Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU votes to ban e-cigs! Tobacco to stay legal!

Options
  • 10-07-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

What. The. Fukk ??
    Heres the depressing news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Must be costing the exchequer too much money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Is anyone really suprised?

When it comes to profit, bribery and corruption I imagine the EU is no different to any 'normal' government.

Perhaps a campaign to reclassify cigarettes as a 'medicine'...no less daft than what is proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Anyone else considering stocking up on a shed load of liquid and flavours to make your own before this comes into effect?

The hardware can't really be banned (nothing illegal about a bong for example) so that's ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have." - Adolf Hitler

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Black market'll be fine for me. Keeping 18 litres of nic base around the gaff for future consumption wouldn't go down too well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Don't really know much about how the EU works voting wise but did our Irish MEP's vote on this and do we know how they voted?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭rui1000

I never got any parcel stopped in customs from China

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

grindle wrote: »
    Black market'll be fine for me. Keeping 18 litres of nic base around the gaff for future consumption wouldn't go down too well.

18L (of 36mg liquid) = 36L of 18mg juice.
    I go through 2-3 ml per day, max.
    36L/3ml = 12000 days...or 30 years!!

Planning in advance much? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Pique wrote: »
    What. The. Fukk ??
    Heres the depressing news.
    Why not go over their heads and give up the damn things ;) Better still why don't they ban cigarettes altogether? Oh wait cigarettes are the most traded product the world over it will never happen :mad:

Don't really know much about how the EU works voting wise but did our Irish MEP's vote on this and do we know how they voted?

We know how this scrotal vomit voted.
    Pique wrote: »
    18L (of 36mg liquid) = 36L of 18mg juice.
    I go through 2-3 ml per day, max.
    36L/3ml = 12000 days...or 30 years!!

Planning in advance much? lol

Yeah, that'd be a lifetime supply for me, but I'd be buying 18 litres of 75mg base to make 25mg juice = 54L @ ~3ml a day = a shade over 49 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

Don't worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

grindle wrote: »
    We know how this scrotal vomit voted.

My reply to nessas wonderful publicity on the journal

The unfortunate thing for her here is that as the co chair for meps against cancer she should have made herself aware that nicotine doesn't cause cancer that it's the inhalation of smoke from burned tobacco and also that the proposed regulation put forward for e cigs is in fact restrictive and this restriction will prevent many many people's transition from tobacco smoker to e cig smoker thus increasing all these people's chances of contracting cancer, the very thing she is trying to prevent.

For the good of that group and the good that they wish to and should be doing, lets hope she never makes chair person!

Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

"The products covered by EU legislation will be extended and clarified; for example electronic cigarettes containing nicotine over a certain threshold will only be allowed if they have been authorised as pharmaceuticals"

so it would depend on the strength of your juice.

This is not a "ban" or anywhere near it. DON'T PANIC.
    e-cigs are not being targeted here in isolation. they are seen a products that are smoking-related, which is what they are.

Read the synopsis of the bill and it should put your mind at rest some.

as said already, the hardware will not be banned. some juices, probably the tastier ones, will be. but not all. and what is left on the market after regulation comes into force will be better labelled, probably ISO9000 standard and we will know better what we are inhaling.

unless this is handled in the very worst possible way, it should have little impact on your vaping

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deeperblue11

tobacco companies have too much wealth which gives too much power.
    they should all be shot.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the threshold they wre throwing around is (iirc) 4mg

that will have very large impacts on vaping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

the threshold they wre throwing around is (iirc) 4mg

that will have very large impacts on vaping

i thought they backed down on the nic content
    and were hittin a ban on flavors??
    feckin hell i really hate asholes that have
    the power,yet no brain power!!
    muppets with brown evlopes. :(

rock whore wrote: »
    "The products covered by EU legislation will be extended and clarified; for example electronic cigarettes containing nicotine over a certain threshold will only be allowed if they have been authorised as pharmaceuticals"

so it would depend on the strength of your juice.

This is not a "ban" or anywhere near it. DON'T PANIC.
    e-cigs are not being targeted here in isolation. they are seen a products that are smoking-related, which is what they are.

Read the synopsis of the bill and it should put your mind at rest some.

as said already, the hardware will not be banned. some juices, probably the tastier ones, will be. but not all. and what is left on the market after regulation comes into force will be better labelled, probably ISO9000 standard and we will know better what we are inhaling.

unless this is handled in the very worst possible way, it should have little impact on your vaping
    Read the bill yourself!

Anything over 4mg in strength or any single tank//device that contains over 2mg of nicotine (that would be 0.5ml of 4mg juice) would have to get a medicinal license. The licenses cost ~€100,000 per juice (per strength of that juice, per flavour of juice).
    3.7. Nicotine containing products (NCP)
    NCP fall outside the scope of Directive 2001/37/EC and Member States have so far
    taken different regulatory approaches to address these products, including regulating
    them as medicinal products, applying certain provisions that are used for tobacco
    products or having no specific legislation.
    The proposal stipulates that NCP that either have a nicotine level exceeding 2 mg, a
    nicotine concentration exceeding 4 mg per ml or whose intended use results in a
    mean maximum peak plasma concentration exceeding 4 ng per ml may be placed on
    the market only if they have been authorised as medicinal products on the basis of
    their quality, safety and efficacy, and with a positive risk/benefit balance24
    Unless they're planning a greatly revised licensing scheme (they'd tell us about that just to shut us the fuck up & BAT's Intellicig wouldn't be wasting so much cash getting licensed up the wazoo) then this is a de facto ban on ejuice as we know it.

Did you think that thousands of people haven't been poring over these documents for months? This isn't random assortments of vapers reading their version of the Daily Mail, this is every vaper and vendor dissecting whatever the EU decides to throw us in the way of info and getting extremely worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

Why no just give up smoking and this shi1t. Are you men or mice ?

Some will power is all that's needed.

so when does this ban come in??

• Advertisement

worded wrote: »

Some of us want to give up, a lot of us don't.
    I loved smoking, but it kills. I love vaping, and it doesn't. Ergo, I vape.

worded wrote: »

feck off will ya!:)we enjoy it
    if you dont fair play.
    but dont tell us what to do,
    we can make our own minds up,
    and we chose to vape.
    no harm to anyone else.
    do you know what you are
    talkin about?i dont think so...

deco nate wrote: »
    so when does this ban come in??

There's a final vote in November I think (?) but I'd say there'll be many legal appeals if it goes against us.

Tentatively being enacted towards the end of 2015/start of 2016.
    deco nate wrote: »
    do you know what you are
    talkin about?i dont think so...
    Never mind him, he only saw this pop up on the front page. Thought he had a "cure" and had to tell us.

moves up plans to make my own..
    will ask tomorrow were everyone buys
    their kit. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

This vote was all about protecting the profits of big tobacco and not about the people of the EU who the MEP's seem to be making out are bumbling idiots who cannot make a decision for themselves. As a fairly new vaper this is worrying stuff, I am all for regulation to making vaping safer, health and safety protocols etc. but this goes way too far.

What is this gonna do to esmoke Ireland and all the other mom and pop sellers who keep us up and vaping, this is an industry that is actually growing and rapidly at that, and now the EU have actually stifled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The fact that the directive actually breaks EU law would hopefully ensure that any potential ban will take its sweet time to come in

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It makes it harder for people to break their addiction, I can't see it being allowed in pharmacies, giving up smoking is about losing your addiction to nicotine, vape makes the addiction worse.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    This vote was all about protecting the profits of big tobacco and not about the people of the EU who members of MEP seem to be making out are bumbling idiots who cannot make a decision for themselves. As a fairly new vaper this is worrying stuff, I am all for regulation to making vaping safer, health and safety protocols etc.

It's much more about keeping the status quo going between tobacco and pharmaceuticals.
    Pharma have the most to win, BAT is the only tobacco company to get a license but the pharmaceuticals will have no bother tossing out ecigs by the lorryload at the drop of a hat, for Great New Prices!!!

Vaping already has stringent Food Safety Standards to reach, they just need to be enforced.
    It makes it harder for people to break their addiction, I can't see it being allowed in pharmacies, giving up smoking is about losing your addiction to nicotine, vape makes the addiction worse.

Oh, you... Go on: How?

And you can't see them in pharmacies? Why do you think their medicinalising them?

yet nicotine is no worse than coffee.
    the harm comes from all the other ****e
    in cigs.vapin does not harm anyone thats
    around a vaper,cigs do.
    i like my nicotine,and i harm no one excpet
    the cig makers profits.
    so leave us alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Good point, I'd love to know. And if they voted for a ban on e-cigs and the continuation of the selling of tobacco,they are a total disgrace to thir families and the people they're meant to represent.

Advertisement