Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who at The BBC Proms Saturday 13 July 7.30pm – c. 9.45pm

Options
  • 11-07-2013 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭

A rather delightful audio treat this Saturday. For the third time Doctor Who music will be played out in the Royal Albert Hall.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2013/july-13/14610
    About this event
    Programme to include:

Murray Gold
    Music from the Doctor Who series

and other music from the series, including the Habanera from Bizet’s Carmen Suite No. 2, Debussy’s ‘La fille aux cheveux de lin’ and Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor

London Philharmonic Choir
    BBC National Orchestra of Wales
    Ben Foster conductor

Doctor Who returns to the Proms to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the popular BBC series. As well as showcasing Murray Gold’s music from the past eight years, the concert also journeys back to the early days of Doctor Who and the groundbreaking work of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.

Featuring special guests from the series, big screens and a host of monsters ready to invade the Royal Albert Hall, this is not the year to be exterminated!

There will be one interval

The program will be live on BBC Radio 3 and available for 7 days after on the iPlayer (even if you aren't in the UK) and also on the TuneIn app on your tablet/smartphone.
    Should be fun :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

I've seen a couple of these on TV. Is it radio only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

brianon wrote: »
    I've seen a couple of these on TV. Is it radio only ?
    It's being recorded for a television broadcast later in the year. Probably in the Autumn or close to the anniversary or Christmas.
    So just to reiterate, the program will be streamed live tomorrow (Saturday) night from 7:30 on BBC Radio 3, us Irish can listen in via the website bbc.co.uk/radio3, the TuneIn app on your smartphone or tablet, via your satellite provider, Sky customers can tune in Radio 3 using this frequency 10.788, V, 22000, 5/6 and of course your FM radios if you live in or close enough to the North. Because it's a radio program, we will be allowed access to the iPlayer recording for 7 days after broadcast via the BBC Radio 3 website.
    One way or another it's a little bit of new Doctor Who material so give it a listen and hopefully enjoy. :)

One other thing that might be cool about it, since it's going to be getting the attention of Doctor Who fans around the world.
    Maybe they'll announce who the 12th Doctor is going to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Definitely a must-listen, the previous two were both brilliant, I'm sure this will be more of the same

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

flazio wrote: »
    Well, I enjoyed that. :) ...

Likewise :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I am definitely going to miss Smith; see it's stuff like this that the new actor has to be good at & Matt Smith has always been such a good sport :) (Also, Jenna Louise Coleman is looking rather nice in that black dress :D)

Looks like this will be shown on BBC on 26th Aug.
    http://www.combom.co.uk/2013/08/doctor-who-prom-26th-august-bbc-one.html

Showing today (Monday 26th) on BBc One at 4pm. It's ben used as a Bank Holiday filler over there.

As in 2 minutes from now :)
    I've had it set to record on BBC HD for 6 days now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Watching it now! I wish I could go. Maybe next year I'll try!

• Advertisement

I wonder how difficult it would be to get tickets. My daughter would love to go.

Proms are only done once every 2 years it would appear so I reckon it would be a wait and yes the tickets are hard to come by for the seats. You queue on the morning to buy the standing pit tickets but for this one you have to be really early.
    I do believe there are plans for a Symphony Spectacular series but unfortunately that's down in Australia and New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Its repeated again today, must have a look, as i missed it the last time,

Doctor Who at the Proms 2010 Extended
    (Entertainment)

Time - 13:05 to 14:25 (1 hour and 20 minutes long).
    When - Sunday 17th November on Watch HD

Duration: 1 hour, 15 minutes
    Celebrating the 50th anniversary of the iconic and much-loved BBC series, this special event at the Royal Albert Hall features Murray Gold's popular music for the show, accompanied by specially edited sequences from the Doctor's most recent adventures.
    Hosted by the Doctor's friends, Madame Vastra and Strax, the concert also includes a look back at 'classic' Doctor Who series and the music created by the legendary BBC Radiophonic Workshop. Featuring special guest appearances by Matt Smith, Jenna Coleman, Peter Davison and Carole Ann Ford, who played the Doctor's first companion and granddaughter Susan Foreman. Plus, the Doctor and Clara drop in to join in the fun.
    Performed by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, the London Philharmonic Choir, with soloists Elin Manahan Thomas, Allan Clayton and Kerry Ingram.

Next on

Thursday 19:00 BBC Three

Doctor Who at the Proms - BBC Three, 19:00 p01k0q27.jpg
    Celebrating the 50th anniversary of the iconic and much-loved BBC series, this special event at the Royal Albert Hall features Murray Gold's popular music for the show, accompanied by specially edited sequences from the Doctor's most recent adventures.

A treat for music loving sci-fi fans as Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill bring us highlights from the Doctor Who Prom at the Royal Albert Hall.
    (Widescreen, High Definition)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0394dg0

Doctor Who at the Proms Encore - BBC Red Button, 20:15 p01csg9g.jpg
    Now, in conjunction with BBC Three’s screening of ‘Doctor Who at the Proms’, Red Button offers fans the chance to see previously unscreened highlights from the concerts.
    With appearances by Matt Smith, Jenna Coleman, Madame Vastra and Strax, this Red Button special features three pieces by Doctor Who’s resident Maestro Murray Gold - The Companions Suite (Rose, Martha, Donna & Amy), The Final Chapter of Amelia Pond (from The Angels Take Manhattan) and Vale Decem (a tribute to the 11 Doctors).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I really enjoyed that, worth waiting for :)

Advertisement