Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC freezing on Game load and Video playback

Options
  • 11-07-2013 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

System :P5N-D SLI , Q6600 , 8Gig DDR2 , GTX570 Ti , 120SSD and 2x500GB
    OS Win7 64bit Ultimate

Issue Bit of strange one.
    System boots every time with out issue. I can load BF3 and play , I can load Red Faction and play.
    But I can only play Video File for about 5min before system freezes , it does not blue screen just freezes and have to hold in the power button to Restart it.

Found the issue first trying to load bloodbowl , it doesn't even go past the screen splash and then I have to reboot.so i can load some games and not others

Pretty much stripped the system back to just 1 stick of Ram , Removed the OC on the cpu , disconnected the 500gig Drives , Temps all seem fine even in this weather nothing over 45deg , I have rolled back Video Drivers . Kinda stumped.

Last time it Ran properly was last Friday night for about 2hours of BF3 . And I have not changed anything on it or installed anything .Had not used it until last night so definitely nothing could have changed.

left with GFX card or SSD been the issue??

anyone seen anything similar, and can point me in the right direction.

edit: forgot to included , no malware found or anything like that .

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Joeface wrote: »
    System :P5N-D SLI , Q6600 , 8Gig DDR2 , GTX570 Ti , 120SSD and 2x500GB
    OS Win7 64bit Ultimate

Issue Bit of strange one.
    System boots every time with out issue. I can load BF3 and play , I can load Red Faction and play.
    But I can only play Video File for about 5min before system freezes , it does not blue screen just freezes and have to hold in the power button to Restart it.

Found the issue first trying to load bloodbowl , it doesn't even go past the screen splash and then I have to reboot.so i can load some games and not others

Pretty much stripped the system back to just 1 stick of Ram , Removed the OC on the cpu , disconnected the 500gig Drives , Temps all seem fine even in this weather nothing over 45deg , I have rolled back Video Drivers . Kinda stumped.

Last time it Ran properly was last Friday night for about 2hours of BF3 . And I have not changed anything on it or installed anything .Had not used it until last night so definitely nothing could have changed.

left with GFX card or SSD been the issue??

anyone seen anything similar, and can point me in the right direction.

edit: forgot to included , no malware found or anything like that .

Check your CPU is not overheating, look at the heatsink/fan, is it clogged up with dirt? Had similar issues to this using the stock Intel heatsink and this was the root cause

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Joeface

Hi Nick thanks for the reply

Not using a stock heatsink and Temps do seem fine, not spiking or anything . have sat at the in the bios with it system on and just watched ,. stays below 40 at idle . in windows it increases slightly and in game its about 55-60degs

seems rather strange that it played Friday night , didn't use it for a few days and it didn't work last night or this morning

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Joeface wrote: »
    Hi Nick thanks for the reply

Not using a stock heatsink and Temps do seem fine, not spiking or anything . have sat at the in the bios with it system on and just watched ,. stays below 40 at idle . in windows it increases slightly and in game its about 55-60degs

seems rather strange that it played Friday night , didn't use it for a few days and it didn't work last night or this morning

Yeah those temps sound ok, try using Driver Sweeper to completely remove the Nvidia drivers (do this after you uninstall fully via control panel), then download the latest stable driver from NVidia.com.
    Is the fan on the video card working, what kind of temps is it showing? Try running furmark for 10 mins, does the system lock up during it? (furmark should also display temps)

Nick

Small update .
    removed all nvidia drivers , ran driver sweeper , but never got as far as installing new drivers . system freezes , again No Blue screens
    so I took out GFX card , put in my old one . Same think happens . even in safe mode.

Took the SSD drive out , tested on laptop ..everything appears fine.

So I am down to CPU even though temps all look fine . Maybe psu must borrow one some where and test
    or last Mainboard is just ****ed .

Ram all tested and past....puzzled muchly

frak and yes........... SSD drive .

Running linux ubuntu of USB stick and its flawless , been on for a good while now , plays video/media no issue.

RMA time ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement