Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to hide electrical wiring for tv

Options
  • 11-07-2013 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,
    In the attached picture I have wiring for the TV under the chimney breast stud. We were going to have TV over fire but now have decided to wall mount it to the left of chimney breast. The wall is internally insulated.
    My question: how do I now run the wires across to TV and allow for DVD and sky box, etc in an effective inconspicuous manner? Video and sky bow will likely sit on plinth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Linto wrote: »
    Hi,
    In the attached picture I have wiring for the TV under the chimney breast stud. We were going to have TV over fire but now have decided to wall mount it to the left of chimney breast. The wall is internally insulated.
    My question: how do I now run the wires across to TV and allow for DVD and sky box, etc in an effective inconspicuous manner? Video and sky bow will likely sit on plinth.

I'd put a 2r3 inch pipe in the wall with a draw wire for pulling threw cables after.might mean taking down a slab too insert said pipe then put the slab back.also buy tv and bracket ASAP so you can offer up the bracket and see where you will need the pipe too look out behind the tv.If this isn't possible I'd bring the pipe out off centre as thats where the bracket will be fixed and if you need too have room behind the tv after for cables I'd cut 2 pieces of 2x1 timer screw these too the wall then mount the bracket on those given you a gap behind the tv.

Also you say the sky box will go on the ledge?i see no coaxial cables or power points there????

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Linto

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I'd put a 2r3 inch pipe in the wall with a draw wire for pulling threw cables after.might mean taking down a slab too insert said pipe then put the slab back.also buy tv and bracket ASAP so you can offer up the bracket and see where you will need the pipe too look out behind the tv.If this isn't possible I'd bring the pipe out off centre as thats where the bracket will be fixed and if you need too have room behind the tv after for cables I'd cut 2 pieces of 2x1 timer screw these too the wall then mount the bracket on those given you a gap behind the tv.

Also you say the sky box will go on the ledge?i see no coaxial cables or power points there????

Thanks a million.
    A draw wire?? How does that work and where do I get one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Thanks a million.

It just means a length of wire/string/etc to be used to pull cables through the pipe later on. Make sure its strong enough to pull these without breaking, as it may not be possible to re-thread it once everything has been plastered and covered up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Thanks a million.

Ya just a scrap piece of cable thats probably lying around the job will do.this piece will stay in the wall all the time.ie if you need too pull a hdmi cable in make sure you pull in a new draw wire with it.if you ask the sparks on site hell explain. I'd also recigmend asking the sparks too run a 2.5 twin and earth too the ledge so you have power for the sky box and DVD player and also 2 x 50oham coaxial cables and 1 x 4 pair telephone cable from the ledge back too your attic other wise when sky arrive they'll just run the cables any way that suits them after wards even across finished walls etc!

Advertisement