Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time To Get Revenue Involved?

Options
  • 10-07-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I left my job two months ago for a new position. In those two months, I've been paid twice and each time, have gotten absolutely crucified with emergency tax. I have requested my P45 from my old employer four times now, and it has still yet to arrive.

Now, the reason why I left my old job is because I was continually bullied by my boss. I know that he doesn't like me and we had a few run-ins before.

My question is: it's been eight weeks. Should I have received my P45 at this stage? And, more importantly, is it time to get in touch with Revenue and explain the situation to them?

This is the first time I've left a job and I'm a little unsure when's the right time to seek help from a higher authority. I just want to be done with my former boss and getting this P45 means that I can finally move on and settle in at my new position without having to worry about him anymore.

Do you think he's just drawing out the process because we parted ways on bad terms?

Any advice/opinions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

8 weeks is too long. A few days after the next pay cycle after you leave is really when it should be sent.

Can the payroll/HR dept in your new place not help with your tax situation? I think there's a P46 form they might be able to fill in for you.
    Do you think he's just drawing out the process because we parted ways on bad terms?

Who knows - it's hard to tell. I'd want to check out that he was definitely paying your PRSI and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Mimmmy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I left my job two months ago for a new position. In those two months, I've been paid twice and each time, have gotten absolutely crucified with emergency tax. I have requested my P45 from my old employer four times now, and it has still yet to arrive.

Now, the reason why I left my old job is because I was continually bullied by my boss. I know that he doesn't like me and we had a few run-ins before.

My question is: it's been eight weeks. Should I have received my P45 at this stage? And, more importantly, is it time to get in touch with Revenue and explain the situation to them?

This is the first time I've left a job and I'm a little unsure when's the right time to seek help from a higher authority. I just want to be done with my former boss and getting this P45 means that I can finally move on and settle in at my new position without having to worry about him anymore.

Any advice/opinions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Very similar thing happened to me. I basically wrote a letter to the Inspector of Taxes from my local revenue office and Cc'ed the HR manager from my old company.

Provided proof that I had sent emails asking for the P45 but had yet to receive it.

Company in question complied two days later. Don't forget that companies have a legal requirement to issue former employees with P45 forms.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Unfortunately in my experience this is all to common.

I have known of P45s being withheld until legal representation was made and even then I have also seen examples of falsified P45s with deliberate incorrect information being given to ex employees. Some employers seem to believe that withholding a P 45 and causing an ex employee problems with revenue and or welfare is somehow an acceptable way of 'getting back' at an employees that dares complain and leaves over mismanagement/bullying or other unacceptable workplace behaviours. This is an area that needs to be tightened up urgently in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ok this can be simplier than you are making it. Get new company's tax number, ring PAYE helpline, tell them you have new job and they will send tax cert to company and this will sort out emergency tax issue.

Advertisement