Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do tenants pay rates and water charges?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

no...but shirley when you move in they should be preinstalled.... :confused:

Don't call me Shirley... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Water meters have been installed in a lot of parts of Ireland for years.

Have a farm house in Sligo with water charges last 10 years at least.

Some farms are treated as commercial premises because by their nature farms use a lot of water and are commercial enterprise

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

old on! - i thought it was the LL responsibility to pay the household charge and the upcoming water rates? , since i am not the homeowner and jut renting how is it my responsibility to pay these charges?

Property tax and NPPR are not considered rates for some reason (although NPPR seem to meet every definition of rates I have ever come across Revenue have decided they are not) so are the liability of the landlord.

Re the water charges you are of course liable to pay for it yourself
    Here is a phrase you will hear over the coming years as the water charges are introduced based on usage
    If it's yellow let it mellow
    If it's brown Flush it downbiggrin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Property tax and NPPR are not considered rates for some reason (although NPPR seem to meet every definition of rates I have ever come across Revenue have decided they are not) so are the liability of the landlord.

Re the water charges you are of course liable to pay for it yourself
    Here is a phrase you will hear over the coming years as the water charges are introduced based on usage
    If it's yellow let it mellow
    If it's brown Flush it downbiggrin.png

Which makes you wonder why a council lease would even mention rates, which have not existed for decades?
    *pops on tin-foil hat*

What are those bastards provisionally planning for?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

feks sake!....no hour long showers, i love me showers.......:(

And that sort of comment is exactly why water metering is a good idea!

You can have as many long showers as you want.

But you need to balance up the cost of them relative to other things you love, and decide what you want to use your resources on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

conorhal wrote: »
    Which makes you wonder why a council lease would even mention rates, which have not existed for decades?
    *pops on tin-foil hat*

What are those bastards provisionally planning for?

rates never went away they were just set to zero
    i fear they may come back

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

conorhal wrote: »
    It's simply because the council are using a standard lease agreement which always contain this clause (in case rates are ever re-introduced it makes sense for a landlord to leave such clauses in).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

murphaph wrote: »
    It's simply because the council are using a standard lease agreement which always contain this clause (in case rates are ever re-introduced it makes sense for a landlord to leave such clauses in).

Was told there was nothing unusual about the contract i signed, same one they've been using for years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

djimi wrote: »
    On behalf of a county council or is it some sort of private arrangement?

On behalf of the council- its been that way for most of the last decade.
    And no- its not a group scheme.
    A lot of the local famers and home owners, have sank their own wells and pump their own water to avoid these charges (something I imagine will become a cottage industry in the rest of the country over the next couple of years).

djimi wrote: »
    It will be metered and you will of course pay for what you use.

Multi unit dwellings- for example, a house that has been subdivided into 3 or 4 separate dwellings or a small apartment complex, will not be metered, but will be charged on a per-dwelling basis. Its considered too difficult to meter these units- particularly as several may be off the one water source.

In cases like this- you could argue that the proposed standing charge for the meter, shouldn't apply (good luck with this one though!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Multi unit dwellings- for example, a house that has been subdivided into 3 or 4 separate dwellings or a small apartment complex, will not be metered, but will be charged on a per-dwelling basis. Its considered too difficult to meter these units- particularly as several may be off the one water source.

In cases like this- you could argue that the proposed standing charge for the meter, shouldn't apply (good luck with this one though!)
    My building in Berlin was like this until recently BUT we had one single meter for the whole building and the bill was divided based on floor area of the individual dwellings (like all management charges).

We have since installed (at our own expense of €600 per dwelling) individual meters in each unit. It is really quite amazing how much water you use in such a short time frame. Our meter went in about 3 months ago and we've used 15,000L since then...that's 15 tonnes of water in 3 months! It certainly makes you more water aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

On behalf of the council- its been that way for most of the last decade.
    And no- its not a group scheme.

Weren't the charges for farms using water brought in at the same time schools had to start paying?

A lot of the local famers and home owners, have sank their own wells and pump their own water to avoid these charges (something I imagine will become a cottage industry in the rest of the country over the next couple of years).

I can see this being clamped down on soon. People taking water from aquifers or underground rivers are causing big issues in other countries and we won't be too far behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Water meters have been installed in a lot of parts of Ireland for years.

Have a farm house in Sligo with water charges last 10 years at least.

Businesses pay water charges, have done for years.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Weren't the charges for farms using water brought in at the same time schools had to start paying?

Yes- however Veolia metered every single property- irrespective of whether was farm or commercial use- on the basis, better be safe than sorry- it was then up to residents to get their property signed off on for a waiver. In many cases, for purely arbitrary reasons- inspectors were dispatched by the council to check up on people's claims, and waivers refused for no good given reason.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    I can see this being clamped down on soon. People taking water from aquifers or underground rivers are causing big issues in other countries and we won't be too far behind.

Good luck with this. People have had their own wells forever- trying to stop them will be another turf-cutting issue that won't have any winners.

testicle wrote: »
    Businesses pay water charges, have done for years.

In Sligo in particular- the issue has been meters being installed everywhere- without any cognisance of whether it was a commercial enterpries, a farm, a house on a farm without any non-residential water usage, or indeed in some cases that made the media- forests- without any dwellings, animals or non-rainfall water usage whatsoever. Veolia went along the lines of meter everything- and if its not applicable, let them complain.

Advertisement