Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGCE in Scotland/UK

Options
  • 11-07-2013 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi

I'm currently considering doing the PGCE in Scotland rather than the H Dip at home due to the fact that the H Dip is two years at 9k while the PGCE, although also a 2 year commitment, is free to EU students and the second year is paid.

However, I'm just wondering is there any sort of maintenance support that can be received to help pay for housing etc while in Scotland? I don't think I'd qualify for a scholarship. I have an MA and teaching experience if that makes any difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cuerva

Hi I'm in the same situation as you at the moment, also trying to compare doing a HDip here or going to the UK, did you ever find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭goose1

Nope, teaching abroad this year and going to figure it out next year! Though from what I can gather, the UK definitely seems the best bet, especially as in Scotland you're guaranteed your first year teaching, unlike here where you have to secure subbing or whatever for a certain number of days to actually qualify!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 blue star

hi Guys

i studied the primary PGCE in london 2011-2012 and i would recommend it. you get much more experience and i did my probation year over there this year. back home in ireland now to complete the irish requirement. i got a job from my very first school interview..there are more jobs over there. on of my friends over in ireland came out of college 3 years ago and still doesnt have her probation done. so i am in a better position as i have it done. \
    overall id recommend it. its a great experience aswell :):):):o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 banc

Hi bluestar... that sounds promising! What university did u study in may I ask? And did u find it good??

I went to Brunel in west London. Was great and there are loads of Irish over there so doesn't feel like you are away from home. Just started a learning support job and wouldn't have got it only I had my probation done. would recommend it. cause over here you could be waiting a few years. :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭goose1

Bluestar were you able to get any financial support for the course or did you fund yourself completely??

hey, no I had to fund it all myself. My course was £3300 in 2011. I think it has gone up now though?

Advertisement