Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new Karate Gi - Need advice

Options
  • 11-07-2013 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I need a new karate gi, last one did me 4 years, but its shrunk and one of the tassels is broken, just annoying.

But I wana get a really comfortable one and don't mind shelling out a big more for a way more comfortable fit.

Was looking at this website https://www.tokaidojapan.com as they seem less focused on marketing their gi's and more on specifics such as cut and comfort.

Haven't been in Mullens in town in a long while but does anyone know if they have good stuff? Or other places/websites would be a help,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gustavatwork

My favorite brand is HIROTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

I don't think you can go far wrong with Blitz, very reasonably priced and extra pair of pants.... good quality, great customer service etc.

But if you want to spend money, have a look at Shureido, nice custom made one for 260 plus p&p etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

I have used tokaido.jp and found them very good.

I got this one, which came in at about €200 and maybe €20 customs charges.
    https://www.tokaidojapan.com/ntokaido/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33_2&products_id=14
    (They don't seem to display Eur price option anymore?)

The suit is very light but it's a really good shape so I find it suitable for Kata and Kumite (although I do have a very heavy one for Kata also). It's definitely my favourite suit for day to day training.

I would recommend Tokaido. One tiny tiny thing to mention though, if you held this up beside a suit of any other brand you might notice the slightest hint of blueish colour rather than pure white. Makes no difference to me but some of the other guys in the club have noticed this with theirs also.
    With that said, a few of them bought one after I got mine and they are also very happy with them.

I've seen Damo recommend Blitz a few times now and I think I'll try one of these next time:
    http://www.blitzsport.com/Adult-White-Diamond-Karate-Suit?sc=8&category=2253622

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Konvict

One tiny tiny thing to mention though, if you held this up beside a suit of any other brand you might notice the slightest hint of blueish colour rather than pure white. Makes no difference to me but some of the other guys in the club have noticed this with theirs also.

Yeah I heard my Sensei talk about this blueish suit before and gathered he liked it. Thanks for that.

Also, how do you know what you want from cut etc? One thing that really annoys me about my current suit is its always riding up over my belt. And also the arms are too long and getting in the way of my punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mr roper

i got a shuredio gi last year really like it and cant say a bad word about it,got it from an irish company called tornado sports.ie, they sell blitz suits as well but are actually cheaper than buying them from an english site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

I think the Tokaido one would suit you. The Kumite one I linked in the last post has slightly shorter sleeves, about 3/4 forearm length. The top isn't overly long but I think if you buy a half size larger you won't have any issues with it going over the belt. I think with every karate gi there's at least a little bit of shinkage after the first wash so you won't run the risk of having it too big, should be just right.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ikku

Budo Nord have a very good range of kumite and kata suits ,Simon O Dowd is the supplier he s based in Derry but will post suits and very reasonably priced .

Advertisement