Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning a large tree

• 11-07-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    I've a large tree in my garden that needs pruning... Crown reduction by a third.
    It's about 60 foot high.. Pretty accessible.
    I had a quote of 500€ to have it reduced by a third.
    It's a days work for the tree surgeon.
    He will chip and remove all cuttings.
    Is this price way off the mark??
    I'm beginning to think its a bit on the high side
    Marty.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sounds reasonable enough to me.
    don't forget he's probably paying a king's ransom in insurance (which you're well within your rights to ask to see); i've heard a couple of near-horror stories about guys agreeing to take trees down for cheap, without a clue about what they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

sounds reasonable enough to me.
    don't forget he's probably paying a king's ransom in insurance (which you're well within your rights to ask to see); i've heard a couple of near-horror stories about guys agreeing to take trees down for cheap, without a clue about what they're doing.

I agree with magicbastarder price is spot on don't try and get a bargain with something as dangerous as tree work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Hi there
    I've a large tree in my garden that needs pruning... Crown reduction by a third.
    It's about 60 foot high.. Pretty accessible.
    I had a quote of 500€ to have it reduced by a third.
    It's a days work for the tree surgeon.
    He will chip and remove all cuttings.
    Is this price way off the mark??
    I'm beginning to think its a bit on the high side
    Marty.

500 euro is about the norm from a professional tree surgeon/arborist.

Theres alot of work involved also everything has to be done in as safe and secure a way as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Once you sart crown reduction there are a lot of continuing hazard and maintainance issues.

why are you getting this work done? Type of tree and picture of site would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

It has become too big for the site.
    Its blocking light and shedding a heap of leaves etc on neighbouring gardens.
    If it fell in high winds i guess it could do a bit of damage to neighbouring sheds.
    thats my main concern so im guessing crown reduction will reduce the chances of that happening.
    I dont have a recent pic.

Its the only tree gay in the village tree in the garden so id like to keep it while the kids are young at least...they enjoy it and it brings wildlife to the garden.
    Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

What type of tree is it, can you not take a phone photo of it and its surroundings and post here.

There is no right to light in Ireland, and heaps of leaves is only once a year.

The tree provides shade on hot days and shelter on rainy days as well as shelter from winds that suck heat out of the house, apart from the ecological benefits.

If the tree is too large for the site then removal may be a better long term option, as crown reduction will have to be followed up by removal of regrowth at least every 3 years or so as the junctions between the old tree and the new growth will not be "safe" to allow to grow on. the tree will respond to the reduction by shooting all over the place trying to rebalance its roots with its shoots. With in 3 years it could be back to where it was but be more dangerous due to the weak joins.

As regards the tree falling has it basal damage/rot, recent root damage anywhere.

This is why you need the advice of an qualified arbourist as against a tree surgeon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Oldtree if u PM me an email address i can send you some pics.
    I dont want to make the situatuion worse/less safe.
    Neighbour was moaning about leaves last year...light improvement would benefit ourselves more than anyone else.
    I dont know what kind of tree it is...(im sure youll know tho when u see the pics!!)
    Marty

Advertisement