Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Technician Career advice

Options
  • 10-07-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Ive was working in architecure as a technician for 4-5 years..To cut a long story short I was made redundant last year due to cutbacks and have struggled to find work...

I dont want to stay at home sitting on my rear end for much longer and am looking to move into the IT area... Could anyone recommend what kind of courses i should be looking at with the aim of becoming a technician??doing remote assistance and that kinda stuff?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated from people who have experience of the IT industry..:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What qualifications do you have already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I've done just that. I was an arch tech for 6 years - and then the country went to ****....

I studied for a CCNA and started job hunting. The CCNA is great basepoint IMO - even though I don't use the skills learned that often, the concepts are very beneficial to understand. However you may find Microsoft a better route. I hadn't a clue of MS stuff at the start but I learned fast.

Even with certs you need experience to get a job, need a job to get experience :( This was my major hurdle. Eventually I ended up doing a Jobbridge intern-ship to get experience and was kept on Full Time in a place I am very happy with. A long road, but worth it to be doing something I enjoy.

If you do think of doing a Jobbridge, be very picky about who you go for. The whole point of it is for you to learn, not for them to get a dogsbody.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    What qualifications do you have already?

With regard to IT,im starting from scratch..its a complete career change unfortunatly.:(

I've done just that. I was an arch tech for 6 years - and then the country went to ****....

I studied for a CCNA and started job hunting. The CCNA is great basepoint IMO - even though I don't use the skills learned that often, the concepts are very beneficial to understand. However you may find Microsoft a better route. I hadn't a clue of MS stuff at the start but I learned fast.

Even with certs you need experience to get a job, need a job to get experience :( This was my major hurdle. Eventually I ended up doing a Jobbridge intern-ship to get experience and was kept on Full Time in a place I am very happy with. A long road, but worth it to be doing something I enjoy.

If you do think of doing a Jobbridge, be very picky about who you go for. The whole point of it is for you to learn, not for them to get a dogsbody.

Nate

Hi Nate

Sorry to hear about your own situation mate,its unfortunate but a career change seems the only option..Job applications for architecture work,well we are just banging our heads off a wall unless you want to go to Australia...

Did you do a particular course in college or was it a part time one offered by some of those private companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Don't bother with a course, waste of money IMO, buy a book, go on youtube etc. You'll learn better on your own.

For the CCNA you should Google :- GNS3 (Router Emulator), freeccnaworkbook, CBT Nuggets. Also buy the CCNA book from Sybex. I think the CCNA is being revamped soon so find out about that.

Also, a good forum for like minded people studying for certs is http://www.techexams.net/forums/cisco/

Nate

• Advertisement

Don't bother with a course, waste of money IMO, buy a book, go on youtube etc. You'll learn better on your own.

For the CCNA you should Google :- GNS3 (Router Emulator), freeccnaworkbook, CBT Nuggets. Also buy the CCNA book from Sybex. I think the CCNA is being revamped soon so find out about that.

Also, a good forum for like minded people studying for certs is http://www.techexams.net/forums/cisco/

Nate

Thanks for that bud...am also going through Professor Messers videos which seem an excellent source for info!

celticsfan wrote: »
    With regard to IT,im starting from scratch..its a complete career change unfortunatly.:(

That's not what I asked you. I asked what qualifications (irrespective of area, though I assume they are in architecture) you have. :)

The reason I ask is that if you already have a Bachelors degree, you can do a post-graduate conversion. If not, you would have to look at alternatives.

To be honest, you are probably best to get a bachelors degree (or do the conversion), followed by certs in your area of interest (Cisco - CCNA, Operating Systems/infrastructure - Microsoft/Red Hat, Databases - Oracle/Microsoft, IT Management - ITIL, and so on).

While I agree with you in terms of my own personal learning, I don't think that is true for everybody. Some people prefer class-based tuition, some prefer to learn on their own.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    That's not what I asked you. I asked what qualifications (irrespective of area, though I assume they are in architecture) you have. :)

The reason I ask is that if you already have a Bachelors degree, you can do a post-graduate conversion. If not, you would have to look at alternatives.

To be honest, you are probably best to get a bachelors degree (or do the conversion), followed by certs in your area of interest (Cisco - CCNA, Operating Systems/infrastructure - Microsoft/Red Hat, Databases - Oracle/Microsoft, IT Management - ITIL, and so on).

While I agree with you in terms of my own personal learning, I don't think that is true for everybody. Some people prefer class-based tuition, some prefer to learn on their own.

The qualification I have is just a level 7 bachelors degree in architectural technology for whats its worth.. cant say I have heard of conversion courses before...

celticsfan wrote: »
    The qualification I have is just a level 7 bachelors degree in architectural technology for whats its worth.. cant say I have heard of conversion courses before...

Well then, here's the course for you: http://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn509pt.html

This is just one example, but I am sure there are many more in both the Universities and other IoTs.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I used to lecture on that course, hence why I am familiar with it)

Advertisement