Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tournaments and XGC events

Options
  • 11-07-2013 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭

The owner of XGC asked me if the community was interested in helping raise awareness of gaming events around Dublin and Ireland

Stuff like

• Lol tourneys
    • Cod, fifa etc
    • Fighting games
    e.gs

Something small was put together last year [around the 25th SF anniversary in france] which people didn't attend due to unawareness or apathy

Looking to really go ahead with it this time, only if we're interested ofc

I was asked if the people that help maintain our scene would like to sit down and have a brief chat about creating a more active scene for Fighting games, maybe even titles like LOL Dota if people are willing to compete.

Setting up teams to compete against each other to win pot prizes in XGC

It was a long chat we had, but, basically boiled down to creating a better, more vibrant scene, starting small, then growing bigger and bigger

idk if this has occured before between us, if not, let me know if theres legitimate interest for this.

A bi-weekly tourney setting like Armhouse for Ireland seems very feasible from this considering the talks I've had with the owner about improvements.

I'm Tired, Discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

More AE = Good

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'd certainly be very happy to work a bit more with them on tournaments and stuff if we could maybe tailor stuff for recording etc when we're there more. I'd also probably be happy to record other genres if they'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If they could give us some bandwidth for streaming, that would be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Sounds really good. Color me interested. Would love to help in any way I can too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yep sounds good. Bagsy being captain of the official XGC dota team.

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Yep sounds good. Bagsy being captain of the official XGC dota team.

Dotabajs?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

I would attend bi weekly and maybe even weekly AE tournaments.
    Make them as cheap as possible imo to get as many out as possible.

I think it would be hype and good training for us all before Cannes!

As for Doom and recordings, I hope you don't feel obliged to record something like this. I'd prefer you to play if you had to choose. I'd imagine recording every week or two might get old fast. Also things may run smoother and faster without a recording setup that everyone wants to be on. Just throwing that out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Ramza wrote: »
    Sounds really good. Color me interested. Would love to help in any way I can too :)

Seconded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Doyler01 wrote: »

Yeah, price is a big consideration when it comes to regular attendance.

I don't know if their goal is to make money from us more often, or just to genuinely increase exposure and a sense of an "XGC community".

If it's the latter, could we maybe sign up as some sort of "XGC VIP member", who pays a flat cost over a certain calendar date, but gets free entry into all these tournaments we're talking about?

That way if we sign up, we'll feel like we're losing money if we DON'T attend, whereas it is currently the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

excellent idea. +1 like etc.

Whilst I agree with Doyler re Doom not recording all the time, that does not mean there can't be recording done at each weekly event.

Pool of the willing, able and competent to sub is all that is required.

I'll stand corrected, but I think he'll want the regular content for the Channel. Just imo

• Advertisement

Doyler01 wrote: »

I think it would be hype and good training for us all before Cannes!

As for Doom and recordings, I hope you don't feel obliged to record something like this. I'd prefer you to play if you had to choose. I'd imagine recording every week or two might get old fast. Also things may run smoother and faster without a recording setup that everyone wants to be on. Just throwing that out there.

If we were running small weekly tournaments then no, I don't think I'd record them all. I'd probably record some (whenever I wanted to max the CPM :P) but unless the XGC wanted to do some next level style deal with me, I'd probably usually just play.

ayjayirl wrote: »

Pool of the willing, able and competent to sub is all that is required.

I'll stand corrected, but I think he'll want the regular content for the Channel. Just imo

This is also true. I am however aware that things like helping me record and commentary etc can cut into other people's fun time. I'm not about that either, so it'd be something we could all discuss if this ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

good job!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

"the xgc weekly"

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

XGCBC? Xtreme Gaming Centre Battle Circuit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭trecs

XGCBC? Xtreme Gaming Centre Battle Circuit :D

I'd Nominate you as the 'Commentator'! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

i might help if the guy will give me my 3 euro back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Right, moving in with reason this thread was created

We need 2 if not 3 people to attend a meeting with the XGC owner to sort some things out Such as Events, games, advertising etc

Now, his English is rudimentary at best but okay enough that there will be no mis-translation, he has assured me that he understands how competitive teams and gaming works to achieve financial gain and stay active, the man has no reason to forge any false claims with this, especially noted is his assistance with a venue, pot prizes, enhanced XGC experience, really he's risking more with this then us.

This all needs action and time, so I propose that we start with chattin' with him in the coming weeks.
    Wed and Sat are both preferable days for chats as he's there on a double shift

Anyone that would be interest in representing the scenes interests [I would suggest pas TO's and organizers]
    Understand that nobody should feel obligated to attend if they do not wish,there will be a small, small amount of responsibility with this.

Post up next 1-2 weeks

Yeah I'm up for it. Have talked to him a few times before. If ayjay or Voa are free to do it I think either of them would be a good person to have involved in the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

On a side note, and not to get ahead of ourselves, as far as advertising goes, posters/flyers of some sort could be done up and given to willing people who could hand them out to local Gamestops, xtravisions etc in their local area, around the country. I know I would definitely love to help by doing that here anyway, and of course if price came into it I'd even pay for the printing if it was an issue, anything to get the word out :)

I know a tonne of people in the country (definitely in my town anyway), who are fifa/cod/battlefield/whatever crazy, a catchy poster/flyer in the shops would definitely grab their attention, as they may not see the Fb group or whatnot. Just a suggestion, although I think this suggestion is a given

• Advertisement

Right, I'm going to see what days are available and what best suits anyone that wants to volunteer to meet up

I'll get the details and then take names of individuals after

Smashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

I was just thinking, the Tekken community are planning on making there own tournament series instead of the Ranbats that they were doing. This is still in the discussion stage though. However they will more than likely be held in the XGC like the previous ranbats were. If there are some form of tournaments/events going to be held in the XGC in the future it would be pointless having them side by side and not being apart of one another. Obviously you are still in talks with the XGC about this but I thought I would mention it here so that it can be taken into account when proper talks with the XGC begin. I feel that the Tekken community running their own events won't end too well, just look at the ranbats it was a bit of a mess and having separate tournaments/events will only really widen the community. So when talking to the XGC keep that in mind or better yet get someone like Kuro or Fergus (if they are willing to do it) to be part of the negotiations. I will mention this in the Tekken thread also.

Okay so I've got some news

The Owner [dude behind the desk whos name escapes me] would like to chat sometime this friday or sat, even next friday, sat.

I've got to give him the okay before anything can start

So, first off; Who is willing to attend?
    Dreddy said he would be happy to, but I'd like to get an okay before confirming him, just in case circumstances have changed.
    2 other people would be great to have also.
    I could represent, but, I'd like to have others that have volunteered or have run before tourneys in the past.

So, What I know so far:

1. It'll be a brief talk, 20mins to 1hour at most
    2. There will be a translater to help ease things along
    3. Talks of having open days on consoles, PC's may possibly come up, along with big tourney schedules.
    Main discussion will be advertisement for events and tournaments themselves.

Time on Friday and sat best is between 12 - 3:30 I'm told, I'll get exact info when I get some names

I was just thinking, the Tekken community are planning on making there own tournament series instead of the Ranbats that they were doing. This is still in the discussion stage though. However they will more than likely be held in the XGC like the previous ranbats were. If there are some form of tournaments/events going to be held in the XGC in the future it would be pointless having them side by side and not being apart of one another. Obviously you are still in talks with the XGC about this but I thought I would mention it here so that it can be taken into account when proper talks with the XGC begin. I feel that the Tekken community running their own events won't end too well, just look at the ranbats it was a bit of a mess and having separate tournaments/events will only really widen the community. So when talking to the XGC keep that in mind or better yet get someone like Kuro or Fergus (if they are willing to do it) to be part of the negotiations. I will mention this in the Tekken thread also.

The talks we're having will not curtail w/e the community wants to do, if you guys wish to run ranbats or have a TTT2 tourney, do as you wish!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

yeah ill go just confirm the times and let me know as i have to travel far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'm in a talkative mood so I'll shoot. It's probably too much but if it was really to come together then I'd look at renovating the room with an eye towards tourmaments/competitive. Stuff like a spectator area with audience screens, which could perhaps be linked to head to head setups. I'd also be looking at a sealed off area that could allow Doom (or anyone else) to set up a recording station.

Also from previous experience, getting people out for bigger games is a challenge. The problem with COD and Fifa is that the online experience gives them a gameplay experience that is as good as they can get. And it's hard to convince those players that the intangible benefits of offline (friends :pac:) is worth it. Look to niche communties, like the FGC, that benefit from offline play and can also better see the intangibles because of smaller communities.
    Top of the head, Madden players. They've even got a forum right here on boards if you want to involve them. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1541

Feel free to ignore me.

Yep I can confirm I'll be there, whenever the meeting is held for (if it's this weekend yep that's grand by me).

Next couple of weekends will be difficult for me, but if you could point out the channel and point out how happy I am to record if they want to work with me (possibly on other games too if they want to) I'll be happy to.

Also that I don't always destroy property.

Orim wrote: »
    Look to niche communties, like the FGC, that benefit from offline play and can also better see the intangibles because of smaller communities.
    Top of the head, Madden players. They've even got a forum right here on boards if you want to involve them. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1541

Feel free to ignore me.

That's a bit egotistical, talking up Madden :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

That's a bit egotistical, talking up Madden

I'm confused.

Advertisement