Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House contents need to be documented?

Options
  • 11-07-2013 1:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

The reason i am asking sooo many questions is i've been living in the same place for 10 years and outta touch on how this renting malarky works now.....

The new gaf, the furniture etc. - do me and the LL go through everything and write down contents etc?

Cause he has a LCD tv in there i dont need (65 incher thank you)...and other bits and bobs i'd want taken away.

So how are things done these days :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Make an inventory list. There should be a space for it on the lease agreement. Agree the condition the furniture is in ie is it brand new/tatty as f***? You and LL initial the inventory list.
    Ideally take photographs of everything and store them somewhere safe in case of any disputes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You can ask to have furniture and fittings taken away, but just be aware that there is nothing to say that the landlord has to oblige your request. If they dont have storage facilities then they may refuse to remove it, or else charge you for storing it.

Go through every room, write down absolutely everything in each room and the condition of everything including the walls, ceilings, fitting, carpets. Document every issue and make sure that everything is signed by the landlord. Take as many pictures as you can of every inch of the property (with a current newspaper in view if possible for date verification). It may be overboard, but its your deposit that you are protecting.

Advertisement