Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford (SKT)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

detones wrote: »
    Thanks bud, thats great. However 2400m of Climbing, sufferfest, and i plan to drive up and down from Dublin on the day, I better book monday off work ;-)

I found RWGPS to be a good bit out elevation-wise in the past. Not sure if it has improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I found RWGPS to be a good bit out elevation-wise in the past. Not sure if it has improved.

Ridewithgps overstates the elevation by 20 - 25% imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

I hope that’s true, so only a measly 2000m of climbing. I'm sure I’m gonna get around ok, I just know its gonna hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

From Met.ie

"SUNDAY: Another fresh day with sunny spells and showers across the country; the north and northwest seeing the majority of these; very scattered elsewhere. Rather breezy in a fresh westerly breezes. Highest temperatures 16 to 19 degrees Celsius; values at their lowest under those blustery showers mainly occurring though part of Ulster and north Connacht."

Looks ok, lets hope it stays dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭touts

detones wrote: »
    From Met.ie

"SUNDAY: Another fresh day with sunny spells and showers across the country; the north and northwest seeing the majority of these; very scattered elsewhere. Rather breezy in a fresh westerly breezes. Highest temperatures 16 to 19 degrees Celsius; values at their lowest under those blustery showers mainly occurring though part of Ulster and north Connacht."

Looks ok, lets hope it stays dry.

According to MT over on the weather forecast thread
    SUNDAY ... Partly cloudy, isolated showers, breezy (WNW 30-50 km/hr) with morning lows 8-10 C and highs 20-22 C.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=203

That's a chilly enough start in the morning but getting quite warm later on so plan accordingly. A lot of people will turn up with jackets that will kill them a couple of hours later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

bazermc wrote: »

Eh? No it's not. I think that route is a few years old.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is a thread for discussing the event. The last couple of pages were full of requests/offers for entries - I've deleted them.

If you want an entry or have one to offer, start a thread in the Cycling Adverts sub-forum, under the rules set out there (all discussion in-thread, no phone numbers etc), bearing in mind the zero tolerance policy for breaking the rules in that sub-forum

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

noby wrote: »

Ok do you have this years one? Is it much different to a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye, no Seskin and goes over Tickinor instead. beyond that it's the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye, no Seskin and goes over Tickinor instead. beyond that it's the same.

...except that is the 160km route, and the query was about the 100km route. Here it is from the official site.
    http://www.theseankellytour.com/media/itsafeeling/media/topattractions/getoutthere/skthomepage/routes/SKT%20100k%20Map%202013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

noby wrote: »

The actual route: http://www.mapmyride.com/ie/dungarvan-m/sean-kelly-heritage-100km-route-120318809

That seems to understate the climbing. My Garmin reported 860m of climbing on that route last year. The direction is reversed this year but since the start and finish are at the same point, that figure will be the same.

Sorry, didn't intend on being so abrupt. I went off searching for the route but got sidetracked!

Here is one the right way round for this year:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/264857719

JMcL wrote: »

That seems to understate the climbing. My Garmin reported 860m of climbing on that route last year. The direction is reversed this year but since the start and finish are at the same point, that figure will be the same.

I was only using my phone, but on strava it shows 890m of elevation for the same route alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Is there any showers available for afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Last minute training

dmy1rk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    ...except that is the 160km route, and the query was about the 100km route. Here it is from the official site.
    http://www.theseankellytour.com/media/itsafeeling/media/topattractions/getoutthere/skthomepage/routes/SKT%20100k%20Map%202013.jpg

The old 90km route along the coast from 2010 was replaced by that one linked there, if he was comparing those two then its all change! serves me right for not reading the post properly!

Is there any showers available for afterwards

Yep, showers in the sports centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hope Everyone participating in Sean Kelly tour of Waterford this week-end has a Great Cycle!
    Safe Peddling out there & Hope you all Have Fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Ok, so I've picked up the Jersey and number, my gear is packed and ready to go, the tyres are pumped. It feels like I should be going for a pint now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

The jerseys are really nice, look race cut and decent quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Jersey, carbs, check, now just time for a couple cognacs

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭leecurlywurly

Heading there now to pick up our packs. Can someone confirm where the sports centre is exactly as cant find it on Google maps? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Head for Clonea road, there should be plenty of signs from there. The centre itself is right on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Heading there now to pick up our packs. Can someone confirm where the sports centre is exactly as cant find it on Google maps? Thanks

https://maps.google.com/?ll=52.08511,-7.617087&spn=0.003468,0.020943&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.085107,-7.621163&panoid=w99PjPC3bqj4cp4vntGp7g&cbp=11,261.79,,0,0

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Hi all

Drving from Dublin for this, doing the 160k - what time would people recommend to leave at, google maps has drive to dungarvan at 2hrs, check in opens 6:30 so thinking to get checked in, find parking and set up for 8am start, probably want to be leaving 4:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Bulmers wrote: »
    Hi all

Drving from Dublin for this, doing the 160k - what time would people recommend to leave at, google maps has drive to dungarvan at 2hrs, check in opens 6:30 so thinking to get checked in, find parking and set up for 8am start, probably want to be leaving 4:30?

Park on the way into the town and cycle to the start. you'll have no problem with parking arriving after 7...

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Head for Clonea road, there should be plenty of signs from there. The centre itself is right on the beach.

Hope this wasn't deliberate misinformation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Just back home after this. Unreal some event. Up to the second water stop on the 100 I was flying it. The last 15 or 20 km I really suffered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Just back home after this. Unreal some event. Up to the second water stop on the 100 I was flying it. The last 15 or 20 km I really suffered.

Yeah the wind was a pain in the arse for the last 30k or so. Meself and a couple of lads from up the West (I think) could only laugh at it. No matter which direction we were headed it blew against us. Great organisation though.

Advertisement