Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to book a spot to pitch my tent :-(

Options
  • 10-07-2013 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

This weekend I wanted to take the kids away camping. It's a first for me too. I wanted to camp out in Kerry....anywhere really, preferable near a beach.
    I rang around, and none take any bookings. I would have to ring back at 12 noon the day I want to go, and see if someone else has moved on, thus freeing up a spot.

I have visions of my self and the lads going around from camp site to camp site, with a map, melting in the car, hoping we can find a spot somewhere that can take us for the 2 nights. I'm peed off about it cos I spent a lot of money on a tent and stuff, and the lads are gutted too.

Is it all standard procedure, I can't be the only in the same pickle?
    Any suggestions? I don't fancy doing wild camping (especially with having he lads with me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Possible they won't take a tent booking without having a "look" at you first. Campsites are wary in case they get a bunch of young lads who may wreak havoc around the place.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

A couple of things.

Do you really think you're the only person with the idea of going camping this weekend?
    -Start of school holidays
    -Warmest continuous weather in almost 10 years.
    -It's the weekend.

So basically you picked the worst weekend short of the June and Aug bank holiday weekends to go camping.

Most campsites won't take bookings as they are full by now or booked up by regular visitors. There are some that don't take bookings at all and work on a first come first served basis. One such campsite is keel Sandybanks on Achill island.

My advice is to wait for more moderate weather as most campsites this weekend, with this weather will be jammed with fair weather muppets. If waiting is not an option I would try and take the day off tomorrow and get to the campsites early before the crowds arrive and see if you can get a spot.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Okay, I got sorted. Found a lovely place, that has opened up a brand new & prepped field. Sounds lovely, owners sound lovely. I'm happy. All sorted :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Blaboy

Hi mashedbanana
    I would be interested in finding out the name of the campsite you are going to stay in as I have been encountering the same problems

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Blaboy wrote: »
    Hi mashedbanana
    I would be interested in finding out the name of the campsite you are going to stay in as I have been encountering the same problems

Thanks
    Add the ol me too to that request

• Advertisement
Advertisement