Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house mortgage

Options
  • 11-07-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭

Do county councils provide mortgages anymore? Cork to be exact for a council house i own my own house but thinking of selling and have seen a nice council house that i know is empty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Do you mean will they give you a mortgage when you're not a council tenant? No, they will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP, am I to assume that you wish to buy the council house? I'm sure if you asked the County Council, they'd tell you if you can buy it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Chances are the council will simply relet that house to someone on their housing list rather than sell it in a private sale. They do give mortgages but for first time buyers only and these wouldn't necessarily be for council houses, tenants can purchase their house, others (as in non council tenants) can go to the council for a mortgage and purchase a house for sale on the private market.

Advertisement