Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Motherboard Water Damaged

Options
  • 11-07-2013 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, bear with me as I'm a ignoramus when it comes to hardware.

I recently got water on my Samsung laptop. It's only about a month old and cost 500 quid.

I let it dry out and it now boots up immediately. The screen seems fine and the mouse cursor works and everything.

Only issue seems to be the keyboard: some keys don't work and some other keys output double or triple characters when pressed.

Took it to well-known Dublin City Centre repair shop, assuming all that was needed was a keyboard replacement but they said the board is liquid damaged and the only solution is to replace it which, in their words, would basically be the same cost as a new laptop.

So for a second opinion, I've just rung another place who seemed a bit more upbeat and that they can repair water damaged boards and rarely have to replace them.

From what I've outlined so far, should I waste even more money getting another diagnosis from the new crowd or just bite the bullet and buy a new laptop?

Thank you for your time and sorry about the length of the post and my ignorance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I've just noticed there is a laptop subforum.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place and I'd be grateful if you could move it if necessary.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

What make and model of laptop is it?

There is a way that you can see where the issue is.

If it were me, I would remove the keyboard altogether or disconnect the ribbon-cable that joins the keyboard to the motherboard.
    Then plug in an external USB keyboard into a spare USB port on the laptop.
    If the spare keyboard works perfectly, this indicates that the issue is with the inbuilt keyboard, and not the motherboard. In this case, you will only need to replace the keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I dont see how it could possibly be a problem with the motherboard to be honest if the only problem is some keys arent working and others too sensitive.

Should be easily repaired and cheaply, you could probably even find a replacement part on ebay and do it yourself if you thought you were up to it.

dilallio wrote: »
    What make and model of laptop is it?

There is a way that you can see where the issue is.

If it were me, I would remove the keyboard altogether or disconnect the ribbon-cable that joins the keyboard to the motherboard.
    Then plug in an external USB keyboard into a spare USB port on the laptop.
    If the spare keyboard works perfectly, this indicates that the issue is with the inbuilt keyboard, and not the motherboard. In this case, you will only need to replace the keyboard.

Thanks,

The laptop is actually still with the first repair place until tomorrow so I can't recall the exact model apart from it being a Samsung.

I will try an external keyboard tomorrow.

Tails142 wrote: »
    I dont see how it could possibly be a problem with the motherboard to be honest if the only problem is some keys arent working and others too sensitive.

Should be easily repaired and cheaply, you could probably even find a replacement part on ebay and do it yourself if you thought you were up to it.

I'm not really confident about doing ti myself.

When I say the only problem, I couldn't explore properly as I couldn't input my password but the laptop booted up immediately and the mouse cursor worked as in I could click through the first screen in Win 8 and place the cursor in the password field.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

anncoates wrote: »
    I'm not really confident about doing ti myself.

When I say the only problem, I couldn't explore properly as I couldn't input my password but the laptop booted up immediately and the mouse cursor worked as in I could click through the first screen in Win 8 and place the cursor in the password field.

Click the accessibility logo bottom left, open the on screen keyboard ;):)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Click the accessibility logo bottom left, open the on screen keyboard ;):)

Nick

Will try tomorrow.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Many modern laptop keyboards are designed to hold a relatively small amount of liquid and not let it pass through to the motherboard (unless you drowned it with stuff like a full cup or a whole bottle).

The back of the more modern keyboard tends to be a solid plate with no openings to allow liquid through, then the actual casing of the laptop below it covers the motherboard for the most part albeit with a few small openings.

Most times what happens (if you're lucky) is that the keyboard is the only component that's damaged and can be easily replaced. Random keys not working or the keyboard acting funky afterwards being the usual signs. I've had many liquid damaged Samsungs in and, more often than not, the keyboard is the only thing the liquid did damage to.

Samsung keyboards can be gotten cheap enough on the likes of Ebay and, depending on the model, can be easily replaced by yourself.

This is all provided that liquid didn't actually get on the motherboard though it's a good chance you would've known if it did if the machine wouldn't turn on / randomly power off / did other strange things (besides the keyboard). Liquid can eventually corrode the board leaving you with a banjaxed machine.

How long did you let it dry out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Agree with all of above. Liquid will be stuck in between the keyboard membrane. Problem is that it can stay there for a long time as there is nowhere for it to evaporate.

Just attach a usb keyboard to prove it, there is no need to remove the existing one.

Thanks guys.

I let it dry out for about a week and gave it a good going over with a (cool) hairdryer too.

There was definitely no problem with it booting up. When I get it back today, I'll test it with a USB keyboard/On Screen Keyboard and make sure everything is working.

• Advertisement

Sorry for bumping this. I just didn't want you to think I'd ignored the replies.

Re: the well-known repair centre in Dublin that said the only option was to replace the board: I had unbeleivable issues getting my laptop back (I got it back yesterday!) from them and safe to say I'll avoiding them like the plague in future.

I left it into another place that a friend recommended and they said it will require a new keyboard and some repair to the touch pad.

Thanks again for all your help.

Advertisement