Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mower Problem

Options
  • 11-07-2013 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 10ft trailed mower, and it has broken the shaft coming up from the bed, holding on the disc, 2 times in a row now.

its the disk connected to the drive coming down from the gearbox.

broke just at the start of the thread of the shaft, same place 2 times.

any idea whats causing it?

need to rip the bed to replace :mad:

see picture of the part attached.

other than that, mower goin perfect!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 30 rocketjk

What kind of mower is it? how many acres did you get out of the last shaft replacement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

rocketjk wrote: »
    What kind of mower is it? how many acres did you get out of the last shaft replacement?

taarup 306, and about 5 acres!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a 10ft trailed mower, and it has broken the shaft coming up from the bed, holding on the disc, 2 times in a row now.

its the disk connected to the drive coming down from the gearbox.

broke just at the start of the thread of the shaft, same place 2 times.

any idea whats causing it?

need to rip the bed to replace :mad:

see picture of the part attached.

other than that, mower goin perfect!
    Have one here that did the same, id say if you replace the shaft and disc it should solve the problem.
    Pia having to take the bed apart to change the gear though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Not familar with the mower, but is this shaft the main shaft driving the mower. It looks like it has just sheared off. When it only cut 5 acres then you must be overloading it in some way. What HP tractor are you using? What Hp does the mower need? Is there a soft start on the PTO? Is there an over-run on the PTO shaft?

td5man wrote: »
    Have one here that did the same, id say if you replace the shaft and disc it should solve the problem.
    Pia having to take the bed apart to change the gear though.

which shaft are you talking about?

did that work for you?

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    Not familar with the mower, but is this shaft the main shaft driving the mower. It looks like it has just sheared off. When it only cut 5 acres then you must be overloading it in some way. What HP tractor are you using? What Hp does the mower need? Is there a soft start on the PTO? Is there an over-run on the PTO shaft?

soft start on the PTO, ya.

only a 100hp tractor, wasn't driving it too hard at all.

which shaft are you talking about?

did that work for you?

The gear and shaft that the threads have broken off (this is a kuhn part)
    The splines on the inside of the cutting disc are worn allowing the disc to wobble a small bit and break the nut off (this is a taarup part)
    I bought a kuhn mower instead of fixing mine again but the old taarup was a nicer mower to use.

td5man wrote: »
    The gear and shaft that the threads have broken off (this is a kuhn part)
    The splines on the inside of the cutting disc are worn allowing the disc to wobble a small bit and break the nut off (this is a taarup part)
    I bought a kuhn mower instead of fixing mine again but the old taarup was a nicer mower to use.

Would you have parts for the taarup 306?:rolleyes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭stanflt

i have a feeling your bed is damaged-maybe a cog broken and jamming every so often which is breaking the shaft

take off saucers which hold blades and then take the housing that comes up from the bed- you will be able to inspect gears

Would you have parts for the taarup 306?:rolleyes

I've a complete 307 i will sell you.
    Pm me your location and i might be able to point you in the right direction

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    i have a feeling your bed is damaged-maybe a cog broken and jamming every so often which is breaking the shaft

take off saucers which hold blades and then take the housing that comes up from the bed- you will be able to inspect gears

If only it was that easy, the housings have to be opened from the inside .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

You can check how 'true' a shaft is running with a dial gauge like this. This will pick up any wobble.
    Most engineering places would have one of them.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLm0sIKuw_hi1eNn-OGkbvH2l8Q91XfP7q_414_Le9pcSsudubqw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

pakalasa wrote: »
    You can check how 'true' a shaft is running with a dial gauge like this. This will pick up any wobble.
    Most engineering places would have one of them.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLm0sIKuw_hi1eNn-OGkbvH2l8Q91XfP7q_414_Le9pcSsudubqw

Need a nice V block as well, to roll the shaft on, in order to get a good reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

stanflt wrote: »

IMO I wouldn't say that's the problem,any gear jamming in the bed should not break a shaft holding the saucer.

I'd be looking at the timing,check that there is no interference between any saucers.Could the timing have been out after the first shaft break?

IMO I wouldn't say that's the problem,any gear jamming in the bed should not break a shaft holding the saucer.

I'd be looking at the timing,check that there is no interference between any saucers.Could the timing have been out after the first shaft break?

no interference between any of the saucers. checked that once we fitted the shaft the first time.

Advertisement