffering from a short circuit or sustained overload condition. A melting cable generally causes neither.

My advice is to get an electrician to have a look at it. I imagine (without looking at it) that it would be best to replace the isolator.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

A friend who is fairly knowledgeable replaced the switch and so the shower is working now. But he thought the trip switch should have gone off. Assume it's all ok now once it's been replaced?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

angeline wrote: »
    A friend who is fairly knowledgeable replaced the switch and so the shower is working now. But he thought the trip switch should have gone off. Assume it's all ok now once it's been replaced?

Ask him exactly what he thinks should cause an MCB to trip. If he feels it should have tripped I assume his position is that the existing MCB is faulty? On this basis is he suggesting that you get the MCB replaced ?

Regarding the replacement switch:
    It is important to ensure that connections are tight and the switch is suitabley rated for the load.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I'd imagine it was just a loose connection which caused the neutral to char/melt whilst arcing.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    I'd imagine it was just a loose connection which caused the neutral to char/melt whilst arcing.

So would I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

2011 wrote: »
    So would I.

Me too , like a previous poster noted " make sure ALL connections are tight"

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Mr.Fred wrote: »

Ay, I was looking at a shower unit a few months ago with the same problem. It was indeed a loose connection. Them terminals are big and no doubt somebody initially used a small flat head to tighten it during install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

did'n he say it blew a fuse in the switch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ask him exactly what he thinks should cause an MCB to trip. If he feels it should have tripped I assume his position is that the existing MCB is faulty? On this basis is he suggesting that you get the MCB replaced ?

A bit of over-thinking there. Its likely the friend of the OP assumed burning connections mean an overload or short must have occurred.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Its likely the friend of the OP assumed burning connections mean an overload or short must have occurred.

Indeed, he may have.

If he were to conclude for whatever reason that an overload condition had caused this then as I said:
    If he feels it should have tripped I assume his position is that the existing MCB is faulty? On this basis is he suggesting that you get the MCB replaced ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Indeed, he may have.

If he were to conclude for whatever reason that an overload condition had caused this then as I said:

Sounds like a layman assumption was made that burnt pull chord terminal should = tripped MCB from overload.

How many burnt pull chords have you seen on showers that were caused by faulty MCB,s? A shower is exceptionally unlikely to overload its circuit once its a proper circuit.

Bruthal wrote: »
    A shower is exceptionally unlikely to overload its circuit once its a proper circuit.

Yup

Advertisement