Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will people remember this summer ?

Options
  • 11-07-2013 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I don't think so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

I know what you did last summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Will people remember this thread?
    I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I think so. It feels like the first year since those horrible rainy summers that we've had any sort of sustained period of sun in June - august. I know this is the weather forum, so I'll probably get corrected pretty fast for that, but it certainly feels that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

too early to say, we are probably close to the August 2003 and July 2006 heat waves but there's still a long way to go before we can come into to the summers of 1975, 1976, 1983, 1984, 1989, 1995 category - only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

i know people say irish are never happy
    its either too cold or too hot
    but for gods sake can we not just have it nice and cool out, no need for wearing jackets but no need for wearing suncream either :L
    i prefer winter then this heatwave right now, ive had enough of it :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

For me 1995 is my benchmark summer. I do remember it had some cooler cloudier periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Jpmarn wrote: »
    For me 1995 is my benchmark summer. I do remember it had some cooler cloudier periods.

That's the summer that sticks in my mind. Don't remember any cool or cloudy periods though... just intense heat from May to August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

'95 The Junior Cert, and the shirts melting off our backs in the exam hall...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Too early to tell. Certainly no ones going to remember it because of the last few days if we go back to business as usual next week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Immolation

I remember the ground cracking from drought in '95, didn't rain for 3 months.
    Couldn't throw away our fag butts on the golf course cause everything would have gone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Yes but not for the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

delw wrote: »
    Yes but not for the weather

controversial!

If you did a snapshot Reeling in the Years right now, it would have a Canadian train crash, Edward Snowden, the matter at hand in the Dáil, and a montage of Sandycove, Ballybunion and Salthill with the caption "Ireland basks as summer temperatures soared to their highest levels in years" ........

Oh, and the Lions......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Domain

People are still talking about the last heat wave we got, now they'll probably refer to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I can barely remember the last great summer as I was about 8. I just remember eating a lot of super splits. This one I will definitely remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I don't really care about the weather, i just want to know what the next days weather will be like and that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ill remember this Summer coz I went to the beach for my 2 year old twins birthday on July 20th (their birthday is 24th but was working that day) and it was 29.3c

When they were born it was 24.1c on the day and we still talk about it (weatherwise as well as labourwise!) 2 years later, until this year.

So I guess what im saying is that I reckon its right up there with 2006 temperature wise and July 2013 is heading for the warmest July in Sligo for a long long time if we get the last 3 days with an average of 17 , for example 21 in the day and 13 at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Its not too early to say imho,depending on location
    21c at midnight in Arklow,I've never seen before,either in 95 or 76.
    And as posted in current conditions just now...
    7th day in a row where Arklow's temp has reached 23c..after the heatwave.
    Even reached it yesterday too,just before all the thunder.
    Given most of July also was above 22c in sea breeze Arklow,this is indeed an unusual summer.
    Probably wont do it tomorrow,but might go above 20 again.
    To paraphrase someone else ;) Where is this place and what have they done with the real Arklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Well, its back to normal today as the crap that passes for weather here is fully restored :mad: Roll on to 2033 for the next 'real' summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I think people will remember the fortnight in the mediterranean conditions we had, like a summer holiday from the incessant shìt that is tipping down right now

Particularly after the past few years of nothing really. I have remembered less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Apart from every summer when I was a kid being warm and sunny I remember 89, 95 and 05 (was 05 good?).

Every summer I curse SE England when I watch forcasts on TV to see them near the 30s for prolonged periods. This year those tables were turned. For that I will never forget this summer. Oh, that and I have a colour on my legs.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Unless we get another 5 day or more period in August, I really don't think it will stand out among the truly epic summers (1976, 1983, 1984 and 1995). I think it will be more remembered as a good/great summer similar to 1989/90, 2003 and 2006 and I think it's just weather enthusiasts that can accurately recall those lesser known years.

1976 and 1995 are the summers that every layman and person who doesn't have a clue about weather still remember (if they're old enough!). They are still the benchmarks in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

ongarboy wrote: »
    Unless we get another 5 day or more period in August, I really don't think it will stand out among the truly epic summers (1976, 1983, 1984 and 1995). I think it will be more remembered as a good/great summer similar to 1989/90, 2003 and 2006 and I think it's just weather enthusiasts that can accurately recall those lesser known years.

True, it'll be in the 1989/90, 2006 stable. I refuse to acknowledge 2003, as it was awful in Ireland. Overcast high 20s mugginess is not my bag. And meanwhile, the UK basked. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Every summer I curse SE England when I watch forcasts on TV to see them near the 30s for prolonged periods. This year those tables were turned.

No they weren't. :confused:

SE England has hit 30+ numerous times this summer so far, and their heatwave had more longevity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

No they weren't. :confused:

SE England has hit 30+ numerous times this summer so far, and their heatwave had more longevity too.

On occasion we were hotter. Tis all I was saying!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RTE Fan

Nope. August has been a bit ****. August 2010 was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Ive heard people who have no interest in the weather (unlike us lot) describe this summer as a "great summer" but they're only comparing it with the previous six summers. But no, it comes nowhere near 75, 76, 83, 84, 89, 95.
    So, not a bad summer, I suppose you could call it the best of a bad lot !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I will really remember this summer after years of crap summers in west Galway. I just remember it being very dry and relatively warm. I just know I got loads done in terms of outdoor activities (swimming, kayaking, climbing, walking etc).
    For once I am ready for a restful winter in front of the fire...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This summer is 1995-lite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RTE Fan

Danno wrote: »
    This summer is 1995-lite.

Doesn't come anywhere near 1995... 2003 lite

Advertisement