Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do tenants pay rates and water charges?

Options
  • 10-07-2013 10:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Here is another section to this RAS contract, this is news to me :confused:

The tenant agrees with the landlord:

To pay all rates and water charges (if any) and refuse charges (if any) relating to the property including any which are imposed after the date of this agreement.

^ hold on! - i thought it was the LL responsibility to pay the household charge and the upcoming water rates? , since i am not the homeowner and jut renting how is it my responsibility to pay these charges?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Water charges are on you but the LL will find a way to add the property tax to your rent if not already a premium on your rent as is,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Why would you think the landlord is responsible for paying for your water usage? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Here is another section to this RAS contract, this is news to me :confused:

The tenant agrees with the landlord:

To pay all rates and water charges (if any) and refuse charges (if any) relating to the property including any which are imposed after the date of this agreement.

^ hold on! - i thought it was the LL responsibility to pay the household charge and the upcoming water rates? , since i am not the homeowner and jut renting how is it my responsibility to pay these charges?

I would imagine because you are using the water. Seems fair enough to me.

Property tax is a different issue, and completely the landlords responsibility. This is written into the legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

djimi wrote: »
    Why would you think the landlord is responsible for paying for your water usage? :confused:

+1

Maybe they should pay for electric and gas too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Well where i am for 10 years i never had to pay for water........

• Advertisement

Water charges are only just being introduced in Ireland, meters are going to installed in every household

The_Chap wrote: »
    Water charges are only just being introduced in Ireland, meters are going to installed in every household

My point is, since i am not the homeowner he should be paying not me, gas and electricity are different....unless water is now considered a utility like gas and electricity.

I thought water came under the same designation as the household charge.

Nobody has being paying for water up until now. It will be metered and you will of course pay for what you use.

Other charges may not be directly billable to you (at least with a normal tenancy they are not) but you will end up paying them through rent increases one way or another.

My point is, since i am not the homeowner he should be paying not me, gas and electricity are different....unless water is now considered a utility like gas and electricity.

Water will be considered a utility. You will pay for what you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No its soon to be a metered utility its been news for the last few years ,
    All houses are getting ,meters unless you live in an apartment where you will pay differently

• Advertisement

Water will be considered a utility. You will pay for what you use.

Is the correct answer, this had been the case in UK for years, fresh water supply, waste water and surface water all charged as a utility

Is the correct answer, this had been the case in UK for years, fresh water supply, waste water and surface water all charged as a utility

feks sake!....no hour long showers, i love me showers.......:(

Think of the electricity that you will be saving also!

is the LL then responsible for installing these new toilets which use much less water?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

feks sake!....no hour long showers, i love me showers.......:(

You can still have your long showers just expect your wallet to be a little lighter

is the LL then responsible for installing these new toilets which use much less water?

No more than they are responsible for installing energy saving lightbulbs...

As far as I know there will be a certain allowance each month before you start getting charged, presumable to cover the basics such as showers and toilets (with reasonable usage).

No more than they are responsible for installing energy saving lightbulbs...

As far as I know there will be a certain allowance each month before you start getting charged, presumable to cover the basics such as showers and toilets (with reasonable usage).

I thought the low evergy bulbs were apart of the BER rating :confused:

[i feel like i'm in school......]

I thought the low evergy bulbs were apart of the BER rating :confused:

[i feel like i'm in school......]

If they are installed yes, tell me if a bulb blows do you ring the landlord?

If they are installed yes, tell me if a bulb blows do you ring the landlord?

no...but shirley when you move in they should be preinstalled.... :confused:

If the BER is calculated with them installed yes I agree, but the BER is calculated based on what is installed at the time of the inspection

• Advertisement

Im not aware of any legislation saying that a landlord is obliged to provide energy saving lightbulbs at the commencement of a tenancy (I might be wrong about that but its not something I have ever come across).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is this a lease issued by the landlord or the council?
    To pay all rates ... relating to the property including any which are imposed after the date of this agreement.
    Note that there are no rates on residential property and Local Property Tax is not the same as rates. :)

Victor wrote: »
    Is this a lease issued by the landlord or the council?
    Note that there are no rates on residential property and Local Property Tax is not the same as rates. :)

the council....just reading through it, bit above my pay grade......:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

You mean the ones with a brick in the cistern :)

Water meters have been installed in a lot of parts of Ireland for years.

Have a farm house in Sligo with water charges last 10 years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

That's like asking if landlords are required to upgrade their properties to a BER of A.

No, of course not.

Water meters have been installed in a lot of parts of Ireland for years.

Have a farm house in Sligo with water charges last 10 years at least.

Who issues the water charges?

Who issues the water charges?

Veolia same as Luas

On behalf of a county council or is it some sort of private arrangement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

On behalf of a county council or is it some sort of private arrangement?

A group water scheme I presume.

Advertisement