Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford (SKT)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

It's the first sportive I've been on that had tacks strewn on the road though as sabotage. I was lucky but one of our lads got a flat. We even saw the culprit after he nearly took us out going up the mama road or whatever it's called. He then nearly got us on the way back down after completing his mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Great day. Exhausted but thoroughly enjoyed it. Weather was spot on and thankfully no mishaps. 6hrs and 20 mins rolling time for the 160km and very happy with that.

Highlights: all the excellent volunteers, somehow making it up Mahon Falls especially the last bit, meeting the man himself and grabbing a snap with him too (gent), the general camaraderie and social character shown by all.

I'm sure some will have complaints over food choices etc. but I'm not really picky when it comes to people feeding me so it was fine for me.

Well done to all involved. Sleeping will not be a problem tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

ashleey wrote: »
    It's the first sportive I've been on that had tacks strewn on the road though as sabotage. I was lucky but one of our lads got a flat. We even saw the culprit after he nearly took us out going up the mama road or whatever it's called. He then nearly got us on the way back down after completing his mission.

Yeah, this was fairly shocking, I fell victim to this scumbag's tacks (actually I think it was a box of screws) on the lower descent off the Mama Rd, and that cost me a few minutes. Another guy punctured just as I got going and it was him who noticed the tacks. Lots of guys got through unscathed though.

Nothing could spoil the day though, fantastic support from the crew at each stop and the wonderful display of enthusiasm from people living along the route make this a really special day.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

Have to say this was the toughest 160k event, for me anyway, those climbs really and truly knocked the stuffing out of me, but as usual the an post guys did a great job organising the whole thing, huge thanks to the volunteers at the food stops and the water stops too.

Great atmosphere all day long, great to see the people along the route clapping and cheering us on, even got a high five from someone at the side of the road :-)

Spotted two boards jerseys side by side too.

Managed to avoid the tacks/screws on the road thankfully but I saw 3 lads at the side of the road who fell foul of the so and so who did it.
    Saw a girl hit the bales of hay on the way down from Mahon falls so I hope she is ok, people were running over to her as I passed.

The legs are in tatters now but well worth it, I'll be back next year for definite, gotta beat 6hrs 6mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Nice event, nice day. Stayed fresh throughout the 100 to my own amazement

Saw a pink boards jersey. Thanks volunteers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Yeah, this was fairly shocking, I fell victim to this scumbag's tacks (actually I think it was a box of screws) on the lower descent off the Mama Rd, and that cost me a few minutes. Another guy punctured just as I got going and it was him who noticed the tacks. Lots of guys got through unscathed though.

Nothing could spoil the day though, fantastic support from the crew at each stop and the wonderful display of enthusiasm from people living along the route make this a really special day.

Yes it was. I stopped for a few minutes because I knew l a d to see stopped behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

A wonderful 100 Km, conditions were superb, a breezy head wind for the last 20 Km which made it testing, marshalling and food stops were top notch, when I saw the Queue at the main food stop my heart sank but they kept things moving so there was no delays.
    Thanks to everyone who gave their time and energy in organizing this terrific event and see you all next year.
    It's a shame to read about the Thumb Tacks sabotage on the 160, some people really need to get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

Had a blast today. 5.25 rolling time and over 30km/h average (rolling) so happy out with that. Since last year I've lost ~8kg, joined a club (Tiernans) and done a season of A4 racing so glad to beat my times on all the climbs from last year by minutes. Happy out. Might have a tasty beverage...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Fantastic event, volunteers were immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Really enjoyed that. Great organisation and marshalling. SK himself was around a lot.

I was one of the two side by side boardsies. Not sure if the other was AlanUCC or not - all yo ufast thin young lads look the same to me (even if only one of you had a beard!) I also spotted another boardsie with a puncture on Tickinor and one other with just the bib shorts (can't remember name sorry). Met Coastwatch and the Noble Nudge too.

6:18 rolling for 163km on the dot and 2275m (corrected). Can't really get down the stairs but a few glasses of red should help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

What a hard day in the saddle. Never done the 160 before and it was a killer. Garmin died at the start of mahon falls. Prob better that it did because that was one tough fecker of a climb. Really knocked the stuffing out of me.

All the way around I said that I'd never again do it but sitting here with the feet up I'll have to do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Some challenge for me today. I struggled more than ever on a sportive due to fatigued legs, or for whatever reason I don't know, but enjoyed the day still. I can't believe I was able to cycle home last year after completing the challenge, but would strongly refuse to do it this year.

Excellent Event, well organised and volunteered. Thanks to all people involved including The Man Himself :).

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Tough day but fun.

Now I understand why I saw three people punctured on the descent from Mam and why I saw the volunteers sweeping the road. Was puzzled at the time. Shame to hear about the tacks. Some people are morons.

Had a a good day though. Have done tougher sportives but not many. Mahon Falls is tough. Good crowd. Floored it (so to speak) in on the last 20km after the descent from Mam with the aid of some strong riders. Finished at ten to four or so.

CptMackey wrote: »
    What a hard day in the saddle. Never done the 160 before and it was a killer. Garmin died at the start of mahon falls.

Assuming you have an Edge, if you get the .fit file from someone who was with you, you can upload it to your pages (if you do that sort of thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭touts

ashleey wrote: »

There were some assholes in cars also. One bastard came up from behind blowing his horn to clear the way. Then when he got past our group he cut in and slammed on the brakes. It was luck and quick reactions that avoided a pile up. But at the same time lots of cyclists seemed to forget that they were open roads. I saw lots of lads go around bends on narrow country roads on the wrong side of the road with no idea what was coming against them around the bend.

But that is all stuff that was down to individuals and not the organisers. The whole day was really well run. Every junction was marshalled. The queues for food were scarcely long to look at but they actually moved very fast once you got in them. They had some food (bananas and flapjacks) at each stop so you didnt have to stuff yourself at Knockanore (100k). But if you did want to stuff yourself at Knockanore and again at the end you certainly could have from the spread available. Well done to all involved. If every other sportive was half as well run cycling would be the main sport on this island.

Edit: Oh yea and one last thing. It was great how people came out in some of the villages and townlands along the way to cheer on the cyclists. It really added to the day and was a nice pick me up when a little boost was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Sounds great but what kind of prick is motivated to put tacks on the road?! Someone says they spotted the culprit - was this a cyclist or what? Ritual public humiliation if not a good beating sounds called for . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Did the 160 also. I really enjoyed it very much. Got round in about 5:50 which was super for me, especially as all the talk about it being the toughest 160 of the summer made me think c 6:30-6:45 would be about the mark. It was tough for sure but I thought that Mahon Falls apart, it was actually very manageable. Mahon Falls is just a pig.

Great marshalling, food stops were super and as others have said, all the Mams and Dads bringing out the kiddies to wave and cheer was great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

pelevin wrote: »
    Sounds great but what kind of prick is motivated to put tacks on the road?! Someone says they spotted the culprit - was this a cyclist or what? Ritual public humiliation if not a good beating sounds called for . . .

Probably because some people don't like cyclists in general and find the numbers on the road a nuisance.

However I don't think local businesses or county council will be happy with that stunt given the event is worth 1.5 million to the local economy.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/thousands-make-tracks-in-waterford-for-sean-kelly-cycle-tour-1.1505146

So despite the issues the number of cyclists can bring the local area still gets a big benefit.

Overall its a shame it happened. Other than that Fair play to the organisers for matching their normal high standards. A very good day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Can't believe that about the tacks, what an absolute... Well, ya know. Could have caused serious accidents. I did see a lad sweeping the road alright but just thought he was a bit touched :)

Brilliant event I thought really enjoyed it (if that's the right word). Barely had enough left in the tank after Mahon Falls but somehow got through the rest. Will definitely try and aim to be there every year from now on... And to get those strava PRs next year!

Well done to everyone here who got around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

CptMackey wrote: »
    What a hard day in the saddle. Never done the 160 before and it was a killer. Garmin died at the start of mahon falls. Prob better that it did because that was one tough fecker of a climb.

My Garmin died at the start of the Mahon Falls too. Was full before starting. Forerunner 405, get a max of 4 hours out of it, not enough for these sportives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Great weather. Fantastic organisation. Didn't have my jersey size by the time I registered so they said they'll post one out. Fresh up to the 80 mark on the 100 but getting closer to my goal to do a 100 without suffering.
    Moocho thanks to the support van guy (white and blue station wagon) who found me in Cappaquin with a popped spoke. I thought my day was over at 20k. Got me back on the road in no time although I had no use of the back brakes for the rest! He was from the North with an accent so strong I had no idea what he was saying to me.

Thanks to the volunteers. They are actually the best everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Yes great event, great organisation. First time to do it, surprised at how hard it is compared to other sportives of similar distance. After the first climb, none of our group found themselves cycling with more than 6. The climbs and stops really fragmented it and there was much more solo cycling than in other sportives.

Only quip I had was that at the first food stop I was ushered in even though I made it clear I didn't want food. Had to go across the grass the other side while others who knew the route went down and left. Meant I missed a decent sized group just behind me containing club mates. Know it now and won't make the same mistake next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gombeen99

Well done to the organisers & many many many volunteers who made this a great day. Marshalls, helpers at the food & water stops (it should be compulsory for every cyclist to thank these people before leaving the stop or face a stiff punishment ...perhaps having to do Mahon Falls twice?), the registration people ...the list goes on. I didn't know anything about tacks but did see a guy with a brush sweeping & also thought he was simply a bit touched, I feel bad now. Belated thanks whoever you are! Most motorists I encountered were very patient (apart from the driver of a black 2011 G reg BMW on the way up Mahon Falls) but along the whole route quite a few riders made no effort to either keep to the left or stay two abreast, which does nothing for cyclist - motorist relations. The only other negative I had in a day & event full of positives was the descent from the top of Mahon Falls...was it only me or was anyone else sh*tting themselves on the way down the really steep part of the descent?? I have no solution, other than take out Mahon Falls altogether, which would be a shame.
    A great event & day out, thanks & well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JiffyJ

What a well run event. Rear gear cable snapped at the bottom of Mahon falls, called the emergency number and they sent out a car from Dungarvan with a new cable. Unfortunately the old cable was mangled in the shifter, so couldnt fit the new one. One of the marshals helped me tie the cable up as best we could but had to do mahon falls in the 6th cog on the rear. Never. Again. Still, just under 6 hours total moving time with no gears for the last 45km so delighted with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

JiffyJ wrote: »
    had to do mahon falls in the 6th cog on the rear. Never. Again. Still, just under 6 hours total moving time with no gears for the last 45km so delighted with that!

Jaysus:eek: Respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

pelevin wrote: »

You know the type:

Beaten up 97 registration short wheelbase Japanese jeep, hair growing out of his ears and nose, red neck and forearms.

This particular specimen had a pajero of purple/ blue colour.

W@nker

Should have made a mental note of his registration but who expects that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Forgot to mention I met derealbadger ; he was flying.

legs pretty stiff this morn but the stairs is now doable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Decent of mahon was the most nerve racking thing I have ever done. Brakes are in pieces now.

As for the Garmin it is an edge 500 and it was fully charged at the start so was weird that it died after 4 hours

gombeen99 wrote: »
    The only other negative I had in a day & event full of positives was the descent from the top of Mahon Falls...was it only me or was anyone else sh*tting themselves on the way down the really steep part of the descent?? I have no solution, other than take out Mahon Falls altogether, which would be a shame.

Its a tricky descent. Living locally, I do it a few times each year, but you always have to be careful - the rough surface doesnt help. First-timers certainly have a tough time at the 2 or 3 sharp bends but they were very well marshalled and protected with haybales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

Did the 160 also, rolling time was about 6 hours 10 minutes for 159k's, started late and in the rush I forgot to turn on the garmin until I was on the outskirts of Dungarvan.

On the way over the finish line I chanced a two index fingers in the air salute, got a cheer and then almost lost control of the bike..................:pac:. I can laugh about it now.

Organisation was brilliant but also the number of people who came out from their homes to clap etc.

Advertisement