Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Watches

• 11-07-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a cheap Garmin watch. I want a Garmin and only a Garmin, so please no advice on other brands. I already have a Garmin HR Strap so don't require the strap, but it must have ANT+ technology to pick up my strap. It must be able to connect to Garmin connect, either cable or wireless, I don't care.

I already use Garmin Connect for my cycling, and have a Garmin Edge 500 for cycling and want to keep all my activities in one place. I currently use the edge for running as I do very little, but figure I might just treat myself to a watch which I can use for running and even football.

I was looking at the forerunner FR70 which seems to come with the premium HR strap for €139 against the FR110 for €149 which comes with no strap (€199 with basic strap). One would think that the FR110 would be a much better watch, but reading the specs, it seems the FR70 has more features and looks the better job. Does anyone know what makes the FR110 much more expensive?

The FR10, at €129 (no strap, so theoretically a more expensive watch than the FR70) but I can't tell if it is ANT+ compatible (I don't think so), and according to Garmin website, their simplest GPS watch. So what makes this more expensive than the FR70? It doesn't appear to be any better.

Does anyone know if or where I could get a FR70 without the HR strap to bring the price down.

I'm also open to working, clean second hand options, not hung up on the models above, once it does what I'm asking and cheaper the better

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I just noticed according to the Grmin website, the FR 70 is not GPS enabled??????

How does it track you run so?

Notice for about the same kind of money, €140ish I can get a reconditioned FR410 on ebay. Seems like a great deal.

any opinions on this would be appreciated thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

All Garmins are ANT compatible, in fact Garmin invented ANT.
    The non-GPS watches use a foot pod - personally I would not bother.

It depends what you need the watch for, do you want something that includes intervals etc?

€140 for a 410 is a good deal. Personally I use the 310 which is clunkier but my favourite Garmin because of the 20 hrs battery. Your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It depends what you need the watch for, do you want something that includes intervals etc?

€140 for a 410 is a good deal. Personally I use the 310 which is clunkier but my favourite Garmin because of the 20 hrs battery. Your choice.

The garmin 10 doesn't work with ANT, I don't think it does anyway.

Am I right in saying a 410 is better than a 310? What would the differences be?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

stevieob wrote: »
    Notice for about the same kind of money, €140ish I can get a reconditioned FR410 on ebay. Seems like a great deal.

any opinions on this would be appreciated thanks

keep an eye on amazon, the 410 price fluxuates all over the place on it, i picked up a new 410 for about that money there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The garmin 10 doesn't work with ANT, I don't think it does anyway.

You're right the FR10 does not have any ANT+ compatability. It is just a GPS tracker, no option of heart rate or footpods, bike sensors etc.

410 is more of a runners watch while the 310 is specifically aimed at multisports.

Having said that there is very little in the difference from a functionality but just a little bit more options in the 310 (AFAIK) in regard bike training ie interval sessions for the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Small correction, but Dynastream created ANT+, and were later acquired by Garmin and still operate as a subsidiary.
    I would suggest that the 310 is far superior to the 410 and if you have a choice between the two, you should go for the 310. Longer battery life, water-proof, multi-sport, bigger display (more data fields), per-second recording, bread-crumb trails and hard buttons (no bezel control).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

My vote is 410. Have it myself. Love the virtual pacer, custom screens, and creating intervals/workouts.

viperlogic wrote: »
    My vote is 410. Have it myself. Love the virtual pacer, custom screens, and creating intervals/workouts.
    All available on the 310xt (and more!). Specifically: more battery, more screen, more data fields, more waterproofing, more multi-sport, and more orange!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

All available on the 310xt (and more!). Specifically: more battery, more screen, more data fields, more waterproofing, more multi-sport, and more orange!

Got it on offer with premium HRM for €120 on Amazon so that did it for me. 310 was alot more exp and you can get away wearing the 410 as a daily if needed

viperlogic wrote: »
    Got it on offer with premium HRM for €120 on Amazon so that did it for me. 310 was alot more exp and you can get away wearing the 410 as a daily if needed
    That's true! Just talking about the functionality. Of course, functionality is irrelevant if you don't use it.

i have a 410 and i'd argue the wearing it daily bit, personally it's way too high to wear as a watch.

op, would you consider second hand? i have a 410 in perfect nick. i'm considering going to a 310xt as i'm doing tris and the ability to switch from cycling to run on the fly with it would be very handy, plus the swimming aspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

My 405 is near the end of its life, (had it since early 2009). Strap has broken twice, and its held together with super glue at the moment.

Debating between the 410 with HRM and the 610. In terms of the extra expense for the 610, if i get 4 1/2 and hundreds of runs, then its money well spent.

mossym wrote: »
    op, would you consider second hand? i have a 410 in perfect nick. i'm considering going to a 310xt as i'm doing tris and the ability to switch from cycling to run on the fly with it would be very handy, plus the swimming aspect.

Hi mossym

yes I would definately consider second hand if the price is right? As I previously mentioned, I don't need the HRM as I already have one. What kind of money are you looking for and where are you based?

would need to get around the 100 euros to make it worth my while to upgrade.

no bother if that's outside the price range, but they've gone for that in the past here

i'm down in killaloe, near limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Greenview

Excellent review site here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

Excellent price comparison site here: http://ww.satnav-discounts.co.uk/gps-watches/garmin-forerunner-110.htm#prices (check the various tabs for other models)

mossym wrote: »
    would need to get around the 100 euros to make it worth my while to upgrade.

no bother if that's outside the price range, but they've gone for that in the past here

i'm down in killaloe, near limerick

cheers for the offer

might be a bit steep for second hand when i can get new for only 30 bucks more.

i'll have a think about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

• Advertisement

cheers for the offer

might be a bit steep for second hand when i can get new for only 30 bucks more.

i'll have a think about it

the 410 is for sale around 130/40 GBP, (as it is on the link ROM provided when you look at hte including vat price), so the saving is more than 30 euros when you convert to euro prices. theres an older 405 in the tri forum for the same price, so i reckon the price is fair.

best of luck with the hunt, the website ROM listed to is a good one for garmins too

Advertisement