Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are There Limits On How Many Weapons You Can Take Out On A Skirmish/Game?

• 10-07-2013 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I found no existing thread covering this query - forgive me if I've missed one.

Aside from physical logistics dictating the number of guns you take out, do sites have rules or limits on how many you can take out?

I gather most guys will use an assault rifle-type primary and a handgun secondary, or maybe a sniper primary and an SMG or handgun secondary? Do many/any guys carry more than two weapons?

I realise the notion of carrying four weapons (AR, handgun, SMG, shotgun) is probably nutty, but my son is just starting his airsoft career, and this is one question he's really curious about.

Thanks for any replies,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,748 ✭✭✭DeBurca

If you can carry them you can use them
    There are a few pistol only games from time to time or shotgun only but they are the exception rather then the rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

DeBurca wrote: »
    If you can carry them you can use them
    As DeBurca said, smoke 'em if you've got 'em...or something :D

You can bring as much or as little as you want, though I would personally say to you to bring as little as possible. I have been playing quite a bit now, and collecting for even longer than that and when I started I used to bring far too much kit, and you literally spend more time getting ready (and through the chrono) and packing up than you do getting the enjoyment out of it. Slim it down and you have less to do, less to worry about and can just have more fun

Personally I bring a pistol, an AEG primary, and maybe a backup - that means should any of my gear give me problems the day isn't over, whilst saving me the hassle of lugging around tonnes of gear. Of course if you wish to use support guns or sniper rifles, then bringing them along as well is good fun as you can use them for a suitable game and then switch back. Even then, I would normally use those as my back up, thus saving on bringing loads of gear again :)

For standard games you will only ever use a maximum of two guns; primary and secondary. Assault rifles or SMG's (in airsoft an SMG is virtually identical to an assault rifle; the size of an MP5 w/stock is the same as an M4) reign supreme as a primary, and pistols tend to be the designated secondary, though some people use guns like an MP9, MP9 or MP5K due to their small size and full automatic fire-power. The only time you'd draw your secondary is if you run out of BB's in your primary, if there's a problem with the gun, or if you want to. As such you can reduce your gun requirements by increasing the amount of mags you carry :D

For longer games, such as MilSim games where you can be captured by enemy forces, then having a concealed carry back-up backup can be beneficial...but it's virtually a moot point, as the situation is very rare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wouldn't bother with 4 airsoft guns for gaming at all ,
    For instance you could carry 4 separate guns into a game,

1x M4 type rifle + 3-6 mags

1x sniper rifle bb's and speed loaders

1x SMG again 3-6 mags

1 x pistol + 1-2 extra magazines and speed loaders

That above means a lot of weight for a 12 year old to lug around a skirmish ,
    He could easily leave most of it in the safe zone personally I'd go with light weight over all the above ,

1x Ar and 6+ mags

1x pistol and extra mag

Does your son favour a particular load out ,ie does he want to go the whole hog of replicating a military unit or just intrested in running around shooting for fun,

He could easily switch roles depending on the type of games played ,for the morning he could run an AR set up and after lunch switch to shotgun or sniper depending on his personal preference ,
    I'd highly recommend he tries a day gaming before deciding on anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Thanks guys.

My own thoughts were that an AR and a handgun would be optimal, and I've tried to impress that notion on him, though I don't want to dictate his experience.

I think he's showing signs of having OCD, just like me (though hopefully less extreme :rolleyes:) - he's got his lists together of the gear he wants, and how he wants to look, etc.

He seems to be most interested in a military-style loadout with a proper uniform (probably woodland or multicam) some sort of tactical vest, and playing themed games with objectives, rather than a chuck-it-together and just run around spraying BBs everywhere approach.

TBH, I'm very interest in getting into it myself - as I've read someone say elsewhere, it'd be a great way to spend good time with him. I have my own ideas on the gear I'd like for myself... :rolleyes:

His initial list - without having played a single game - was getting on for nearly €600! A SCAR with an Eotech, PEQ-15 & AFG, 3 or 4 mags, uniform, basic MOLLE plate carrier & pouches... I guess, having OCD myself, I understand the way his thoughts were working, so I let him go through that fantasy, knowing that he'd probably settle for some compromises, once logic and reason were brought in.

So now he's coming around to starting with simpler more basic (cheaper ;)) kit, and playing a few games to get a feel for what he might like or not.

We hit a few of the shops on Tuesday - SG, MIA & Strikearms. He's now keen on SG's get-started deal for €300 - G&G M4 (inc battery & charger and one mag), Bushnell dot sight, uniform, vest... If he does like playing, he can upgrade his kit at birthdays & xmas. If not, €300 out of his confirmation money won't be too big a loss.

Thanks again for your replies folks.

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

Mark#1 wrote: »
    His initial list - without having played a single game - was getting on for nearly €600!

If he does like playing, he can upgrade his kit at birthdays & xmas. If not, €300 out of his confirmation money won't be too big a loss.
    Mark#1 wrote: »
    He seems to be most interested in a military-style loadout with a proper uniform (probably woodland or multicam) some sort of tactical vest, and playing themed games with objectives, rather than a chuck-it-together and just run around spraying BBs everywhere approach.

Just a suggestion and maybe both of you should attend a game or themed event before speading any money on gear?

As Airsoft may not be what he expects and then, you'd only be out by €30 to €50 euros per person with rented AEG's

Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

As the lads are saying, it's a lot of kit. I've gone out with ridiculous loadouts for the fun of it, sometimes, but having more guns than arms is a novelty rather than a plan.

Weight is the biggest factor, even with just a primary/secondary set up. It's something many people overlook. A full metal rifle, with a plate carrier holding eight metal mags and a heavy sidearm seems like a brilliant idea until you put it on a scale and realise you're adding 20lbs to your body. Even subtle things like the balance point of the rifle; if it's particularly front heavy, your arms are going to hate you.

Compromise is often your best friend. In the vast majority of games, unless you're using a very long rifle and you end up in a tight space (or you just want to) you won't even need a secondary.
    Judge it by the day. I generally bring a rifle and pistol, laid out as I like them. Regularly, the rifle will have a grenade launcher (which negates needing a pistol, really), but it's a heavy addition so if its a long slog of a day, or I don't think I'll use it, I'll take it off.
    There's no harm in him having lots of gear to choose from, but bringing it all at once will just leave him tired, sore, and probably hit more often due to encumberment. Lighter and faster is usually more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

I cant believe Thermo hasn't got into this yet , I'v seen him carrying at least 6 weapons into battle on a number of occasions :)

If you have a long rifle like an FN or sniper the pistol / small smg may be a necessity for CQB.

If your main weapon is a little unreliable a back-up is great so you don't miss out on a game ( springer shotgun is great for this, light cheap and relatively maintenance free, should fire first time every time. )

I carry an AEG and Pistol and only really use the pistol for fun or when I put down the AEG to run for flags and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,278 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Tell him he needs to buy whatever equipment he wants.

That'll slim down the list ;)

IMO the more gear you have the more can go wrong. Keep it simple, an m4 and co2 pistol to start with.

Besides, if he doesn't take to the sport that will be an awful lot of gear you will have to shift!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

everlast75 wrote: »
    Tell him he needs to buy whatever equipment he wants.

He actually is paying for everything he gets from his own confo money. If his mam & me let him, he's spend the whole lot of it... :rolleyes:

Advertisement