Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian scammers!!!

• 11-07-2013 12:29pm

Until about four weeks ago when I upgraded to Eircom's eFibre I had only read/heard about this crap. The first call was from a very amiable fellow. I have caller ID and knew from the readout and the Indian drawl that there was summat dodgy so I hung up.

Got another half an hour ago. He was so panicked I thought he was stuck in a burning building. Apparently there is a problem with my router creating lots of errors and slowing down the gigabytes of my broadband! :D ****ing classic :D

When he wanted me to run the Event Viewer I got bored and hung up and went back to the sun. Eircom are partially responsible for this crap since they started using all these Indians for their CS.

Eircom gave me a number to ring, the National Consumer Agency, and their sage advice was to hang up on these blighters! :rolleyes: I was trying to help them by telling them it must have something to do with me getting eFibre but she sounded bored.

I have the latest blighter's number on my caller ID.....anything I can do to stop these c*nts? (I'm not ringing India to abuse them!) :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Just ignore them, or drag out the call for as long as possible taking the piss out of them. eircom always ring from blocked numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭BowWow

I always say "I'm sorry, I don't understand your call as I don't have a computer" - they then hang up immeadiately.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 iceberger

This happened me couple years back when I bought a Dell PC from Dell.ie. It was only after buying the PC that these calls started.

My wife answered most and trolled them alot. I think they honestly believe they are there to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

When my dad gets calls from TeleMarketing he says he'll only do surveys if a cheque is sent out to his house and he names a price. :D

Just troll them or make a recording and leave the telephone by a speaker. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

BowWow wrote: »
    I always say "I'm sorry, I don't understand your call as I don't have a computer" - they then hang up immeadiately.....
    My wife did the same this week when they called - twice - and hung up immediately as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If you really want to confuse them say "I don't have a phone".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,263 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Until about four weeks ago when I upgraded to Eircom's eFibre I had only read/heard about this crap. The first call was from a very amiable fellow. I have caller ID and knew from the readout and the Indian drawl that there was summat dodgy so I hung up.

Got another half an hour ago. He was so panicked I thought he was stuck in a burning building. Apparently there is a problem with my router creating lots of errors and slowing down the gigabytes of my broadband! :D ****ing classic :D

When he wanted me to run the Event Viewer I got bored and hung up and went back to the sun. Eircom are partially responsible for this crap since they started using all these Indians for their CS.

Eircom gave me a number to ring, the National Consumer Agency, and their sage advice was to hang up on these blighters! :rolleyes: I was trying to help them by telling them it must have something to do with me getting eFibre but she sounded bored.

I have the latest blighter's number on my caller ID.....anything I can do to stop these c*nts? (I'm not ringing India to abuse them!) :)

I do not have fibre yet and I started getting these calls about two years ago. I have Eircom broadband for about 10 years so I don't think your fibre upgrade is the reason for the calls. Nor the fact that Eircom employ some Indians. These calls are happening worldwide. The advice you got from the NCA was indeed sage, just hang up and nothing bad will happen.

Otherwise if you have time on your hands you can waste their time. There are plenty of videos on You Tube showing how to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

Eircom are partially responsible for this crap since they started using all these Indians for their CS.

thats a nice measured piece of logical deduction there :rolleyes:

Been getting these for a while and dont have eircom.

Most of these types of scams involve getting a phone book and ringing all the numbers and playing the odds that most people will have what you are basing the call on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭layviae

i read somewhere ages ago of a man who strung them along for ages,
    when they called he first told them he had to turn on the pc, put the phone down for 5mins while he made a cup of tea, next he said that it was turned on and asked what to do, they told him to run some programme, he asked how to do it, he got them to dumb it down so much that they had to explain how to press the start button,
    it went something like this
    him: wheres the start button
    operator: on the left hand side
    him: i cant see it what does it look like
    operator: its round and has a windows symbol
    him: all i see is the apple
    they hung up and he hasnt got a call since

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭MonkeyDoo

I really don't like giving details abroad to India. Why can't they hire local Irish people. It's giving Eircom a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭mossie

I have had may of these calls but one in particular stands out in my memory.

An Indian guy called saying he was from techbuddha.com and was calling about my "windows Xp, vista or macintosh computer", which apparently I had registered with them, as there was a problem with it. When I asked him to be more specific about my computer type, saying he should know what type of OS I had if I really had registered, he got very defensive saying I should look at their website if I didn't believe him. There is a very professional looking website at this address but of course when I put techbuddha into google I get a long list of scam warnings, so I told him this and hung up. The surprise was he actually called back straight away and challenged me to "prove it is a scam, just look at our website, it's real". I pointed out that a website proves nothing, and that it was up to him to prove it was genuine, not up to me to prove it was not and hung up again. He called back again three or four more times, but each time I answered and hung up immediately and in the end he stopped.

I haven't had any more calls from this lot but they certainly seemed more professional, and persistent that the average. It would certainly be easy to be taken in if you were less than cautious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

So whats the chatch? What are these callers after? Are they looking for monney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

The want you to download malware and also get your CC details if they can.

I got into a great expletive slagging match with the last one that called a few weeks ago.

#Fcuk off you fcuking scamming bastard!!

#No, Fcuk you, you son of a mother fcuking whore

#Kiss my hairy Irish ass you Bangalore Bollix

etc etc

This went on for about a minute till he hung up. Imagine his expletive laden responses in the voice of Apu from the simpsons and you'll understand why I ended up rolling around on the floor laughing my ass off. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

I once got call like this aswell, and we spent 15 mins to look Windows Start button from my computer, after 15 mins i asked, if my linux os really has this kind of button? That was end of that call.. :) never heard from them after that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

When the call,answer with "Hello 911, what is your emergency?". :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Enough of this crap,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement