Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a GSXR600 too much after 15 years without a bike?

• 10-07-2013 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

So, that constant "i want a bike again" feeling has been back for the last few months and I now have a job that I could choose the bike to get to when it suited me. Background is that I started at 17 with an AR80 and in the next 12 - 15 year's I had a couple of CBR 400's, a Z200, an XLR500 and an XJ750..... All bar the AR80 and Z200 were occasional sunny Sunday types....

Saw a '00 GSX R 600 and just started thinking.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

ye know yourself it'll only go as fast as ye twist the loud handle - just bear in mind its (by the sounds of it), the biggest bike you've ridden, and you've been off then for (by the sounds of it), the longest gap in your biking career..

Take it handy - and perhaps consider a 'back to biking' type bike refresher course/training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Apart from the obvious power, the brakes are 100 times better these days and could easily put you on your arce if youre a bit heavy handed....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

As the lads said only you know what type of rider you are. If you are asking the question maybe you are doubting your ability this time around. If it was me I would prolly go with a bike without an "R" in the title. Save a few quid on the insurance etc and sure get back into bikes slowly, try a V-strom 650 or a Honda Hornet 600/Yamaha FZ6.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dbmauser

you have to remember that the biggest power bike you had has the equivalent bhp of the gixxers indicator and having not ridden a bike in such long time your skills have softened as have your reactions. most bike casualties are born again bikers and thats for the above reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Apart from the obvious power, the brakes are 100 times better these days and could easily put you on your arce if youre a bit heavy handed....;)
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    As the lads said only you know what type of rider you are. If you are asking the question maybe you are doubting your ability this time around. If it was me I would prolly go with a bike without an "R" in the title. Save a few quid on the insurance etc and sure get back into bikes slowly, try a V-strom 650 or a Honda Hornet 600/Yamaha FZ6.
    dbmauser wrote: »
    you have to remember that the biggest power bike you had has the equivalent bhp of the gixxers indicator and having not ridden a bike in such long time your skills have softened as have your reactions. most bike casualties are born again bikers and thats for the above reason

It's the head versus the heart - I look at the likes of the GSXR and drool.... A lot of the 'safer' options don't really do anything for me. That said, I always have been and will continue to be a bit of an aul wan on the road so probably wouldn't remotely use what the gixxer has to offer.

Also read dbmauser's fact yesterday that 40 something back to bikers account for most casualties and that copped me on a bit.

Thanks for the replies...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Beat the blues

Got back into biking myself last year after 28 years Got a bandit 650 with ABS etc Did the IBT course money well spent .Instructor told me to drive like everyone wants to kill you Best advice . Go for it

My back to biking at 42 (11 yr break..mortgage :rolleyes:..)..was a zxr 750..followed by a GSXR 600......R1..etc etc....it was like starting over again....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

dbmauser wrote: »

Considering that noobs can now get on any bike at age 24, this argument is redundant.

A born-again who never had a full A licence will have to do IBT anyway.
    Even if they don't have to, it would be wise to get some training.

Scrap the cap!

Training is there if you feel you need it....Doesnt take too long to get back into the swing once you have bike craft...The gixxer is a lovely bike, but when you ride these sports bikes you feel you have to ride them quick..dont go too quick too soon......just my opinion..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Just be careful. One thing for is they have far better brakes and suspension than the likes of a fazer or bandit.

When I went from a hornet 600 to gsxr6 I noticed it held the road alot better. Also even from a 600 to a 600 it had a big chunk more power. But there quite forgiving down low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Get the bike, treat it with respect, you already seem to know it's capabilities (and possible lack of your own), start off slow and your ability will grow - just try to remember this and you'll be fine.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd get the 1000 if I were you OP ;) 600 is very rev-happy so the temptation is to keep it spinning at all times and probably end up going faster than you intended (or arriving quicker than expected at a corner that the bike could make, but bottling it and braking and crashing/nearly crashing - BTDT)

The likes of a 1000 is nice to ride at low rpm and fairly docile at low rev and low throttle opening so you can get used to the bike that way, and you won't outgrow the bike in six months :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

ninja900 wrote: »
    I'd get the 1000 if I were you OP ;) 600 is very rev-happy so the temptation is to keep it spinning at all times and probably end up going faster than you intended (or arriving quicker than expected at a corner that the bike could make, but bottling it and braking and crashing/nearly crashing - BTDT)

The likes of a 1000 is nice to ride at low rpm and fairly docile at low rev and low throttle opening so you can get used to the bike that way, and you won't outgrow the bike in six months :pac:

i hope your joking

Its the new licence system that is the joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Back after 25 yrs ....47yrs now....r1200 gs. Assume you are invisible ....enjoy.

Back after 25 yrs ....47yrs now....r1200 gs. Assume you are invisible ....enjoy.

Even bikers are invisible to BMW riders.......they never wave back!! :P

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Even bikers are invisible to BMW riders.......they never wave back!! :P

Afraid to get their hands cold.............:D

Too busy figuring out why a bike needs more buttons then Cadburys!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I like my buttons. Of the chocolate and non chocolate variety.

Advertisement