Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

everest monument in market square

Options
  • 10-07-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭

Just noticed this monument today..

its nice enough i suppose,but i think its a bit out of place & also i was just wondering who paid for it & if the local council paid for it then what it cost??

& also anyones general opinions on it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Haven't seen it. Why's it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Because local buisnessman Jason Black (owner of voodoo) recently became the first Donegal man to climb Mt Everest .. trying to find a link but all i can find is from the website thats banned on here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Couldn't find it on one site I know is banned! Maybe there's more than one :D

It's great he got to the top of Everest, but it certainly isn't something I'd like to see public money spent on commemorating.

Edit: I see mention of the sculpture on June 30th but nothing about cost etc

http://www.donegalnow.com/sp/article_manager/detail/300_climb_mt_errigal_with_jason_black

From this site it suggests that the local council did indeed pay for it which tbh i think is wrong in this economic climate , especailly as the ascent ( as brave as it was) was done for personal gain & not for any charity for example... i wonder is their any way we can officialy find out how much this monument cost?

Also according to this article there was another plaque unveiled at the foot of Mt Errigal commerating the climb

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lassie73

Just in reply to the monument placed in celebration of Jason Black's climb to Mount Everest...I am astounded that tax payers had to contribute to this ....I wouldn't mind if he did it for Charity, then I would be happy to glorify his achievement, such a waste of money. Harsh...but that is my tuppence worth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Why is the donegal daily site banned on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Neeson wrote: »
    Why is the donegal daily site banned on here?
    We have standards here and they just dont measure up.

Thats all Im saying on it in public as we are off topic here.

muffler wrote: »
    We have standards here and they just dont measure up.

Thats all Im saying on it in public as we are off topic here.

Can I PM you about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Can I PM you about it?
    Yeah, sure. Im off out for a while so it may be later this evening before I reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

he climbed it what...a few months ago, and already there are 2 publicly funded plaques/momuments up about it already?

Just when you think DCC couldnt be more of a joke they go and prove me wrong. well played.

Also OT, one of the positives of living abroad means I can no longer be subjected to the drivel from that-which-shall-not-be-named....bliss!

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Also OT, one of the positives of living abroad means I can no longer be objected to the drivel from that-which-shall-not-be-named....bliss!

The website?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The website?

its behind a paywall if you don't have an Irish IP address.

And that is the final say in the matter, no more questions about it, no more dragging the thread off topic. Neeson this isn't just aimed at you but everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

retalivity wrote: »
    he climbed it what...a few months ago, and already there are 2 publicly funded plaques/momuments up about it already?

Just when you think DCC couldnt be more of a joke they go and prove me wrong. well played.

I think it was erected by the soon to be abolished Letterkenny Town Council rather than the County Council. They may well be spending money in the town while they still can.

Surely it must have been the County Council that commisioned the plaque at the bottom of Errigal tho??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

If its only a plaque I don't see what the issue is. Now, if they were putting up a full size statue of him that'd be a different story. Haven't see it yet, but must try get a look if I'm down that way later on.

Maldesu wrote: »
    If its only a plaque I don't see what the issue is. Now, if they were putting up a full size statue of him that'd be a different story. Haven't see it yet, but must try get a look if I'm down that way later on.

A statue would have been a great idea. I'd love it. If there is a free roundabout they should put him on it.

Maldesu wrote: »

well its neither a statue nor a plaque in the market square.. its a monument shaped like the side of a mountain with a small scale climber climbing up the side & a quote from the man himself on the front.. that is the best way i can describe it... and its a plaque at the bottom of errigal as far as i know ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

What size is it and whereabouts in the square is it?

Oh and is it 'in the best possible taste'?:)

Madam wrote: »
    What size is it and whereabouts in the square is it?

Oh and is it 'in the best possible taste'?:)

Beside one of the chairs I think.

1045034_10201476412737726_615960253_n.jpg

just out of shot is the wee mountain climber on the side climbing the peak all alone :)

• Advertisement

1044614_262056610599723_867616229_n.jpg

better pic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Nice - kind of unobtrusive.

I'll be sure to have a wee gander down to see it the next time I'm over:)

"Honouring" is written in the American Style.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

piss up, brewery, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

It's not awful but it'll get snapped in two in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    1044614_262056610599723_867616229_n.jpg

better pic

Looking well oranbhoy!

danniemcq wrote: »
    Looking well oranbhoy!

well all that fresh air in nepal did wonders for my complexion :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lassie73

I climbed errigal last week,must let the council know:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

"Honouring" is written in the American Style.

Spelt wrong in other words!

Free publicity for a local businessman and work for a local sculptor - all paid for by DCC.

While it's a great achievement, I wonder if they would have bothered if he wasn't a popular businessman in the town and I certainly object to public money being spent in this way when the aforementioned businessman could probably well afford to at least contribute to its cost.

• Advertisement

this is the thing, it is a big achievment , but its one which costs a lot of money to achieve

ie the average man in the street wouldnt be able to do it unless he found a lot of funding from somewhere...

also as said before i think that this monument wouldve been more appropiate had he took some sort of sponsorship to raise cash for charity whilst doing it , but again thats a private choice..

All in all personally it just doesnt sit right with me, it wouldnt be half as bad if there wasnt so much stuff badly needing done by the council.. and as i said id love to be able to find out how much these two commerative items cost us!

Advertisement