Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

everest monument in market square

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    this is the thing, it is a big achievment , but its one which costs a lot of money to achieve

He spent his own money. He didn't ask others to pay his expenses and then give what is leftover to charity as often happens.

Anybody who has ever done anything for charity, say a 5k run, knows that it takes a lot more effort to raise the money than do the event. Also clinbing is a dangerous activity. No sponsor would want to be associated with a death or serious injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

echo beach wrote: »
    He spent his own money. He didn't ask others to pay his expenses and then give what is leftover to charity as often happens.

Anybody who has ever done anything for charity, say a 5k run, knows that it takes a lot more effort to raise the money than do the event. Also clinbing is a dangerous activity. No sponsor would want to be associated with a death or serious injury.

couldnt he have paid it as he did anyway, sponsor himself with voodoo as he did anyway, & ask the public to sponsor him for a charity if he made it .. i know i would have certainly done so for a good cause

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

echo beach wrote: »

Indeed. He spent his money and had an adventure. A fine acievement for him but I find the monument, quote and all, very cringeworthy.

Climbing Everest isnt the gentleman's adventure it used to be, but a well-oiled commercial enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    Just noticed this monument today..

its nice enough i suppose,but i think its a bit out of place & also i was just wondering who paid for it & if the local council paid for it then what it cost??

& also anyones general opinions on it??

Haven’t seen the monument and I have never met the climber but I think it’s a great idea. People have been honoured in various ways down through history, sometimes for great achievements and often for more dubious activities but very few object to such tributes, even when they are publicly funded.

We are a nation of begrudgers but life is too short for begrudgery. No doubt Jason Black is not any more perfect than most and his reasons for carrying out the great endeavour may be far from charitable but I say, fair play to the man and to those who decided to add an interesting feature to the Market Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Indeed. He spent his money and had an adventure. A fine acievement for him but I find the monument, quote and all, very cringeworthy.

Climbing Everest isnt the gentleman's adventure it used to be, but a well-oiled commercial enterprise.

Think that's very harsh. Fact is, one out of every twenty die doing it. It's not like he's doing a sponsored walk, it's a massive achievement with very real risks involved. Whether the plaque is vain is fair enough, but to question what he did is pretty petty.

I'm sure there's plenty of other ventures you could try for commercial enterprise. And it's not as if the man was struggling in that regard by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

It's handy having a brother in law thats the mayor i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Klim wrote: »
    Think that's very harsh. Fact is, one out of every twenty die doing it. It's not like he's doing a sponsored walk, it's a massive achievement with very real risks involved. Whether the plaque is vain is fair enough, but to question what he did is pretty petty.

I'm sure there's plenty of other ventures you could try for commercial enterprise. And it's not as if the man was struggling in that regard by the looks of things.

I'm not questioning what he did at all. I'm questioning why there's a bandwagon to laud it with public money.

Or to put it another way, it's not him; it's the council I'm having a goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It's all about who you are and who you know.

Imagine if Jim McGlynn climbed Mt. Everest. And when he did it his cousin wasn't Mayor. Would he get any recognition? I doubt it. I definitely doubt he'd be getting any sort of statue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Neeson wrote: »
    It's all about who you are and who you know.

Imagine if Jim McGlynn climbed Mt. Everest. And when he did it his cousin wasn't Mayor. Would he get any recognition? I doubt it. I definitely doubt he'd be getting any sort of statue.

He'd probably get in the paper at least. But Jim McGlynn doesn't have a business in town that employs people, brings in large acts to the town and helps attract visitors who spend money locally. Giving him a monument will keep him happy and happy businessmen will keep their businesses in town. Maybe they could have done something else or spent the money elsewhere, but its likely that none of us would ever see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I don't think they'd need to give him a piece to keep him happy though. He got his homecoming. It was limeballs who played his part in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Neeson wrote: »
    I don't think they'd need to give him a piece to keep him happy though. He got his homecoming. It was limeballs who played his part in this.

You don't think that, but if you were walking around the town and had your name placed in the market square for climbing Everest you'd probably enjoy the feeling. Simple enough thing has long term effect, though I doubt that was their intention.

Advertisement