Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet Potato Fries--Recipe Needed!

Options
  • 10-07-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, so recently enough I discovered I can't eat potatoes, white bread etc I think I'm allergic to starch but anyway they give me migraine. So to my delight Eddie Rockets started sweet potato fries and wholegrain burger buns. But Eddie's is also expensive and I do not want to go in there every day of the week!! I cannot find frozen sweet potato fries anywhere and have tried make my own using cornflour and olive oil to create a crispy coating but I can't come close to the Eddie's ones which are gorgeous!! So if anyone has a good recipe for sweet potato fries it'd be great to hear!! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sweet potatoes have starch in them just like regular potatoes.
    And wholegrain is just as starchy as white bread, in fact it often has more starch.
    If you are allergic to something in potatoes and white bread, then you are most likely allergic to wholegrain and sweet potatoes.

As for a recipe for sweet potato fries. It's no different to normal fries.
    Cut into chips and deep fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Soak the fries in cold water first, you will see it get cloudy, this removes some of the starch. Dry throughly and then cook. Easiest way to get them crispy. Dont have a frier so I just drizzle with Oil and dressing of choice and bung is a really hot oven on a pre heated tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jolou86

i find that without corn flour or something the 'fries' don't crisp up-hence why the ones in Eddie's have a coating as well. Trust me---I've tried! I know in the oven a bit of olive oil can help but you do need a coating to get them crisp. regarding what I am or am not allergic to--- potatoes and white bread, white pasta etc must have a different type of starch, I've been told it's the starch and I know that wholegrain/sweet potato doesn't give me migraine and other stuff does.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

You could try frying them in a wok, half filled with oil, or alternatively cut them into very thin slices so they crisp up in the oven.

I think salt helps as well - it draws out some of the moisture, allowing them to crisp better ?

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

I have this recipe for sweet potato fries -I haven't tried it yet, but I think putting the fries under the grill for 5 minutes at the end could really help to crisp them up

http://atouchofzest.com/sweet-potato-fries/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

It's virtually impossible to get them in any way crispy without a deep-fat frier (which I don't have), and even with one, they go soggy again very quickly.

Anyway, my recipe for SFPs, which always goes down a storm is:

- Scrub and dry (but don't peel) your sweet spuds.

- Cut into chips (you want somewhere between a McDonald's fry and a Chipper-chip in thickness), and toss in a large bowl with a drizzle of sunflower or vegetable oil and equal parts pepper, cumin and cayenne, to taste. Add a lesser amount of salt and garlic granules, but again, to taste. You want enough oil to coat each fry to an overall glisten, but not so much that they're swimming in it. Be gentle while you're tossing them, you don't want them to break.

- Preheat oven to 230C. Lay your fries on parchment paper on baking trays in a single layer. I can't stress this enough - if you overcrowd the tray, they'll just steam instead of crisping up at all. I usually use all three trays of my oven and rotate them while cooking.

- Bake until they're just starting to blacken at the edges, turning once, then dish up and get them to the table as quickly as humanly possible; they really, really don't appreciate being left sitting around for any length of time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Here's a link to a crispy fry - takes some practice http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/guaranteed-crispy-sweet-potato-fries-sriracha-mayo-dip/
    Sweet Potato Fries
    Ingredients

2 large sweet potatoes

2-3 Tablespoons of cornstarch

1/2 cup Mayonnaise

1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper

1 tsp Sriracha Sauce (or to taste … I happen to add a great big squeeze)

Fries – Preheat oven to 425°

- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into fries no thicker than 1/2″. Soak in water for minimum of one hour, but preferably for half a day.

- Drain water from bowl and lift fries out by the handful. Give them a good shake. They should be dry but still have enough moisture on them to allow the cornstarch to stick.

- Put cornstarch in a plastic bag and drop all of your fries in. Blow a little air into the bag, twist the top and shake it vigorously. Lift the fries out onto one or two baking sheets.

- Coat with Olive Oil. The more the crispier and less sticking you’ll have, but the less healthy they’ll be. Use 2 pans if you have to. You want to make sure the fries aren’t crowded on the pan otherwise they’ll steam as opposed to getting crispy.

- Bake for 15 minutes then check. Once bottom of fries are getting crisp, flip them over and cook for another 5-10 minutes.

(for deep frying follow the first 3 steps, but instead of baking them, put them in the deep fryer at it’s highest setting for a few minutes)

Advertisement