Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite biking roads

• 11-07-2013 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd start a thread about peoples favourite biking roads in Ireland and even beyond.

Especially with this fine weather I find myself clocking up way more miles just pleasure riding for the sake of it than actually doing A to B journeys.

The thing that strikes me about Dublin though is there is an infinite amount of speed bumps around the place that often ruin what would otherwise be a lovely biking road, you know the type I mean, wide with long sweeping bends that don't require you to take off too much speed.

I remember the Strawberry Beds used to be packed with bikers but since they installed about 15 speed bumps along the 4km stretch from the Phoenix Park to Lucan there seems to be a lot less bikers using it for pleasure purposes.

For my local ride outs I can recommend the roads around the back of the airport runway for a ride, St Margarets is the name of the area. They are mainly straight road with few bends but its still a nice ride often with more cyclists and bikers than cars. The odd time you're riding along parallel with the run way and a plane comes in to land right beside you, I always give the passengers a wave for the craic. I also love doing a Malahide-Portmarnock coastal trip and then heading up the top of Howth Summit before dropping back down into Sutton. The road on the descent is beautiful biking territory as it has the combination of being wide, nice long bends and some top class scenery to your left.

A ride through the hills of Killiney and Dalkey is also nice though the roads are quite narrow so you gotta take it slowly enough.

So what roads do you most enjoy riding for pleasure ? It would be great for this thread to turn into a resource for good biking roads that we can all share and discover. And if people want to track their rides on Google Maps and post here then all the better=)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Dungarvan to Tramore or vice-versa via the Coast Road! Savage scenery along the route too!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

I like the trip from sandycove to monsktown and then onto the rock road and along the sea by sandymout's coast road into pearse street. Chosen route into town for me...

Bray to Britas Bay is nice too on the coast road through greystones and glenroe etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

N52 from deep in midlands all the way up to Ardee...SAVAGE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭prunudo

The road from Rathnew to Arklow via Rathdrum and Woodenbridge. R752 & R747
    Also the back road from Gorey to Wexford town R741 and the N52 as was mentioned.
    I'll probably think of more as the day goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'm going to state the obvious, but the road from St Johns up to Ramsay (Isle of Man).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

N59 from letterfrack to wesport is a nice run, savage scenery and lots of scenery with the odd suicidal shhep thrown in for good measure!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

As wondaboy said the N52 kells to ardee road is great, loads of twistys on it

Also love the road from Laragh down to Kilmac when theres no cyclists on it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    As wondaboy said the N52 kells to ardee road is great, loads of twistys on it

Also love the road from Laragh down to Kilmac when theres no cyclists on it:rolleyes:

The regular bit we do from Kells to Ardee Darren is only the last leg of that run...last weekend a few of us done it from Mullingar and its an absolute belter or a road.

That road actually starts near Tullamore or there abouts. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

great thread. probably quite boring for most but the roads around blessington are nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

serious3 wrote: »
    N59 from letterfrack to wesport is a nice run, savage scenery and lots of scenery with the odd suicidal shhep thrown in for good measure!

I travel the N59 from Letterfrack to Leenane and then down to Maam Cross before heading to Galway, has to be the best bit of road going. Apart from maybe North Clare

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement
Advertisement