Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 20), July 12-14, 2013

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dfx- wrote: »
    What is the difference McDonnell has made?

Stable starting eleven..defensive formation...more attacking formation...instilling discipline.

In his first game in Tallaght, he was trying to get players to stop arguing with the referee and concentrate on getting back in line and getting on with it..

Discipline issue seems to be sorted, motivation and determination is now there from the players which wasn't before, and he seems to have a solid plan of where we needed sorting out and how to sort it(dropping Burdon for example and signing Lee Murphy, Burdon was a great shot stopper but lacked any command of the back line and his kicking wasn't great).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Sligo Lads is there any radio station (that can be reached online) that will be covering the match tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

kksaints wrote: »
    Sligo Lads is there any radio station (that can be reached online) that will be covering the match tomorrow?

I'm sure I've listened in on Ocean FM before.

www.oceanfm.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

There'll be frequent updates on Ocean but don't think they have the home games on live. Its worth the trip up just to avoid having to listen to Ocean.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    There'll be frequent updates on Ocean but don't think they have the home games on live. Its worth the trip up just to avoid having to listen to Ocean.

Sadly Sligo is a bit too far for me tomorrow.

kksaints wrote: »
    Sadly Sligo is a bit too far for me tomorrow.
    You'll never say that again after the torture of Ocean FM. Hope you like Country and Western music!

You'll never say that again after the torture of Ocean FM. Hope you like Country and Western music!

I dont but it cant be much worse than KCLR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Thought Ocean were doing live commentary on all our games this year? I've listened to two home games on there this season but that was ages ago. Maybe they've stopped doing the home ones now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Oat23 wrote: »
    Thought Ocean were doing live commentary on all our games this year? I've listened to two home games on there this season but that was ages ago. Maybe they've stopped doing the home ones now.
    I think Ocean do all the matches.

• Advertisement

They might alright. I haven't missed a home game in a while so haven't had to listen. I'm sure they'll squeeze the death notices in at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

UCD currently beating Drogheda to compound the misery even further. Ugh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

UCD 2-2
    Pats 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Getting a little sick of the silly mistakes Drogs are making that lead to goals against. I also dont know what it is with Sava handling the ball outside his box. He must have been 3 yards outside today and I think that is the 4th time he has done it this season. UCD keeper made 2 very good saves at the very end.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Fair play to Pats.

1st team I've seen that take more fans to away matches than they have at home games.

We need to stop throwing this league away. Pats were awful and we left it late to snatch a point. Four points they've gotten against us without creating a single chance.

• Advertisement

Oh and Bolger is dirt. Horrible little person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Rovers-Derry was a great game, two teams that really showed up and like to play attractive football.

From a Rovers perspective, it was arguably the most satisfying win of the season. Could have had more but some shocking finishing let us down.

The good:
    - Derek Foran was an absolute warrior. Had one of those 'they shall not pass' evenings that every good defender enjoys a few times in their career. Rovers' signing of the season IMO.
    - Ledwith's winner was brilliant - so soon after conceding, he just had a Terminator moment, the cut inside and shot were excellent.
    - Zayed didn't get much of a platform to shine, but had some nice touches.
    - We're a lot better at moving it up the field with speed and accuracy.
    - Sully didn't get booked until well into the second half, and it wasn't for dissent.
    - That Barry Mcnamee lad looks some player, really ran their show once they were on the attack. Credit to Rice and Chambers for containing them on the break.

The bad:
    - Billy Dennehy just isn't good enough. It's a shame, because he works hard and is a really decent skin, but his decision-making is bizzare and his delivery isn't up to scratch. For all his famous attitude, the poison pixie Gary McCabe is a better option.
    - A few players seem to be playing the percentages, looking for a throw, corner or free in an attacking situation rather than trying something more positive. He's a real talent, but Finn for me is the worst offender here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

geeky wrote: »
    - Derek Foran was an absolute warrior. Had one of those 'they shall not pass' evenings that every good defender enjoys a few times in their career. Rovers' signing of the season IMO.
    He had quite a few of those performances for us last season. Our player of the season by a mile. Really good attitude and a great professional.

Was down in the bowl yesterday. We were pretty lucky, Drogheda had three great chances at the end. UCD seriously need to tighten up that defence, but on the plus side we always look like we have goals in us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

geeky wrote: »

- Ledwith's winner was brilliant - so soon after conceding, he just had a Terminator moment, the cut inside and shot were excellent.

The bad:
    - Billy Dennehy just isn't good enough. It's a shame, because he works hard and is a really decent skin, but his decision-making is bizzare and his delivery isn't up to scratch. For all his famous attitude, the poison pixie Gary McCabe is a better option.

O'Connor scored both goals. The cut inside and shot were telegraphed. Everyone in the ground knew what he was going to do, except the Derry left full. Atrocious defending.
    I thought Billy did OK.

• Advertisement

Foran is up there with one of the best centre-halves I've seen in the league in the past ten years. Decision making, speed, ability on the ball, composure, aerial ability. A combination of him and Greacen would be imposing. I'd be offering Greacen a lot to come to Tallaght...

Sullivan was booked for kicking the ball away as far as I know. Same old same old. He was shattered tired after an hour.

Good to see Zayed giving Dennehy abuse for not delivering the ball quick enough and then Dennehy doing so next chance he had. Similarly Finn needs to send the ball into the box with his crossing ability rather than waiting to drop his shoulder again and re-beat his man instead.

O'Connor scored both goals. The cut inside and shot were telegraphed. Everyone in the ground knew what he was going to do, except the Derry left full. Atrocious defending.

Fat lot of good it did the keeper if he saw it coming! I'll watch it again tonight but, from my vantage point, he had other options but wrong-footed the Derry defence
    I thought Billy did OK.

Billy has pace and a great attitude, and chases down every winnable ball. But he doesn't beat his man, deliver quality crosses, or show poise in front of goal with the required consistency. I would love him to do well, but he's been playing like a man with very little confidence (excluding a 2-3 game purple patch) for a long time.

Foran is up there with one of the best centre-halves I've seen in the league in the past ten years. Decision making, speed, ability on the ball, composure, aerial ability. A combination of him and Greacen would be imposing. I'd be offering Greacen a lot to come to Tallaght...

Sullivan was booked for kicking the ball away as far as I know. Same old same old. He was shattered tired after an hour.

Good to see Zayed giving Dennehy abuse for not delivering the ball quick enough and then Dennehy doing so next chance he had. Similarly Finn needs to send the ball into the box with his crossing ability rather than waiting to drop his shoulder again and re-beat his man instead.

My bad, I thought Sully was booked for the tackle rather than him clearing the ball afterwards!

Is Jason McGuinness going to be back any time soon? He looked real quality in the few games he's played.

I think Sullivan might have been booked anyway but diving in and belting into the away support made sure of it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dundalk sending the kids to Dublin tonight for the Leinster Senior Cup Quarter-Final against Rovers this evening. Assuming Rovers put out a decent side (I'm guessing the likes of Mark Quigley will get a run out) the 1/2 on offer for a home win seems generous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Probably a bit off topic lads but serious question, how is Ronan Finn not playing at a higher standard he is a quality player surely only a matter of time before he is snapped up by an English club (no disrespect to the Irish league)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Callaghan is after getting the boot from us.

Genuinely wish him all the best. Lovely guy, just seemed to loose the confidence of the squad.

Finn can overcomplicate things in big games and doesn't score as many goals as he should. He also seems happy enough where he is..

Reserves beat Dundalk tonight 4-1. Interesting Quigley played in the middle upfront in the first half with Sheppard and Stewart and was largely ineffective. Zayed came on in the second half with Quigley behind him and Quigley ran the game.

Quigley behind Zayed seems a natural way to play. But that would mean dropping Chambers or Finn. Knowing Croly, he'd drop Finn first. He'd drop Twigg before he'd drop Chambers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Finn can overcomplicate things in big games and doesn't score as many goals as he should. He also seems happy enough where he is..

Reserves beat Dundalk tonight 4-1. Interesting Quigley played in the middle upfront in the first half with Sheppard and Stewart and was largely ineffective. Zayed came on in the second half with Quigley behind him and Quigley ran the game.

Quigley behind Zayed seems a natural way to play. But that would mean dropping Chambers or Finn. Knowing Croly, he'd drop Finn first. He'd drop Twigg before he'd drop Chambers.

Finn missed the sitters of sitters on Friday night :eek:

Shamrock Rovers Reserves beat Dundalk U-19's if you realy want to put a spin on the result off tonights match ;)

Well the u-19s + Towell and Faherty..;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Well the u-19s + Towell and Faherty..;)

both only played 45mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Rovers had three 17 year olds playing last night. The centre half looked solid, just made one mistake.
    Libyan underage international, Mohammed ?, looked really impressive when he came on with 15 minutes left.

Watched MNS last night. That first penalty decision for Cork was a fúcking disgrace. Ref gives the penalty. Then has a word with the linesman who overturns it. Then the ref books the Cork lad for diving. Farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

That_Guy wrote: »
    Watched MNS last night. That first penalty decision for Cork was a fúcking disgrace. Ref gives the penalty. Then has a word with the linesman who overturns it. Then the ref books the Cork lad for diving. Farce.

Am tending towards a penno myself, had a clear view to the incident. But it seemed to me the linesman flagged for offside and the Cork player was booked for moaning about the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

MNS is brutal. Shelbourne's second goal was offside but sure we don't have an angle on it so lets just move on. Amateur stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Oh and Bolger is dirt. Horrible little person.

Best player on the pitch and one of the players of the season. He's class!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Best player on the pitch and one of the players of the season. He's class!
    Nowhere close to best on the pitch. With the exception of Clark no pats player was any good. Constantly sniping at players legs`and throwing his arms about in every single challenge. Dirt. We've seen some filthy players in recent weeks (Pat Flynn and Axel Boss deserving special mention) but Bolger is the worst of the worst. How he stayed on the pitch is a mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Am tending towards a penno myself, had a clear view to the incident. But it seemed to me the linesman flagged for offside and the Cork player was booked for moaning about the decision.

He was booked for diving apparently. An utter disgrace of a decision. Lino told Tommy Dunne after the game "sure ye are always moaning in Cork". Ya sound. I would say that Shells bribed him, but they have as little money as us :pac:

The 2nd penalty shout was not a pen. If there was to be a booking for a dive, it was that one.

gimmick wrote: »
    He was booked for diving apparently. An utter disgrace of a decision. Lino told Tommy Dunne after the game "sure ye are always moaning in Cork". Ya sound. I would say that Shells bribed him, but they have as little money as us :pac:

The 2nd penalty shout was not a pen. If there was to be a booking for a dive, it was that one.

Agreed. Though the Cork lad was looking for it and went down far too easily. If there was contact it was minimal at best.

First was a definite penalty. No question about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

gimmick wrote: »

You're right, Shels are not made of money, our greenkeeper can't even afford a new pitchfork :pac:

Advertisement