Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install firmware on SamKnows TP-Link WR741ND

• 11-07-2013 3:09am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

I have one of these SamKnow boxes that the EU were handing out to test broadband speeds across the EU. It's pretty locked down (only works as a wired bridge, no Wi-FI) but by installing a custom firmware you can make it usable. I've tried following this guide but when I try to copy the firmware to the router (Part 5, second paragraph) it times out and says it can't connect. I'm using FileZilla server to host the file for what it's worth. Has any one done this before or know where I'm going wrong. It's my first time using FTP and wget so I'm a bit lost.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

You can only use it after 2yrs with them they let you unlock it then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

I have one of these SamKnow boxes that the EU were handing out to test broadband speeds across the EU. It's pretty locked down (only works as a wired bridge, no Wi-FI) but by installing a custom firmware you can make it usable. I've tried following this guide but when I try to copy the firmware to the router (Part 5, second paragraph) it times out and says it can't connect. I'm using FileZilla server to host the file for what it's worth. Has any one done this before or know where I'm going wrong. It's my first time using FTP and wget so I'm a bit lost.

I received one of the TL-WR1043nd from Samknows when the project started, which I eventually flashed with Open WRT instead as the project seemed to die.
    There's slightly different ways to complete the process, one being installing a basic firmware to the device first, before then proceeding to install custom firmware, which is what I did. For the WR741ND I imagine it's very similar.
    I'll dig out some links over the next couple days for you. A friend received one of these as well which is still running on the Samknows firmware, so if needs be I'll try put together a tutorial myself. Are you specifically looking to install DD-WRT, OpenWRT or does it matter?
    You can only use it after 2yrs with them they let you unlock it then

That's a condition specified by the project, but not technically enforced.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

roast wrote: »
    I received one of the TL-WR1043nd from Samknows when the project started, which I eventually flashed with Open WRT instead as the project seemed to die.
    There's slightly different ways to complete the process, one being installing a basic firmware to the device first, before then proceeding to install custom firmware, which is what I did. For the WR741ND I imagine it's very similar.
    I'll dig out some links over the next couple days for you. A friend received one of these as well which is still running on the Samknows firmware, so if needs be I'll try put together a tutorial myself. Are you specifically looking to install DD-WRT, OpenWRT or does it matter?

It doesn't really matter which firmware goes on it. I'm just looking to use it as a router so I don't mind either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

project seemed to die.

My box is still reporting and going strong - I don't think the project has died off. still looks like they are looking for testers https://www.samknows.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

tui0hcg wrote: »
    My box is still reporting and going strong - I don't think the project has died off. still looks like they are looking for testers https://www.samknows.eu/

I know a bunch of people who've signed up to the project in the last year-and-a-half or so, and haven't received any unit or indeed, any communication from them. My login still works, not showing any recent stats though. The project is still underway but they don't seem to be paying much attention to it anymore. They haven't contacted me or the other people I know who eventually removed the unit or flashed it with alternate firmware.

Anyway, I got another switch recently, so I'm just going to flash it with the Samknows firmware again. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I know a bunch of people who've signed up to the project in the last year-and-a-half or so, and haven't received any unit or indeed, any communication from them. My login still works, not showing any recent stats though. The project is still underway but they don't seem to be paying much attention to it anymore. They haven't contacted me or the other people I know who eventually removed the unit or flashed it with alternate firmware.

Anyway, I got another switch recently, so I'm just going to flash it with the Samknows firmware again. :P

Last bit of details I got where a few days ago

The project is now moving into Phase 2 and will continue until 2014 with the next report to be published using data collected in September 2013. Please ensure you keep your Whitebox connected to enable us to continue measuring performance with a view to improving the provision of broadband services across the EU.

Sorry I know this is a bit off topic

Advertisement