Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assetto corsa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I got AC through torrents, to try it out and see if it was any good. Spare me the morality speech, I've wasted fortunes buying dreadful games and now do all testing on torrents before buying if its good.

Im going to buy it today when I come home from work, the problem I have is that I have moved house temporarily and the internet is not even 1Mb here, so 5GB would take an age to download. Is there any way that I can buy the game, and then somehow link it to my Steam account and use the torrented data to save me downloading it all again?

I was away on a training course in Dublin the last couple of days, but I got back last night and as soon as my other half went to bed, I jumped straight on and raced the Ferrari F40 around Monza. OOOOHHHHHH what a joy this sim is, utterly brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just incase you're missing you AC update fix there are 3 new unofficial tracks released today.

http://www.racedepartment.com/assetto-corsa-three-new-circuits-released/
    Is there any way that I can buy the game, and then somehow link it to my Steam account and use the torrented data to save me downloading it all again?
    I don't think you'd be able to use the pirated data, it's been cracked and steam could potentially bar you from the service if they saw cracked files in their system.

If you know someone with a good connection you can log into steam on their computer, back up the game data to a portable hard drive and unpack it on your own PC.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2815992

Multiplayer update is out. It sounds like it's a bit ropey at the moment, talks of very high ping times and it being almost impossible to join a server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ScumLord wrote: »
    Multiplayer update is out. It sounds like it's a bit ropey at the moment, talks of very high ping times and it being almost impossible to join a server.

Wow wow wow! Multiplayer added? Already? I guess we better off waiting a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm probably one of the very few not bothered by the multiplayer news. Public servers are generally full of wreckers and the organised races require participation at specific times. I had sub for iRacing but didn't bother renewing it at even $1 for the year! Anyway for those who like it, enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Multiplayer in a racing sim simply does not work on public servers and never will.
    iracing has it sorted to an extent for pick up races as there is hell to pay for wreckers and poor racecraft.
    Other sims dont have this luxury so instead rely on league or club races, racedepartment.com run great leagues and clubs that cater for both competitive and fun racers who want a clean environment.

Well, public games will always go arse ways. Nothing stops from boards.ie community have their own little league?

I never played iracing and I would really love to give it a shot, but it looks more of a full time job then something to have fun in.
    One day I will give it a shot, not soon though.

I never played iracing and I would really love to give it a shot, but it looks more of a full time job then something to have fun in.
    I'm put off for the same reason.

I've signed up for a membership at racedepartment.com, they were doing an offer and I got a years membership for a tenner.

I've only ever used racedepartment for richard burns but I'm going to give their AC servers a go this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

Maybe we could get a race going later if we can get enough peeps on.

Maybe we could get a race going later if we can get enough peeps on.

• Advertisement

We can do, is it just a case of selecting the same server?

Im up for that. Im in the middle of moving house, so my internet is Eircom super rural lucky if I have 1mb without it disconnecting every now and again.

In the middle of a few races I have noticed that suddenly all of the competitors vanish and are sitting in the pit lane.

So I am up for trying, but I cant guarantee Im not kicked out after 5 minutes.

Oh and yes, I did delete the torrented files and waited over 14 hours for it to download officially through Steam!

I have not tried multiplayer yet, but how is it so far? Hows netcode and general driving?

I cant tell u because my internet is all ver the place. Ive even taken to trying to use my 3g connection on my phone, to try and improve it....I think with normal internet it should be ok though.

I have not tried multiplayer yet, but how is it so far? Hows netcode and general driving?

The races I've been in so far have been good. Some cars jump around a bit but it's and ALPHA build so plenty to improve upon. I have met people just parking across the track trying to take people out but that's Public servers for you. League racing is where I see AC shine.

I did managed to get a game of Free driving in fiat 500 and it was a lot of fun. You do see cars jumping and some very jumpy connection, but for an alpha I find it pretty good.

On the other note, is it me or performance droped a good bit? I really need to bump down graphics now in 3 monitor setup to keep it 60 fps.

i cant say if I noticed a loss in FPS. I get constant 120fps with 3d visionon at 1280x720 with a gtx770.

So I played more AC last night and one thing that I started to notice a lot more in it. I dont really get the sense of speed in it. It feels same if you go 90km/h or you got 190km/h. I cannot judge my current speed at all unless I am looking at the speedo on each corner.

Is it just me, or AC really droped a ball on that one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Darwin

Squidwert wrote: »
    i cant say if I noticed a loss in FPS. I get constant 120fps with 3d visionon at 1280x720 with a gtx770.

@ShadowHearth, I agree about the performance hit. I have pretty much the same setup as Squidwert, except I run 3D vision at 1900x1200 on my 770. I have noticed quite a drop in performance since one of the 0.8 releases. I've copied the settings below from a forum post and see if it improves things:

Fullscreen: On (1920x1080) / 60Hz / simple screen / VSync: Off / Framerate limit: Off / AF: 16x / AA: 8x / FAAA: 6x / Shadow: Medium / Wolrd detail: High / HDR: On / Blur: Off / Smoke Generation: Very low / Show smoke in mirrors: Off / Mirrors resolution: High / High quality mirrors reflection: On / Resolution CubeMaps: Medium / Faces: 3

There has been a drop in performance for whatever reason. I really notice it because of the resolution I play at and my GPU's are old, I'm using GTX580 SLI!!! I will be upgrading soon enough, but I know that pCARS is going to be even harder to un, so Im delaying as long as I can to buy whatever is out nearer release time and then SLI it. I'm thinking 880 SLI if its decent.

Squidwet have you had a play around with your field of view yet? That can make a big difference to the perceived sense of speed. Its a compromise on how fish eyed you want it to look. Because Im using triple scrrens, Im right up almost at a 1:1 ratio, so the sense of speed is even lower, but the immersion factor I gain by having everything located in the right place more than makes up for it. In fact I went to single screen today just to have a look and I finally had some understanding as to why people kept turning into me while racing, because they simply dont see you ona single screen unless youre rright along side, or even in front of them, with the triple screens you are aware of everything going on. I cannot recommend triple screens enough. I have a track IR, but its not great for driving games because you miss all the little clues that you car is on the limit as you are detached from the seat....kind of.

• Advertisement

There has been a drop in performance for whatever reason. I really notice it because of the resolution I play at and my GPU's are old, I'm using GTX580 SLI!!! I will be upgrading soon enough, but I know that pCARS is going to be even harder to un, so Im delaying as long as I can to buy whatever is out nearer release time and then SLI it. I'm thinking 880 SLI if its decent.

Squidwet have you had a play around with your field of view yet? That can make a big difference to the perceived sense of speed. Its a compromise on how fish eyed you want it to look. Because Im using triple scrrens, Im right up almost at a 1:1 ratio, so the sense of speed is even lower, but the immersion factor I gain by having everything located in the right place more than makes up for it. In fact I went to single screen today just to have a look and I finally had some understanding as to why people kept turning into me while racing, because they simply dont see you ona single screen unless youre rright along side, or even in front of them, with the triple screens you are aware of everything going on. I cannot recommend triple screens enough. I have a track IR, but its not great for driving games because you miss all the little clues that you car is on the limit as you are detached from the seat....kind of.

I play on a projector on a 80" curved screen with a 1to1 FOV the sense of speed seems fine to me must be the way your setup is shadow. I was going to get triples tireeterror but went for the oculus rift dk2.

I play on a projector on a 80" curved screen with a 1to1 FOV the sense of speed seems fine to me must be the way your setup is shadow. I was going to get triples tireeterror but went for the oculus rift dk2.

You have the development kit right now?

My mate works for PC Gamer magazine, in fact he was on the front cover of it a few months ago sporting the OR. He liked it, but thought it was perhaps not that great. I imagine in my mind that it is similar to trackIR in the way that you become detached from the car, and would also miss all the little clues.

You have the development kit right now?

My mate works for PC Gamer magazine, in fact he was on the front cover of it a few months ago sporting the OR. He liked it, but thought it was perhaps not that great. I imagine in my mind that it is similar to trackIR in the way that you become detached from the car, and would also miss all the little clues.

You might think about selling two of your screens when you try one. I dont have the first dev kit but a friend has one, it's nothing like trackIR it's way better than it. A vid to show you what its like on a Dev kit 1 the dev kit 2 will be better in every way.

Im a bbit confused about this actually. I was about to say it looks pretty much like trackIR, with the only difference being the screen is on your face and that I much preferred the look of having 3 screens as Im much closer to the action and everything is in the right place. When watching this video at first, the monitor is showing what he is seeing and its from quite far back, it looks rubbish to me, distant and not up close, like in real life, as if the field of view is way way too much. However suddenly he sticks the camera up to the OR screen and it looks like the FOV is much smaller and as if he is sitting inside a real car, which is the way it feels driving with my 3 screens, except he has the advantage of being able to turn his head around past the pillars on the door. If I was to turn arounds that much in my racing rig, I would be looking past where the monitor is and into my house. Im still not convinced of the freedom of the head movement, it did look like it has the downfalls of the track IR system where your head is kind of floating and as a result he was swaying off track. I know he was useless at driving it, but I dunno. I hope it is awesome, Im a big gadget fan and I will buy it in a heartbeat if its an improvement over what I have, but if it has the flaws of TrackIR I will pass on it.

Im a bbit confused about this actually. I was about to say it looks pretty much like trackIR, with the only difference being the screen is on your face and that I much preferred the look of having 3 screens as Im much closer to the action and everything is in the right place. When watching this video at first, the monitor is showing what he is seeing and its from quite far back, it looks rubbish to me, distant and not up close, like in real life, as if the field of view is way way too much. However suddenly he sticks the camera up to the OR screen and it looks like the FOV is much smaller and as if he is sitting inside a real car, which is the way it feels driving with my 3 screens, except he has the advantage of being able to turn his head around past the pillars on the door. If I was to turn arounds that much in my racing rig, I would be looking past where the monitor is and into my house. Im still not convinced of the freedom of the head movement, it did look like it has the downfalls of the track IR system where your head is kind of floating and as a result he was swaying off track. I know he was useless at driving it, but I dunno. I hope it is awesome, Im a big gadget fan and I will buy it in a heartbeat if its an improvement over what I have, but if it has the flaws of TrackIR I will pass on it.

That is just the first Dev kit the head movement problem has been fixed for the Dev kit 2. He is showing what one eye will see with the other eye getting a slightly different image to get a 3D image putting you in the car. Also the trackIR5 which i have is very slow to react to your movements the oculus is instant. I'll find out in about a month and a half or if they decide to post one sooner.

I amusing 3 monitor setup too. 3x1080p and I have to use v-sync. My old gtx 680 starting to show age, but there is nothing worth upgrading too. I am not rich bastard to spend 60eu for 25% increase in performance.
    I will try to adjust my settings, but at least I know it's not just me who noticed performance drops.
    I still don't know about the sense of speed though. I just dont feel it at all.

Now as,for Oculus Rift and driving sims. Until you try it, it's very hard to see why it's so cool and works so perfect. I tried it last week with mk1 and it blew my mind. I got so impressed, that I will be scraping my 3 monitor setup for 1 21:9 ratio monitor 3860x1440 ( when they go lower in price) + secondary 1080p for random stuff and Oculus Rift.
    When you use Oculus Rift you get a point of view from a helmet. It feels so natural that you don't need to get used to it at all. You can always look to the side and see what you need. Like I said, it's hard to explain, but trust me, once Oculus Rift will become consumer product, it's going to be a mist for sim racers.

OSI wrote: »
    The game really shouldn't be that difficult on GPUs. I had it running on a GTX 480 with all on max on a 1080P 3D vision monitor without it skipping a bit.

It is hard on GPUs, you are using 2,073,600 pixels, thats 2 megapixels, at 7680x1440 that increases to 11,059,200, thats 11 megapixels which is nearly five and a half times the amount of megapixels to push compared to one 1080p monitor.

Good representation of what OR can do to a racing sim just ignore the crap driver.

The game really shouldn't be that difficult on GPUs. I had it running on a GTX 480 with all on max on a 1080P 3D vision monitor without it skipping a bit.
    I don't know how your running it m\xed out on a GTX 480. I upgraded from a GTX 460 to a 770 and I still can't run it completely maxed out.

There's a race on this evening on racedepartment, the BMW E30 DTM on Mugello, 30 min practice, 15 minute qualy and a 15 lap race for anyone that has a membership there and wants to race.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Good representation of what OR can do to a racing sim just ignore the crap driver.

Its not really a crap driver thing m8. Resolution is so horrible that you cannot see a corner coming up. When you see it, its too late. It looks a lot better on the monitor then it is in actual rift. and when I say a lot better I mean A LOT!
    with mk1 Oculus rift its unplayable, but gives a great impression of technology and how awesome it will be when it works properly.

Hes a terrible driver in so many ways,in that vid atleast.

I've taken part in four online races now, two organised through racedepartment and two I just jumped into. It's a hell of a lot of fun, it's incredible how much more amped up I get racing really people, even when I'm out on my own.

The only bad experience was a race I jumped into loading corrupted or something. Sound didn't work, cars went flying up in the air, I could have quit at any time of course but I stuck with a horribly corrupted loading of the game rather than miss out on a race. Never experienced it again.

The game is already up to version 9.9. I wonder will we continue to get updates or are we looking at final release soon?

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've taken part in four online races now, two organised through racedepartment and two I just jumped into. It's a hell of a lot of fun, it's incredible how much more amped up I get racing really people, even when I'm out on my own.

The only bad experience was a race I jumped into loading corrupted or something. Sound didn't work, cars went flying up in the air, I could have quit at any time of course but I stuck with a horribly corrupted loading of the game rather than miss out on a race. Never experienced it again.

The game is already up to version 9.9. I wonder will we continue to get updates or are we looking at final release soon?

Games like this never have proper " full release ". Look at minecraft. It got a full release status, but it ment feck all the way game functions and how it gets updated.

I did only one online session and it was more of a track day free driving style, which I loved a lot. It's a lot more fun working on your times, whole other people drive around too. You get your own mini competition by trying to get closer to someone in front of you or trying to get away from someone behind. It gives a bit more lively sense to track. All that works if you don't have muppet just to wreck havoc.

Next big update coming on July 18th and is set to include the 1000hp lotus 98T.

There's also talk they'll have some sort of pit stops available in multiplayer by V1, it just won't have fancy animations.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

Hey guys,

I have Assetto Corsa at home and drive it now and then but I cannot get it to feel right. Kinda feels (only the fov now) like iRacing did before I got triples, I have no sense of speed at all in AC. Tried all kinds of settings but just doesn't feel right. Tried with a high fov but that just looks sooo wrong when on triple screens and using the normal fov that I use in most sims (40-50) feels wrong, any ideas?

Just ordered the Oculus DK2 so that will maybe fix it for me =)

• Advertisement

c0rn3y wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have Assetto Corsa at home and drive it now and then but I cannot get it to feel right. Kinda feels (only the fov now) like iRacing did before I got triples, I have no sense of speed at all in AC. Tried all kinds of settings but just doesn't feel right. Tried with a high fov but that just looks sooo wrong when on triple screens and using the normal fov that I use in most sims (40-50) feels wrong, any ideas?

Maybe this tread can help with the Sense of speed
    http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/no-sence-of-the-speed.1748/#post-13979

and hopefully there is update for the oculus in the update on the 18th. I should be in the first batch of DK2's so looking forward to the Lotus 98T.

and hopefully there is update for the oculus in the update on the 18th. I should be in the first batch of DK2's so looking forward to the Lotus 98T.

You have to write a small review of the dk2 when you get. Im sooo hoping the the resolution is ok.

Hehe I went a bit crazy today and put in some orders. Think my wife will knock me out hehe.

rSeat RS1 Black/Black
    Buttkicker Mount
    Keyboard/Mouse tray
    Tablet/Buttonbox Mount Kit
    Speakers Mount Kit
    Shifter Mount Upgrade kit

Buttkicker - THRONE THUMPER (THMP-1 )

DSD Track Boss button box

Fanatec
    ClubSport Wheel Base
    ClubSport Steering Wheel Porsche 918 RSR
    ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula Black
    ClubSport Pedals V2 EU ClubSport Pedals V2
    ClubSport Handbrake EU ClubSport Handbrake
    ClubSport USB Adapter EU ClubSport USB Adapter

Oculus Rift DK2

Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers.

:eek:

You'd nearly be saving money buying an actual track car!

But then I would probably die knowing me :)

Hey guys,

Well, looks like I am not the only one after all. I don't get since of speed in AC too. Makes it very hard for me to corner and I just have to watch my actual speed all the time.

On the other note. Do they just make performance worse and worse with each patch? When I just got AC I was able to run triple screen on my gtx 680 quite nicely. Now I am just dropping frames like crazy. On some challenges it became a pure slide show, even when I dropped to medium settings.

Well, looks like I am not the only one after all. I don't get since of speed in AC too. Makes it very hard for me to corner and I just have to watch my actual speed all the time.

On the other note. Do they just make performance worse and worse with each patch? When I just got AC I was able to run triple screen on my gtx 680 quite nicely. Now I am just dropping frames like crazy. On some challenges it became a pure slide show, even when I dropped to medium settings.

I have the same all the time now as well. Seems like they are adding to much new gfx details that are not optimised yet but I think that will all get better with time.

I read that lowering the gfx details to super low can make things feel better with the sense of speed but I have around 100 fps on my triples so it shouldn't be the problem but I will try tonight just to make sure.

• Advertisement

:eek:

You'd nearly be saving money buying an actual track car!
    You could get a very good track car for that money. You'd still have to pay more big money to race it and keep it track worthy. The outlay is about the same money wise but the running costs are much lower.
    I haven't worried too much about the sense of speed, I use a 45FOV so I've no peripheral at all. It is correct though, if you had the same restrictions on your vision in real life it would have the same effect as in the game. If there's no sense of speed on the rift I'll be mad but the way things are I just don't have the equipment for sense of speed.
    I've noticed performance drops lately too, it isn't to bad just yet but it's certainly worse than it was. I'm waiting for this next big update, I'm hoping it's going to fix some of these problems.

I read on the AC forum that a lot of people recommend that you use 60 fov to get a proper sense of speed. To me that feels like there is something wrong if you have to use a fov that high when sitting so close to the screens. Would be different using a console and sitting on the sofa some meters away.

Loads of people have told me that I should get a track car instead but here is the real kicker hehe, Im not into motorsports really at all (or any other non esport). I have tried all kinds of track driving in real life, driven rally many times and loads of go-karting and sure its fun but I have more fun sitting in front of my computer =) .... yes I am a computer nerd.

Sim racing catched me because of playing quake 3 way to much. In quake3 (or any quake version) you need to be 100% focused all the time and you need to have good reflexes and never ever look away and be super fast and continuously moving .. this is similar to sim racing, if you are not 100% focused you are off the road or your lap times get hit hard. I know it sounds crazy comparing a super fast FPS game to sim racing but I hope that you get what I mean here =)

I don't really see the issue in splashing out like that for sim rig. Yes, you could buy a track car, but it would be a continues money Pit and you will be able to get it for a spin only few days per year. Sim rig - fire her up when you feel like it. Even more fun when you have a few beers in ya. You can't really do that in track car :pac:

It's not an issue. I was making a lighthearted observation that he was spending a lot money.

Hope I didn't come off as if I was angry or anything, was really not my intention at all :)

I wouldn't normally spend this much on anything really. This time was a bit different and of course not easy for you guys to know that. Im buying stuff that I can use for many many years and going to dedicate to my mum that past away recently, wanted something that I love doing and that makes me happy at the same time so that every time I use it I can be happy and think about her at the same time.

Anyway it feels like I hijacked the thread now (sorry for that) so lets get back to talking about AC :)

@Squidwert: Any tracking data received regarding your OR DK2? =)

Not yet hopefully today.

Not yet hopefully today.

Not yet hopefully today.

Damn I wouldnt be able to concentrate all day at work if I was waiting for that today hehe. Hope you get the tracking info today man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Has there been any improvements to the Rift support lately?

• Advertisement
Advertisement