Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotmail/Outlook deleted over 600 recipients in my draft email!! Please HELP!!!!

Options
  • 11-07-2013 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello

I recently had my hotmail account upgraded to outlook.

I had recently prepared an email to send to over 800 email addresses (ie recipients)
    I hadn't finalised the text in the email so I entered in over 800 email addresses and saved the email as a draft.

The draft has been there over a week and I have gradually changed the body of the email, leaving the recipients unchanged. I checked the emal addresses every night and each time all 800 or so were still there.

Today, I tried to send the email but the email failed and I got a warning message saying
    Help with error: Please use the following format for email addresses: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. If you're using category names or nicknames, make sure you don't have any typos.
    This was on Google Chrome, so I saved the draft and signed out of my account. I then went onto Firefox and signed into my account. Once I clicked into the draft email, a window popped up mentioning something about running scripts. I just clicked continue.
    I then signed out of my account, then signed in again...clicked on my draft email to notice OVER 600 EMAIL ADDRESSES HAD BEEN JUST WIPED FROM MY To: box (ie box where you enter in receipients email)

I immediately signed out and signed back in on Google Chrome and the 600 emails are STILL GONE!

This is extremely distressing for me as all those emails are vitally important and took hours and hours to collect.

How can something like this happen? Please, anyone out there now how I can recover these email addresses? Goes without saying that I am desperate here and am praying somebody can help me out!?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

joemankwik wrote: »
    Hello

I recently had my hotmail account upgraded to outlook.

I had recently prepared an email to send to over 800 email addresses (ie recipients)
    I hadn't finalised the text in the email so I entered in over 800 email addresses and saved the email as a draft.

The draft has been there over a week and I have gradually changed the body of the email, leaving the recipients unchanged. I checked the emal addresses every night and each time all 800 or so were still there.

Today, I tried to send the email but the email failed and I got a warning message saying
    Help with error: Please use the following format for email addresses: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. If you're using category names or nicknames, make sure you don't have any typos.
    This was on Google Chrome, so I saved the draft and signed out of my account. I then went onto Firefox and signed into my account. Once I clicked into the draft email, a window popped up mentioning something about running scripts. I just clicked continue.
    I then signed out of my account, then signed in again...clicked on my draft email to notice OVER 600 EMAIL ADDRESSES HAD BEEN JUST WIPED FROM MY To: box (ie box where you enter in receipients email)

I immediately signed out and signed back in on Google Chrome and the 600 emails are STILL GONE!

This is extremely distressing for me as all those emails are vitally important and took hours and hours to collect.

How can something like this happen? Please, anyone out there now how I can recover these email addresses? Goes without saying that I am desperate here and am praying somebody can help me out!?

Thanks

I cannot help you here, except it's probable that Microsoft block mass mailing like this to prevent spammers abusing their service. Putting 600 emails in the to: box is also a massive privacy violation/data protection issue especially if your a business (although this applies to everyone). You could try a hosted email marketing service like mailchimp but be aware you are legally not allowed to spam people and a major pizza retailer recently got a large fine in court for doing this. If people consent to your newsletter then use a mailing list provider for this purpose, never use the likes of gmail, outlook, yahoo etc..

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭T-Bird

If you are going to bulk send like that, it would be a good idea to enter the addresses in the bcc area.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

sorry to hijack the OP. But I am having a problem with microsoft outlook as it will not send a large document and will also not let me delete it.

Its just sitting there and clogging up the machine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

gizmo23 wrote: »
    sorry to hijack the OP. But I am having a problem with microsoft outlook as it will not send a large document and will also not let me delete it.

Its just sitting there and clogging up the machine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Delete it from the Outbox in outlook

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement