Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri Club with kids program in South Dublin

Options
  • 11-07-2013 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Could anyone recommend a club that has a kids program for 10yr olds and up? We live in Stillorgan area. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

Pulse tri club have a training program for junior athletes. Training is once a month at the moment, usually in Phoenix Park or Westpark gym (Tallaght). I've sent you a pm with some contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

U gotta focus on the swimming at this stage. Even 10 years of age is leaving it late to be any 'good'.

Just gotta look at points needed to get onto age development squad to see how important swimming is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

U gotta focus on the swimming at this stage. Even 10 years of age is leaving it late to be any 'good'.

Just gotta look at points needed to get onto age development squad to see how important swimming is.

Would agree triathlon would be the last sport I'll be pushing my kids into (okay maybe second last after foxy boxy)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

tunney wrote: »
    Would agree triathlon would be the last sport I'll be pushing my kids into (okay maybe second last after foxy boxy)

I've been to a good few of the kids races and the emphasis is on participation ahead of competition. There's plenty of support for weaker swimmers, and it seems that any difficulties they may have encountered in the water are forgotten by the time they get to the run. The kids in general seem fairly oblivious to placings, times etc once the race is over, and, regardless of where they've come in the race, it's the successful completion of the challenge that fulfills them.

It's natural for kids to get interested in what mum or dad are interested in (until they reach a certain age, obviously :P), and I've found that encouraging that interest, and sharing it, only strengthens the parent-child relationship.

Having a chance of making the junior squad is not the only indicator of kids being suited to participate in triathlons. Fair enough, you encourage them to aim high, even if you know it isn't realistic, but just because they more than likely won't ever be high performance athletes is no reason not to give them the opportunity to try.

Advertisement