Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eucalyptus tree - shedding dramatically.

• 11-07-2013 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭

We've a very large eucalyptus tree in the garden, actually it's a little too large and will probably have to be taken down at some stage as it's about 3 times taller than than our 2 story house at this stage, but it's at the far end of the garden.

Anyway, we're just a little concerned as in the last couple of days it's shed spectacularly. The whole garden's full of brown eucalyptus leaves.

The tree still has loads of foliage on it though.

I'm just wondering is this normal for these trees? Perhaps it's behaving this way because this is the first long dry spell it's experienced in its 25 year life?

I've never seen it dump so many leaves before (other than in Autumn)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

I've seen them do this before on occasion. I wouldn't be overly concerned unless it loses the majority of its leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A scrub land tree and the recent weather would more typical of its native habitat and losing leaf is normal and even mortality rates would be high.

I would consider them a dangerous tree especially in urban gardens and after this recent very hot spell, many trees will be vulnerable to dropping branches, which is quite normal for such 'trees'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's not a tree that we planted, but it's absolutely ridiculously huge. There are some other very large deciduous trees in the garden which are subject to protection orders, and they're quite nice and safe.

However, I think we're going to have to remove that eucalyptus at some stage. It's way over-sized.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how does a tree gain a protection order? were they in place when you bought the house? what sort of trees are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I planted one of these in my back garden once, I loved the smell from the crushed leaves. Never again! No matter how much I tried to tame it, in the end I had to cut it down. The size of the thing after only three years was ridiculous! Be aware the root system will be the same diameter under the ground, it's possible you might get some subsidence after it dies and starts to rot away.

• Advertisement

Sycamores, oak and Beech and other large deciduous species they predate the house by decades.

It's in an area of Cork that the city council has protection orders on all the large deciduous trees. Not complaining about that, they look amazing.

I just wish whoever planted this eucalyptus had thought about the consequences!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Normal for eucalyptus in sustained dry weather.
    While I agree most eucalyptus are unsuited for urban areas, don't disparage them-with the right space in the right places they are magnificent!

Magnificent looking tree, but it's at the front of a front garden about 150 meters from the house and beginning to overhang a road.

It's also behind a retaining wall which I think might be compromising the root spread to one side.

It's going to need a major job done on it fairly soon as it's just too big for where it is and growing way too rapidly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

No substitute for a professional assessment by an arborist, given that you are responsible for anything that the tree does. Given what you have said about its siting I would get it assessed. If it needs removal following assessment for saftey reasons then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Magnificent looking tree, but it's at the front of a front garden about 150 meters from the house and beginning to overhang a road.

It's also behind a retaining wall which I think might be compromising the root spread to one side.

It's going to need a major job done on it fairly soon as it's just too big for where it is and growing way too rapidly
    I've seen them in California at 300 feet high and even bigger in Australia. Probably the most suitable one for a large Irish garden is E. niphophila

• Advertisement
Advertisement